Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index Nature's Sunshine Products NSP
For customer and distributor discussions of Nature's Sunshine Products. Not an official site of NSP.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Calcium in Blood - Too Much

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index -> Forum Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CombinedNSP
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec Sat 16, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: Calcium in Blood - Too Much Reply with quote

Calcium in Blood - Too Much

Does anyone have any suggestions for an elderly woman whose blood tests shows high levels of calcium in blood? She has previously had surgery to find the parathyroid culprit but results were not all four were found and the ones found were not abnormal. She takes high blood pressure medicine.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Too much calcium in the blood is often associated with an overactive parathyroid gland, which in turn tends to lead to osteoporosis. I believe the laboratory indicator of this problem is simultaneous high blood calcium and high blood parathyroid hormone (PTH) levels.

The most common cause of the problem is one of the person's 4 parathyroid glands being enlarged. The treatment is removal of the enlarged gland (which leaves the patient with the other 3 in tact). There is a "minimally invasive" surgical procedure now available for this. See the following web site for a wealth of information on the subject: http://www.parathyroid.com/ -Jackie
My father was diagnosed with MDS, a fatal disease. He underwent treatments of Procrit which didn't help and then 4 rounds of a new experimental drug called zvada (I'm not sure of spelling). During the 4th round my father starting having severe body pain. No doctor could explain what was causing the pain. That was 4 weeks ago. Last Saturday my father was admitted to the hospital barely conscious. Within 3 hours he was comatose. After 24 hours the doctors found his calcium level was at 20.1 which is extremely high. They were able to get his calcium down to 11.3 on Thursday, but today (2/12/05) it went back up to 13.9. The pathologist finally discovered leukemia cells had spread throughout his body. He is expected to die in 1-2 days. Have your doctors checked for MDS? My fathers doctor knew of only one medication that is effective in bringing down calcium levels. I wish I knew the spelling of it for you but it is pronounced like za-va-da. I hope it is not to late for your friend. I hope this helps. -Ed Ryan
This is just a thought on the 'too much calcium in the blood'. I'm reading a book titled "The New Nutrition" by Dr Michael Colgan. On page 63 he talks about calcium, magnesium and the bones. It appears the bones may be leaking calcium back into the blood stream. He and his colleagues state "if you add 600 mg of magnesium per day, then only 500 mg of calcium is required to cause a rapid increase in bone density, even in advance osteoporosis." What he is saying is calcium needs an equal amount of magnesium to be properly absorbed and utilized by the body. For a person with too much calcium in the blood, I would simply increase magnesium levels.

Just my humble opinion, I'm no doctor. I just apply what makes sense. -Terence
My mother is 80 years old and has the same problem. They operated and removed 3 of the four thyroids glands which appeared to help for a couple weeks. Now the high calcium is back. She also takes a blood pressure medicine. -Richard Fleming
Did they say anything about her parathyroid. The thyroid is different and does different things than the parathyroid. When it is pertaining to calcium it is your parathyroid. High calcium is overactive parathyroid. They removed one of my parathyroid because it was ten times bigger than it should have been and now I have to take extra calcium so I do not get teteny. I have a low parathyroid. I would get a second opinion and also address the adrenal glands -Cathy V
Try Yarrow, Black Walnut, AG-C and Nutri-Calm. -S. Mitchell
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index -> Forum Archive All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: