Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index Nature's Sunshine Products NSP
For customer and distributor discussions of Nature's Sunshine Products. Not an official site of NSP.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Baby - Bowels

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index -> Forum Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CombinedNSP
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec Sat 16, 2006 11:16 pm    Post subject: Baby - Bowels Reply with quote

Baby - Bowels

My girlfriend just called. Her baby is two months old, she has just started giving her Distress Remedy to calm down and since giving it, her bowel movements are green and watery. What is the connection? Also, she is only having breast milk but spits it up when nursing and keeps it down when it is put in a bottle. I don't know enough about this to give her an answer on either. Isn't Blessed Thistle the herb for increasing milk? -Annie
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Why is she giving Distress Remedy? The spitting up may vary due to the position that the baby assumes when nursing vs bottle. -Copper Thomas
She is giving Distress Remedy to calm the baby down during the day. I just need to know why it would turn bowel movements green and watery. -Annie
Distress Remedy contains some fairly potent ingredients such as nightshade. The warning is given to administer to children under 12 only on the advice of a physician. The reason for the question is that a two month old baby should not require calming unless there is an underlying physical problem that is making the baby uncomfortable. They are pretty much programed to eat, sleep and cuddle at that age. It would be helpful for Mom to check her diet for foods that may be causing the gastric upset with the baby and stop the Distress Remedy.-Copper Thomas
What is going on that a 2 month old is not calm? Is the mother high strung? Babies respond to environment. I'd like to be a fly on the wall to see what is stressing this baby. -John
I would also suggest mom look at her diet. Cut out all peanuts, dairy, shellfish, eggs. I know this sounds hard but as the mother of a nursed baby who had colic that continued until way past the time it should have I found out the hard way. Later my daughter had blood test that showed allergies to these items and her doctor told me it could have been stopped completely if I had eliminated these items from my diet. These are all items that should always be suspect for allergy problems. -Chris
I'd give the baby a little bit of Slippery Elm powder mixed with some juice or milk. Is the mother taking anything, for instance, the compounds in Cascara can be passed through the milk to the baby. -Steven Horne
She is a first-time mother, the baby cries during the day, takes only 10 minute naps and is awake sometimes 8 hours before going back to sleep. She just wants to relax the baby and get her to sleep more. What's so bad about giving her Distress Remedy? It's effective and harmless but the questions make it sound like the mother is a stressed-out mess which is opposite of what she is. Besides, no one has yet answered my original question on why it would turn her bowel movements green and watery. Does anyone know the answer to THAT?

The mother doesn't eat any of the four foods you mentioned. She was advised by a NSP Regional Manager to give the baby the Distress Remedy when the mother went to her shop. She's a very calm mother, just wanted her baby to be comfortable and sleep. I'll tell her to ask the NSP person why they suggested it to her if it is too potent. It probably won't sit well at all that an NSP person recommended it to her if it shouldn't be used for a baby. I'll have to be very diplomatic on this one.

The mother is taking Flax Seed, Blessed Thistle, Food Enzymes, Cal/Mag and Red Raspberry. She is VERY careful with foods. It has only changed since taking the Distress Remedy. -Annie
I doubt it was the Distress Remedy. Sounds like bile. This can happen sometimes. I've seen bright green almost fluorescent stools come out of my own kids already. I would watch if it persists though. How about mom taking the Distress Remedy and baby take Homeopathic Calming. These should do both of them very well as they get their routines sorted out. -Chottsie
My daughter's babies were both non-sleepers and could easily be fussy. One thing my daughter did was to turn on the vacuum cleaner to help the baby go to sleep and stay asleep. It worked quite well. They were also breast fed and had bowel movements that varied vastly from day to day. My daughter was told that that was normal for breast fed babies. She also used liquid Catnip & Fennel and liquid Stress-J for occasional stressed baby. Good luck! -Margaret
How about not taking anything internally for at least awhile and maybe trying good old Chamomile EO on the baby's feet? I very much feel for her. My son, 1st child, NEVER slept. I mean NEVER!!!!! Total it was about 3 hrs out of 24. The pediatrician only said to let him cry which all us mom's know is so hard to do. After 1 month he said to start him on solid food which naive me I did and it didn't help either only gave him lots of allergies. She needs to be on herbs to increase and improve her breast milk maybe baby is just hungry like Chris was. Chris never slept until he was 16 mos old. Guess what a mess I (the walking dead) looked like? The ONLY time he would sleep was while laying on top of my stomach which was quite uncomfortable considering I am very little and he was HUGE and kept getting bigger by the minute. Not kidding this kid stood up on his second day alive!! This went on until he was 16 mos and his little sister was going to be born in a month so I bought him a "big boy" bed and that little bugger slept straight through the night ever since!!!!!!!! Maybe he just hated his crib. Should have guessed when at 9 mos he climbed out. His baby sister was complete opposite. The first night home from the hospital she slept 14 hrs straight. I kept poking her to make sure she was alive. Night and day opposites. She NEVER cried and was the BEST baby. I stress the word WAS. So, tell her it will get better Chris in all the accelerated classes in school and is so good now at 10. -Laura Lewars
Green and watery stools indicate toxic bile discharge from the liver. That's why I recommended Slippery Elm to absorb the toxins. I'd also use a glycerite of peppermint (2 parts) and lobelia (1 part) to settle the stomach. The mother and baby are also quite likely deficient in magnesium. -Steven Horne
Remember that all emotions are linked to illness - maybe the Distress Remedy helped the baby to release an emotion, and allowed her to cleanse something out that was released into the bowels. -Kasara D'Elene
Distress Remedy can be given to babies - it can be given to anyone - it is perfectly safe - the whole bottled could be taken with no harmful effects - flower remedies are very safe - the bottle only contains water with flower essenses - it works on changing energies - and will only work if applicable to that person energies. I use distress remedy with my dog, plants, and chickens - it is great for any kind so stress, small or large.

If you were to take the bottle to a lab, they would tell you that it only has water in the bottle - the energies are in the water, but not registered in a laboratory per se - only the energy signatures. Taking more does not make it necessarily stronger. It will either work or it won't.

Having said that - I gave my son Catnip and Fennel for his tummy upset and boy is it a God-send! -Kasara D'Elene
Green and watery stool in an infant indicates that if the child is nursing that it is not receiving enough hind milk. -Elaine Forrester
And what is hind milk? -Annie
Foremilk is the thinner milk in the first let down. The hind milk is the richer milk behind the letdowns.
http://www.parentsplace.com/expert/lactation/qas/0,,205480_108828,00.html?arrivalSA=1&cobrandRef=0&arrival_freqCap=1&pba=adid=11215238. -Elaine
She is using a breast pump about 50% of the time. Would this draw out the richer milk if she is using it to every last drop? -Annie
Babies are the best breast pumps of all. My info is dated but typical home Breast Pumps are not going to do the best at drawing out the hind milk. It's time consuming and just hard on the body. Depends too on the let-down response.

Has she used the Bpumps since birth? Her body may not be letting down the hind milk easily. Sort of something you have to experience to know. The last drop does not mean there isn't more in the ducts.
Hind milk is "whiter"
She might consider warm compresses while pumping (and maybe nursing if done carefully) to encourage the milk to flow easier. -Leslie Baldwin
Q: This baby is my grandson. He is 12 months old, and until recently was not interested in food. Just was happy nursing. Dr. said don't worry, he will eat when he is ready.

So now he is eating some. He loves anything orange like sweet potatoes, and squash. Does not get juice. Still will not suck out of a bottle. Will eat peas, but then throws them up. Not eating bread.

However his bowels are sluggish. The stools are formed and soft. But he does not have a movement except maybe once every three days. We know when it will happen cuz he will cry for hours before the bowel moves. Dr. found a fissure which accounts for the blood we see.

Dr. gave my daughter glycerin suppositories she is suppose to put in every night. He cries like he is going to have a bowel movement, but nothing happens. The suppository is suppose to melt but does not.

We have started to add a little slippery elm to his food.

He had sores on his bottom which the dr. said is candida. His medicine does not work, but we are finding spraying Natures. Fresh on him every chance we get, is clearing all that up.

So, what do you think is going on? What can we do to help this little guy. And what is the problem in the first place?: -Ardis Nehlich
I would look at crushing up some magnesium adding some fiber like Everybody's Fiber and if this does not work try using the LB extract liquid. You may want to add some Bifidophilus. -Tonja Wells
I would try some flax oil first or some lecithin Kasara
Ardis, Was he born vaginally or cesarean section? I've learned that babies who don't go through the birth canal don't ingest the probiotics that are in there, so if baby was born by caesarean he is deficient in probiotics.

I would start by giving him probiotics in a little water or mixed into a few bites of his food a few times a day and see if that helps the bowel. -Carol Martz
He had a very nice home birth. The mom works at being healthy and eating correctly. No problems with the pregnancy or birth.

Midwife did comment however as soon as he was born---and I cannot remember why she said this---oh, oh, you have a sensitive baby. Probably will react to too much stimulus, etc.

I will tell her the suggestions though on the probiotics and also the other one on magnesium. -Ardis
I would start adding the liquid Oregon Grape to work on thyroid here. -Kimberly D. Balas
I would also add a little ultimate green zone, my grandson now 6 was also having problems when he was very young, I don't think he was 12 months by pretty close to that. I gave him some of mine, you know how children are they want what we eat, it helped very much, even just a few spoons full will make a difference. Jacob my grandson still eats it, when we miss for a while we can really tell by his bowels, and its not that he doesn't like it, its just we all get busy and forget, in fact he does like it very much and the thicker the better. Our whole family is just can't get over that, and he doesn't care what anyone says, he still eats it and really likes it, just the other day he told someone it tasted sweet. It is so good for everyone especially a kid who doesn't eat too good. -Jeannette Romanofsky
I would suggest giving him 1 capsule of Colostrum 3 times a day. You can empty it onto food. Also there is liquid Licorice root 20 drops a day along with Oregan Grope as Kimberly suggested. Please tell us how it works or not! -Valerie
Are you giving him water to drink? He's probably not getting near the breast milk he was prior to introducing solids. He can dehydrate and sluggish bowels can be a sign of this. Make sure he's getting water in a sippy cup. My son never used a bottle either and was 10 mos. old when he decided to wean himself off the breast.

I've always used NSP Pau D' Arco cream on the bottom for rashes. Cleared up even the tough "yeasty" ones over night. -Chottsie
My daughter has been taking his temp and it runs at
97 degrees. So we don't know if that is another clue.

The oregon grape does not test strong like we thought it would. The licorice does however. We had a little slippery elm to his food and the bleeding has stopped but it seems like there is still a fissure there.

My daughter remembers that when she was pregnant that he felt like he had stopped moving much , but when she added the adrenal for her, he started moving again in a few minutes.

As for now--he cries very hard before a bowel movement. It is not dry but large. The next day he will have an easier movement, then it will be three days before the same pattern follows.

He eats lots of veggies and fruits. Not on junk food or dairy. So that is where we stand for now. Any other suggestions are welcome. Something isn't right-- -Ardis
My 3.5 month old grandson had problems with bowels at 1st. I boil 1 cup of distilled water add 1 heaping tbsp of Capra Mineral Whey, not NSP then add
1tsp of catnip & fennel, 1 tsp of licorice and 1tsp of CBG, He no longer has bowel problems and sleeps from 8:30 pm to 6:30 am ever night. He is such a happy little man.

My daughter puts 1 0z of this mix with his formula, every feeding. Maybe that will help. -Janet
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index -> Forum Archive All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: