Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index Nature's Sunshine Products NSP
For customer and distributor discussions of Nature's Sunshine Products. Not an official site of NSP.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Morning Sickness

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index -> Forum Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CombinedNSP
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec Fri 15, 2006 11:13 am    Post subject: Morning Sickness Reply with quote

Morning Sickness

I have a young lady that is pregnant for the first time and is vomiting absolutely everything up. She said that she can not even keep her medication down. -Cheryl Doran
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I would start her out with drinking large amounts of Red Raspberry tea (Editors Note: Red Raspberry tea can be made by opening 2 to 4 capsules and adding boiling water) & Peppermint tea (made fresh would be best.)

I would then add Red Raspberry capsules. I took 18/day when I was morning sick w/ my second son, and it worked well. Ginger has also been used successfully, however, there have been questions on the forum as of late regarding it's safety during pregnancy. -Christine Jenks
My daughter went through this and the ONLY thing that helped her was to fast for a few days. It worked great. I tried reflexology, and everything else I thought might help, to no avail. Classic Coke worked for a while, but then her allergies raged. (of course, she wasn't used to that stuff.) I know you worry about not having the nutrients to the baby, but they get theirs. They take it from Mommy. She was very, very thin and I thought how can she fast when she is so thin. But then came the thought "What's the difference? Vomiting all the time doesn't put weight on either." I also heard another lady that is now a grandmother say that she fasted during her pregnancies for nausea. She said it worked for her too. Watch the blood sugar. Drink water. -Ann Souther
I am so thankful for this forum!! A friend of mine called this morning, and she had done a home pregnancy test over the week-end, and she had been feeling really sick for a few days - she asked me if there was anything I could recommend that she do to help relieve the nausea.
Because there had been discussion about this very topic in the last few days, and because I had time to read up on it, I was prepared. I ran over to her house with the following:

Papaya Mint (suggested she take 1 every hour when awake),
Liquid chlorophyll (suggested she take 1T in every glass of water),
Pro-G-Yam cream (suggested she apply it 2x - morning and bedtime),
There were a few other things I wanted to take over, like Red Raspberry and Combination Three, but I didn't want to overwhelm her. Well, she looked SO SICK when I left her house - I told her to call me later to let me know how she was doing. WELL ~ drum roll please!!!! ~ she called just as we were sitting down to dinner (isn't that always when it happens?) and she sounded like a different person. She said, "Carol, it's a miracle! I feel like a new person! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!" This all happened in the space of four hours! -Carol Matz
Q: have a friend who is 12 weeks pregnant and desperately ill with morning (noon and evening) sickness. She can't even keep liquids down, and when she tries to swallow capsules, they come right back up with whatever she took them with. I am taking some liquid Red Raspberry to her and some Papaya Mints. Any suggestions? BTW, can she use a Lavender Oil compress on her forehead? I know Lavender is contraindicated during pregnancy. -Laurie
B6, two hundred year old treatment. 200 mg a day for a week. -Muriel Hykes
How about Ginger? She could maybe drink some ginger tea if she can't swallow the capsules. In "The Little Herb Encyclopedia", Jack Ritchason states that Ginger is beneficial during pregnancy: It is excellent for morning sickness and has lots of minerals. -Kim Sanchez
THIS really works. I know because I was very ill with my first 4 pregnancies and then with the 5th, someone told me about Ginger. You can buy fresh ginger at most supermarkets. Peel a small piece about the size of a quarter and about 1/4 inch think. Boil some water as if making a tea and put the ginger in to steep for about 10 minutes. You can drink this hot, warm or cold and taken first thing in the morning, it will keep morning sickness away. Guaranteed. If this lady is very lucky, she might have someone who could make it for her before she gets out of bed and then she can lean up on her left side and sip the ginger tea before having to stand up. Works even better that way. (Editors Note: NSP carries Ginger in a capsule that can be made into a tea) -Maya Telford
If the Ginger doesn't completely eradicate the nausea, I have a woman who used acupressure wristbands for sea sickness. She wore them all day. Usually available at boating/marina shops. -Allison Cantilina
Sometimes none of the usual remedies help. Our daughter found that the only thing that helped her was to fast for the day. The first time she fasted 3 days, then after that one day did the trick. We tried all the remedies before doing this. Her baby was very healthy, so fasting didn't hurt either of them. In case of blood sugar problems, some almonds, or maybe, ginger ale. At one time we gave her classic coke, (yuk!). A friend said it had to be the classic coke only. It did stop the vomiting, but the sugar reaction was bad because she never consumed sugar and her body reacted to it. -Ann Souther
Lately we have noticed great success with morning sickness by using Chromium. Usually we try B-6 and if that does not do the trick, we add the Chromium. Has something to do with regulating the blood sugar levels. -Ardis Nehlich
I have found when a woman gets a lot of morning sickness that when we cleanse the liver, it goes away faster. I believe it is the body trying to rid itself of poisons so that the baby is safe. We use 6 LIV-A a day. -Nolee
Please, please - don't use ginger ale for this. Make a tea with Ginger, it tastes good and does the job without all the sugar and other junk in ginger ale. -Maya Telford

I have two "Herbal Babies". I was on herbal programs for both my kids and they are very healthy because of it. I had pretty bad morning sickness with my second child. I found that Red Raspberry, lemon water, Peppermint water, Chlorophyll water, and Proactazyme worked great. She can also use Papaya Mints, and AG-X. The Nature's Prenatal Vitamins would be a great multi-vitamin to take. It also contains ginger. I also took Three (Kelp, Alfalfa, and Dandelion). It is rich in calcium and also feeds the thyroid and liver. Sometimes morning sickness can be from a build-up in the liver that needs to be cleansed. My sister-in-law had terrible morning sickness and found that Wild Yam capsules helped her a lot. According to the Nature's Treasure Chest cards, B-6 and Magnesium are also helpful. Stress can cause a lot of problems so I would also recommend that she try and reduce her stress. Exercise can be very beneficial at relieving stress and can also help get the digestive tract working better to relieve the sickness. Nature's Treasure Chest card says to avoid Golden Seal, Juniper, Wormwood, Barberry, Oregon Grape, and to use cautiously Cascara Sagrada and Senna. Another book I have says to also avoid Angelica, Black Cohosh, Cat's Claw, Dong Quai, Fever Few, Lobelia, and Shark Cartilage. -Dawn Pfaff
I am the sister-in-law that Dawn refers to in her response. I was extremely sick and the Wild Yam did help some. I took it at night with more Calcium and tried to eat a little something right before I went to bed. It seemed to help some in the morning. I am still taking some of the same herbs that I did then since I am nursing. Since I was having trouble keeping anything down, I did take Everybody's Formula and Vitamin C Ascorbates mixed with juice in the morning. In fact, if I didn't take this, I didn't have decent days. I was sick up to the day I delivered the baby. If interested, I will send you a complete list of the herbs that I was on while I was pregnant, just let me know. Just a side note, when I was eight weeks pregnant the ultra sound technician decided that my baby would have problems with his brain, if he had a brain (he is just fine). However, during that time I was told that if the Wild Yam helped to relieve any of the morning sickness, my baby would be healthy. Wild Yam was said not to be as beneficial if the child was not healthy. If this is true, I don't know. My baby is extremely healthy and strong, he does have some structural problems, but they are genetic. -Sandy Peppersack
It's not uncommon to have congestion while pregnant. The best things to do are: take Enzymes. Make sure you are breaking down your food into particles your body can recognize and absorb. I would recommend Skeletal Strength, Proactazyme and Hi-Lipase. Next, put some Tea Tree Oil on a cotton swab and place it up the nose. This will help to kill bacteria. It might sting a little at first, but it really helps. Another thing you can do is snuff a mild saline solution up your nose while in the shower. Lastly, you can use a dropper and drop Colloidal Silver up the nose. While pregnant I don't think I'd recommend taking it by mouth, but several drops up each nostril shouldn't be a problem. Make sure you are having good bowel movements. -Peggy Day
Detoxing the colon, liver, lymphatics, blood, etc. would be very beneficial...but most important is to see what "her" body needs to get this accomplished. Do you know how to muscle test to see what her body needs? or know of anyone in your area to do this? Also, keep in mind, that if she is having a hard time keeping foods down, more than likely she will get little or no benefit from capsules or tablets, due to poor digestion. Liquid forms will probably work best in this case, for they are in a "pre-digested" form. They work very quickly and require little energy by the body to assimilate them. B-complex vitamins are also very important for improving symptoms of morning sickness, they play a role in calming nerves and improving digestion. Should "test" for amounts her body is calling for. -Stacey Brown
Editors Note: When supplements cannot be held down, they can be administered as boluses or in a drip enema.
Ginger made as a tea (4 capsules to 8 oz. water, add a little honey) will calm the stomach. I am in Canada and I believe the Clean Start is the same as our Bod-E-Klenz program. If it contains LBS II (which has Cascara Sagrada) I do NOT recommend it for pregnant women. You are right that the liver is probably involved. Use Dandelion instead of LIV-C. A few drops of Peppermint Oil on the tongue will help the stomach also. A good juice for the stomach is celery juice, made fresh. -Mike Zavitz
I had extreme morning sickness with my first pregnancy and discovered it was a B-6 deficiency. This has helped me tremendously!! You should have the patient take them a couple of times in the day and before going to bed at night. Also if they take some saltine crackers to the night stand and take a dry cracker when they first wake up in the morning. Water seemed to make the morning sickness worse, so they should not have any liquids upon arising in the morning. Also deep breathing when they feel the morning sickness coming on. I would also recommend some form of protein beverage acceptable for pregnant women (most are) if she has been vomiting every day she needs to keep a high protein volume for the baby's sake and so she does not get too weak! -Sue B.
For me B-Vitamins. Before NSP I read a lot of Adele Davis books. She was very much a B-vitamin pusher and I like Nutri-Calm with an extra dose of B-Complex for my about to get pregnant and just recently pregnant Moms – they rarely get morning sickness. -Marilyn Navarro
B6 and Raspberry Leaf Tea has helped many with this. -Teresa McIntyre
Ginger would do well, but I would put her on Red Raspberry because it helps with nausea, but also helps her body during pregnancy. She may prefer it in tea form and you may be able to find someone who has a bottle of the liquid version. It is a terrific gift. -Leslie Lechner
SUGGESTIONS FOR MORNING SICKNESS - With both pregnancies I was sick pretty much for the first 5-6 months. The first time around I used Ginger Root Extract and would put a few drops on or under my tongue when nauseated. During the second pregnancy I just got a big chuck of fresh ginger root from the grocery store and would slice off a real thin dime or nickel-sized piece and just pop it in my mouth and stuff it in my cheek. Worked like a miracle! What really helped me to get over morning sickness was to sip ginger tea in the morning, and make sure I was getting enough B-Vitamins. [Open NSP Ginger Caps to make tea . . . . ] -Chet Day's Newsletter
Looking for help for my daughter who is about 8-9 wks pregnant, and experiencing relentless nausea. We've tried everything! Red Raspberry, Ginger, Peppermint, VitB6, B-Complex , Papaya Mints , watching her blood sugar, eating small snacks throughout the day...etc. She just wrote me a note from Japan, and said she read something in a book she has about "sea bands". Have any of you heard of them? You can get them from a pharmacy or diving store, guess they wear them on their wrist, to help put pressure there, in order to help with nausea. Anyone ever heard of this or tried it? I assume the wrist must be where the reflex point is for nausea, is this correct? Please, give suggestions, we are really desperate for relief ! She is barely functional. -Peg Thorsnes
My customers said they worked. -Sammye Lamb
I recently re-read a post from Ruby Lawler who swears by taping a penny on your belly button for seasickness and carsickness. It can't hurt to try it. -Margaret J.
I have had Pro-G-Yam Cream and working with the liver like LIV-A or LIV-J work very well. -Tonja Wells
The ONLY thing that helped our daughter was to fast when she would feel the nausea beginning. In other words, she had the nausea for 5 months, no break, then she fasted one day and the nausea was gone. She would eat healthy, and when the nausea would return and she would fast again. That was usually every 4th or 5th day. She tried everything too, even classic coke. She is a midwife so she knew a lot of herbal helps. The coke helped but it caused her to have allergy symptoms. The baby is not hurt by the fasting. Maybe this will help your daughter also. -Ann Souther
You can use these two acupressure points: Measure four finger widths above the center of the inner wrist crease, between the tendons, then measure two and one-half finger widths from the inner wrist crease. These are nausea pressure points. Apply firm pressure between the tendons for up to one minute at a time, going from one point to the other, on both arms. That is a total of four pressure points. If this works, the sea bands should also work. Here are some more pressure points that may work: The indentation between the earlobe and the tip of the jaw bone. Four finger widths below the kneecap and one (sometimes two) finger widths outside the shinbone. (You know it is the right spot if you wiggle your big toe and can feel it at this point. If the Big toe does not help you find the point, then flex the whole foot. You should feel movement beneath your finger. If no movement, try measuring again.) On the top of the foot, in the valley between the big toe and the second toe. On the outside of the base of the nail of the second toe. These Acupressure points are from Mochael Reed Gach's Acupressure's Potent Points. You might find that using an appropriate essential oil at these points could help also, deep breathing from the diaphragm while doing the acupressure also helps. -Marilyn Navarro
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I just found out that I'm pregnant, and I was wondering if there is a morning sickness remedy? I will be working full time while pregnant and can't miss much work, so I need to find out what I can do to be able to feel well even in the mornings! Thanks for any help!! -Erin Pfleegor
- - - - - - - - - -
There are different causes of morning sickness, but I have read that most commonly it is caused by a Vitamin B6 deficiency. However, it is hard to absorb Vitamin B6 when pregnant due to a lack of stomach acid. According to Katherine Tarr in her book "A Guide to Motherhood", here are some things she mentions to try: 1.) A B-complex with 200 mg Vit. B6 and 2 Hydrochloric acid tablets with a meal for 7 days, then reduce B6 to 5 mg a day until nausea is over (You may substitute apple cider vinegar for the hydrochloric acid.) 2.) A lack of zinc can prevent B6 from working so it may be necessary to take zinc also. 3.) Ginger is safe and effective. It should be taken in capsules, 2-4 at a time before getting up, to let it settle and ten any time you feel nauseated. Take it at the first sign of queasiness and don't wait until it's so bad that nothing will stay down. 4.) Other suggestions are small meals frequently, a light protein "holding snack" at bedtime, raspberry leaf tea, digestive enzymes, catnip and fennel, peppermint, ginseng or squaw vine tea. You could try kelp or alfalfa tablets (15-20 tablets daily) or tea. (I would suggest a combination of Alfalfa and Peppermint Tea) 5.) Try small sips or bites of very hot or very cold things (freeze raspberry tea or "green drink" and suck on it). 6.) You may also try apple cider vinegar and honey (1 tablespoon each) in a glass of cold water. This is sometimes more effective when taken right before bedtime.

Are you taking a prenatal vitamin? If you feel you are already getting adequate vitamins, try adding the other suggestions I mentioned such as Hydrochloric acid tablets or apple cider vinegar, teas, small meals, etc.

And then don't forget to keep the bowel clean (fiber foods and/or fiber supplement) and keep well hydrated with electrolytes. Hope this helps. -Gina
- - - - - - - - - -
Definitely try the Red Raspberry in capsules or extract - tastes delicious! It helped me with my 24/7 morning sickness. Also the ginger is helpful in caps or tea. You can open capsules for tea or slice ginger root (from grocery) thinly and boil for tea. NSPs Prenatal Vitamins were the only ones I could tolerate because they don't smell bad. Best wishes for a great pregnancy! -Mandy
- - - - - - - - - -
The placenta, as it forms, uses huge amount of Vitamin B6 from the mommy - this deficiency causes the nausea in women who had insufficient amounts at the beginning of their pregnancy. I have pregnant women do 200 (I think it is mcg.) at bedtime until they feel the baby move. I also have them drink one quart of red raspberry tea daily, and take the NSP Prenatals. Then, 5-W the last five weeks. Happy Pregnancy!! -Sharon Grimes
- - - - - - - - - -
I was sick with our second child for 7 1/2 months. Someone told me about peaches. That worked. Third child I started right in on the peaches and I was fine. I was eating a can a day. That got too expensive so I started buying the 5 lb. can and ate 4-6 halves every day. -Jennifer
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index -> Forum Archive All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: