Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index Nature's Sunshine Products NSP
For customer and distributor discussions of Nature's Sunshine Products. Not an official site of NSP.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Breast-Feeding

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index -> Forum Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CombinedNSP
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec Sat 16, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: Breast-Feeding Reply with quote

Breast-Feeding

Is there any way that a woman can stimulate breast milk production for a baby she is adopting? -Lora Slaughter
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
There sure is. My girlfriend did it with great success. She started with an electric pump about 5 minutes a day at first. (DON'T use it more or you will be very sore.) Work it up one minute every three or four days. It depends how long before you get the baby but she started two months ahead. When the baby came, she was producing enough milk to feed her completely on breast milk. I don't know about herbs to help milk production or even if they would work if you're not pregnant, but this sure does. She rented her breast pump from LeLeche League. -Annie
I have heard Annie's advice several times and it does work.

I will add...when I was nursing I supplemented with Blessed Thistle. Fenugreek will also help but use in moderation because it will taint the milk if over used.

Be very careful of using herbs that DECREASE milk supply. Some of these are: (I forget where I got this list) basically any drying herb.

Golden Seal
Juniper
Wormwood
Barberry
Oregon Grape
Feverfew
Lobelia
Sage
Cascara Sagrada
Angelica
Black Cohosh
Cat's Claw
Dong Quai
Shark Cartilage

Don't forget to neglect a good rub between the shoulder blades before attempting to nurse. There is a milk let down type reflex point there. Hope that this helps!! Nursed three boys each over a year. -Jennifer
Q: What can you do for clogged milk ducts? Mom is breast feeding but not getting very much. I appreciate your help.

The best thing for a clogged milk duct is nurse, nurse, nurse! It hurts like hell but it will work. Does she need herbs to increase her milk supply? I know of several, I have researched a lot on breast feeding because I had problems when I nursed my daughter. -Stephanie
Blessed thisle promotes breast milk as well as Alfalfa. -Teresa Gibson
NSP has a liquid herbal formula called "Catnip & Fennel". This will increase milk flow. For the clogged milk duct try hot packing. Use a wash cloth that is dipped in hot water. Ring it out and apply when heat is comfortable but not too hot. Over this cloth apply a dry towel to keep in the heat. This will not only increase flow and open the duct but decrease pain also. Do this 3 times a day for 20 minutes at a time. -Suzanne
Q: I have been breast feeding my 15mo. old baby and have always had some kind of problem (infections, plugged ducts, etc.). I have treated them in the past with Lymph Gland Cleanse, Caprylimune and Bifidophilus. Also, I have used Garlic/Golden Seal oil topically. This time around, I have been doing the same things that have helped me in the past with no immediate results (it's been about a week). Any recommendation would be greatly appreciated!!! P.S. I have been taking APS-II (Someone told be it was good for pain). Thanks and God bless. -I. Smith
I have had the same problem with nursing my 12 month old baby. Then I started taking the powder Vitamin C mixed in my drink. I starting taking at least 2,000 mg. a day and up to 6,000 mg the whole day. If I don't take it continuously, the problem comes back after a few days of not using the Vitamin C. The infections in the plugged ducts cleared up within a day. Also I have heard to try a cabbage leaf in the bra cup will relief the problem too. I had tried other products too. -Linda
Q: What products are safe for dieting while nursing a 9 month old baby? I really would like to take an appetite suppressant or something! Thanks, -Betty
You really shouldn't take anything to lose weight. Anything you take can go to the baby through the breast milk. As far as safety, homeopathy comes to mind, but if you took some appetite control it will possibly suppress your baby's appetite. Fat Grabber's may be safe, but I don't know that it wouldn't take away something from the milk that the baby will need. Your best bet is to wait until you're done nursing. You can CHANGE your diet instead of taking something for your weight loss. That's what I would do. I waited 2 1/2 yrs to take weight loss products because of nursing, but it was well worth it. Try going for walks, maybe pushing your baby in the stroller. It's nice quiet time. -Stephanie
The question is why are you not losing the weight. Please look up Postpartum Thyroditis and see if this may be you. Your thyroid could be the culprit. For a quick test at home. Rub iodine tincture as big as a quarter on your leg. If it disapears in 24 hours you probably have too low thyroid production. Best head to the doctor for blood test. Have them do a full panel thyroid that includes the T 3 and T 4. Good luck! -Jennifer
Watching your diet is always a good start. Eat several small meals that are nutritious. Also a good overall supplement will help give your body what it needs and will keep you from having cravings. I'd try Spirulina, Herbal Trace Minerals, and/or one of NSP's thyroid combinations (TS II, Thyroid Activator, Target TS II). If I could do my breastfeeding over again, I would have supplemented more. Your body puts out a lot when providing your baby with his/her nutrition. When your body gets what it needs, it will be satisfied. Hope this helps! -Leslie
Q: Dear All, Has anyone ever heard of taking Ultimate Green Zone and breast milk drying up? I thought only Sage & Parlsey could do that. This baby is 4 months old, and is exclusively breast fed.

I'm aware of using Marshmallow & Fenugreek, or Blessed Thistle to increase breast milk. Any other thoughts? -Joanne G. Crane, CNHP
Marshmallow & Fenugreek and Blessed Thistle worked well for me when I was breastfeeding. I never heard of Ultimate Greenzone drying up the milk, but I do know it is important to be on a healthy diet and drink plenty of water. Everytime you breastfeed drink more water. Also a bowl of oatmeal every morning works well for breastfeeding moms. -Marguerite Wright
Q: I have been breast-feeding my 6 month old baby since he was born and plan to keep on doing it until he is ready to wean. I have had my share of breast infections, which have been taken care of with herbs and vitamins only. My current problem is that my baby is teething and is nursing as if he is chewing on a teething ring. Because of this, I have developed very sore nipples (last night, one of them started to bleed). I am applying Garlic/Goldenseal oil to them a few times a day. Is there anything else I should be doing? I definitely DO NOT want to get another infection! Your suggestions will be greatly appreciated. -I. Smith
Use the Homeopathic Teething just before breast feeding. It will take the pain away, and the baby will nurse instead of chew! Get a breast shield and that will protect your sore nipple while protecting it. Seal it on with a bit of breast milk. Be sure to massage a bit of breast milk into your nipples after breast feeding. If you have been using creams of any kind also clean with some breast milk just before feeding. I breast fed one 3 years, the other 18 months. Vitamin E (from the capsule) also helps keep the tissue soft and flexible. Just remember that many babies get their first unjustified spanking for biting, but a nice firm sour looking look with a firm "ouch" usually works great! It is not wrong to let the wee one know they are hurting you and you don't approve! Babies do not like it when we frown at them, and the instant the baby softens its bite--then give a big smile and speak softly and kindly--baby will get the point rather quickly. My son hated the breast shield and I kindly told him he had earned it. We'd start without it, but at the first sign of chewing, out it came. I only had to use it for a week, and he never tried that again! If you have a La Leche league in your phone book--give them a call. They are full of good ideas. -Marilyn N.
I remember how painful it was when my boys were cutting their teeth. Coincidentally I will be experiencing this problem in a few months with my latest baby. A firm 'No' whenever your baby starts chewing. The vitamin E works as well too, just put on sparingly. -Linda Cassity
Q: My family and I have been passing a cold back and forth to each other for about weeks now. Even my baby has it. I am on program to get rid of candida which my baby and I got after receiving antibiotics at the hospital because I had B strep. I am taking Caprylimune, Pau d' Arco, high potency Garlic, Bifidophilus, A&D, Vitamin C and Vitamin E. Is there anything else I should be taking to get rid of this cold, especially this dry cough that won't go away. I just don't want to take just any homeopathic medicine without knowing if it'll be safe for my baby since he breast-feeds. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you. -I Smith
One of the most important aspects of homeopathics is that they are safe, that is why the FDA lets us call them medicine. Here is what I suggest to stop passing the cold around the house. Hygiene clean the house doorknobs, surfaces, etc. with the disinfectant of your choice. Wash hands. I know you wash hands but do you keep the soap on them for a minimum of 20 seconds? It has been suggested that children recite the entire alphabet or sing the alphabet song each time they wash their hands. An east coast grade school had a reduction in illness by insisting that the children wash their hands long enough every time they visited the restroom and before eating. However they raised that up to a reduction by simply insisting that the toilet lid be shut before flushing so we are back to soap and water for first defense. NSP's Concentrate is an excellent soap for washing hands among many other things. -Marilyn Navarro
Q: I have been breast-feeding my 6 month old baby since he was born and plan to keep on doing it until he is ready to wean. I have had my share of breast infections, which have been taken care of with herbs and vitamins only. My current problem is that my baby is teething and is nursing as if he is chewing on a teething ring. Because of this, I have developed very sore nipples (last night, one of them started to bleed). I am applying Garlic/Goldenseal oil to them a few times a day. Is there anything else I should be doing? I definitely DO NOT want to get another infection! Your suggestions will be greatly appreciated. -I. Smith
Use the Homeopathic Teething just before breast feeding. It will take the pain away, and the baby will nurse instead of chew! Get a breast shield and that will protect your sore nipple while protecting it. Seal it on with a bit of breast milk. Be sure to massage a bit of breast milk into your nipples after breast feeding. If you have been using creams of any kind also clean with some breast milk just before feeding. I breast fed one 3 years, the other 18 months. Vitamin E (from the capsule) also helps keep the tissue soft and flexible. Just remember that many babies get their first unjustified spanking for biting, but a nice firm sour looking look with a firm "ouch" usually works great! It is not wrong to let the wee one know they are hurting you and you don't approve! Babies do not like it when we frown at them, and the instant the baby softens its bite--then give a big smile and speak softly and kindly--baby will get the point rather quickly. My son hated the breast shield and I kindly told him he had earned it. We'd start without it, but at the first sign of chewing, out it came. I only had to use it for a week, and he never tried that again! If you have a La Leche league in your phone book--give them a call. They are full of good ideas. -Marilyn N.
I remember how painful it was when my boys were cutting their teeth. Coincidentally I will be experiencing this problem in a few months with my latest baby. A firm 'No' whenever your baby starts chewing. The vitamin E works as well too, just put on sparingly. -Linda Cassity
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Q: Can anyone tell me if there is any kind of herbal supplement that can safely be taken while breast-feeding. My doctor has no medical information about herbal antidepressants such as St John's Wort. My baby is most important. I don't want to take anything that will affect her or my milk supply, but I would rather try something natural versus antidepressant drugs. -Ace
I had serious postpartum depression after my fourth. My midwife who is my upline manager had me take Chinese Mood Elevator. She said I could safely take up to three times a day. It really helped. Also I took Nutri-Calm which is great for your milk. I also took Calcium Mag and a liquid Mineral. The question to ask yourself is are you eating as you should? I remember it was easier to grab something quick which is not always the best thing than it was to prepare myself a salad or eat high quality protein. I have read that candida plays a huge role in postpartum problems and this would have been true for me so I suggest no sugars, no processed dairy, no white flour and be cautious with fruits. Eat high quality protein like fish or chicken. If you are a vegetarian it is essential to get your protein from other sources. Usually however the baby can get gassy from legumes - add Spirulina to your diet if you don't think you are getting enough or you can use the SynerPro Formula. Evaluate your eating and sleeping too. Take a nap when the baby naps. It's okay if there are things waiting for you. They'll still wait for as long as you keep them waiting. I know how hard this is. I'll keep you in my prayers. - Sherry
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index -> Forum Archive All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: