Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index Nature's Sunshine Products NSP
For customer and distributor discussions of Nature's Sunshine Products. Not an official site of NSP.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Horse - Cushing's Disease

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index -> Forum Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CombinedNSP
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec Fri 15, 2006 5:18 pm    Post subject: Horse - Cushing's Disease Reply with quote

Horse - Cushing's Disease

My mare Misty is 19 years old, we kept thinking it was founder also, then finally a vet told me it was Cushing's, she has been on Pergolide ever since and is doing pretty good for the most part, but still has symptoms. She has bouts of laminitis, and we take her off the pasture completely, I have had to clip her only one time this summer, her weight is good. But it is a constant challenge with her. I thought we were going to make it through the summer unscaved, but here we go again. Any ideas? I hate to take her completely off the grass, do you think that I should keep her off the grass, if it is not grass founder what to do????I would appreciate response to this, and any input. I treat her with bute, and isoxophrine for a week then slowly back off the bute.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Hmmm, makes me wonder if one of our geldings didn't have Cushing's then. Sounds much the same. He was almost 30 -- couldn't graze or eat hay. In fact, that's what killed him. My daughter in law thought she was doing a good thing -- she came to visit from out of town, and went out to feed the horses on a Christmas morning. . . . She forgot that Tequila couldn't eat grass or hay and fed him hay that morning. No one knew about the feed mistake until it was too late.

As long as we fed him only Purena Senior Horse Food, he was fine. You might try that. Of course, that is difficult also, because you have to segregate the horse with the problem. -Georgiana
I have a 33 year old Cushing's horse who is doing incredibly well. I caught it right away. He's had it for the past 5 years. Diet, exercise and medicine (about $50 a month) has really helped him a lot. I'm happy to give you names of great reading material and tell you what I have done. -Cindy
Just had a two year old filly diagnosed with Cushings disease. Actually she probably had it when she was a yearling. We plan to treat her with changes in her diet and have changed our thoughts on all of our breeding program. Our young stock is shown in Halter and are Pony of the Americas (POA). Just thought you would like to know the age on this filly as most are aged equine. She has no Welch in her bloodlines.-Nancy
You need to support the Pituitary and Adrenals Glands to get to the underlying cause. -LeRae
- - - - - - - - - -
Hmmm, makes me wonder if one of our geldings didn't have Cushing's then. Sounds much the same. He was almost 30 -- couldn't graze or eat hay. In fact, that's what killed him. My daughter in law thought she was doing a good thing -- she came to visit from out of town, and went out to feed the horses on a Christmas morning. . . . She forgot that Tequila couldn't eat grass or hay and fed him hay that morning. No one knew about the feed mistake until it was too late.

As long as we fed him only Purena Senior Horse Food, he was fine. You might try that. Of course, that is difficult also, because you have to segregate the horse with the problem. -Georgiana
- - - - - - - - - -
Q: Has anyone treated Equine Cushing's Disease? -Jackie
- - - - - - - - - -
Just had a two year old filly diagnosed with Cushing's disease. Actually she probably had it when she was a yearling. We plan to treat her with changes in her diet and have changed our thoughts on all of our breeding program. Our young stock is shown in Halter and are Pony of the Americas (POA). Just thought you would like to know the age on this filly as most are aged equine. She has no Welch in her bloodlines. -Nancy
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index -> Forum Archive All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: