Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index Nature's Sunshine Products NSP
For customer and distributor discussions of Nature's Sunshine Products. Not an official site of NSP.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Baby - Constipated

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index -> Forum Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CombinedNSP
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec Sat 16, 2006 11:08 pm    Post subject: Baby - Constipated Reply with quote

Baby - Constipated

I just got a call from a mom w/ 3rd baby - she is breast-feeding him -already, 12 pounds, but he rarely has a BM on his own, unlike her other babies - she gave him Catnip and Fennel and he really grimaced. She started using glycerin suppositories- but only works some of the time. She gave him one this morning at 7:30 AM and 3 hours later no results - I found this massage oil recipe for constipation-
2 drops Oregano
3 drops Marjoram
3 drops Rosemary
1/2 oz Aloe Vera or Massage Oil combine oils and rub in abdomen. Cover w/ warm cloth. Repeat twice a day. Would any one think this would be unsafe for an 8week old baby? She also takes 5 magnesium complex a day. Any suggestions? -Nora Weigl
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I rubbed my grandbaby's tummy in a circular motion, clockwise. This helped him be able to go. You do a circular motion and then go around in a circle until you get to the belly button. He is 2 1/2 now and he lifts up his shirt when he wants me to rub his tummy. Reflexology on the feet work but I could not remember what direction to go. You can take the leg, from knee to ankle and do circular motions down and up on the outside of the leg and this also allows the body to have a nice BM by itself.

I believe part of the constipation is due to the formula. I would switch my grandbaby to goat's milk when his mother was not looking and noticed a big difference. -Donna Brown
Well- GUESS WHAT THE PROBLEM WAS - THE 5 MAGNESIUM (whoops- had the caps locked- I wasn't yelling) the mom was taking - it relaxed the baby's bowel too much so that the peristaltic action wouldn't kick in - she has added Liver Balance and a little Cascara for her sake -hope that is okay - she muscle tested for each... so I learned something here - Thanks for all the input- -Nora Weigl
Trying to help a new mom whose 4 mo. old baby is constipated (has now been 10 days since a bowel movement). The baby is just getting breast milk. The doctors think not having a bowel movement for that long is OK. -Nicole Anderson
What I would do

chiropractic, Lecithin, Probiotics, Slippery Elm
Have mom take magnesium and vitamin C - both are laxatives
and if that doesn't work - try a few drops of LB Extract to get things going -Kasara
I have used the liquid cleanse for the mother to drink a small amounts daily until the baby has soft and smooth bowel movement. -Dr. Hugh A. Jenkins
I would use magnesium. The mother can take it. I would make sure the mother is drinking PLENTY of water. Lots of watery fruits and veggies as well. -Tonja Wells
I have a friend who's baby had this problem. She gives the baby 1/4 tsp. slippery elm in 2oz. water every day and the baby is now happy and bowels are moving regularly and easily. -Ann Jones
Q: Any suggestions for a 9 month old breast fed baby, (also on baby food ) that has strained so much to have a bowel movement, that she has a tear in the rectum area. She does bm usually once a day, but the movement is firm. The mom does not eat many fruits or vegetables. The baby has a bottle or 2 of diluted apple juice each day. Fiber, Bifidophilus, LB extract? I am not sure what to suggest. Please give me amounts for a 20 pound infant. Thank you. -Kathy
Try Flax Seed Oil, NSP brand and give one teaspoon 2 times a day to the baby. -Suzanne
Baby needs to drink water! Also make sure the baby food has fiber in it. Home ground is better than store bought in a bottle. There are several "make you own baby food" grinders available, and that way Mom can make sure the baby gets real, whole foods. Another suggestion is puffed wheat cereal products--worked miracles on my kids. Just make sure they are not sugar or honey coated. Popcorn also worked. Water is very important. -Marilyn Navarro
I have dealt with this a lot give him some Liquid Black Walnut in a dropper. This should do the trick. -Inge Wetzel
Have had a lot of experience dealing with infants and small children being constipated. In this case since you say that frequent bowel movements aren't normally a problem try using a fleet enema. Can put a small amount of Golden Salve, Black Ointment or even Vaseline on the rectum. Heat the fleet water to warm and test temp like you would a bottle. Insert tip of enema bottle inside and slowly squeeze in warm water. Be prepared with covering because it usually doesn't take long for the water and waste to come back out. If fever is associated with this constipation, can add about tsp of pure garlic powder to warm water and mix well. Garlic will help kill bacteria in colon and aid in reducing fever. Can also rub garlic ointment on baby's feet and between toes. Leave on for a few hours. If breast feeding you need to watch your diet and fluid intake as well. Plenty of pure water to keep you and baby well hydrated. Good luck to you. -Stacey Brown
Is this baby breast fed? Since breast milk is highly digestible. Breast fed babies often have less bowel movements the bm's are usually light colored and seedy. -Chottsie
- - - - - - - - - - -
Q: My 4 month old just started rice cereal, and seemed to be doing fine until I increased her amount. (She is breast feed as well) She now gets 3 Tablespoons of cereal with 4-5 oz. of apple juice. The past few days she has became constipated. Is this normal? How can I help her? I want her body to become adjusted to solid foods, but I can't stand to listen to her screams- they break my heart! -Becky
Dear Becky, You know 4 months is pretty young. I didn't start on solids with my girls until they were 6 months old. I also nursed each of them.

Is there a reason that you are trying to get her to eat solids at 4 months?

I would advise you to stop the solids and try again in 6-8 weeks.

Continue with your milk...if you are not supplying enough milk there are herbs that help increase milk production...I have a client that increased it. Best wishes. -Lourdes Martinez
- - - - - - - - - -
Q: I have someone that I'm working with the they are now thinking that the rectal opening on their 1 year old is not big enough for the child to eliminate. Has problems with not going and also gets spasms in the colon. We are doing Stress-J, enzymes and LB extract, I told her to use Molasses and Flax Seed Oil also.

Do you have other suggestions on softening the stool, not just moving it? Is surgery needed if in fact the opening is to small? Would Loclo be to bulking in this case? Someone told her that the Liquid Chlorophyll might cause constipation because of iron. I don't know if I can believe that. What do you think? -Dorie
Dorie, When the intestinal system is 'tight' (and that includes the sphincters) or spasms (which we call cramping) think Magnesium. This will relax the sphincter (rectum) w/o surgery and will relax the cramping. I'd avoid LB since cascara encourages contraction. I'd avoid too much fiber. The Magnesium will encourage relaxation. Both contraction and relaxation are needed for the bowel to work - just like they are needed for the heart to work. -Pat Block
Try reflexology, especially the Achilles tendon. This worked for a small boy having soft bm's but straining very hard to produce anything. We rubbed his Achilles tendon for about 10 minutes on both ankles and he had a bm w/in 2 hours. -Robin
If you give her barley baby cereal or eat barley yourself( either whole grain, which is called hulled barley, or whole grain barley flour) you'll see a huge difference.
Barley has amazing effects on the digestive tract, particularly the intestines. try it and you'll see. – Patricia Antoine
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
Shari, Twice a day, try adding a teaspoon of Fax Oil -- to a sippy-cup of water or formula. You might also want to try the "baby food" formula (listed on our site at http://www.herbshop.com/babyfood.htm), which uses NSP and other products blended together, including flax oil, GreenZone and Lo-Clo, for general well-being for babies. It's also very useful for adding additional "hard to take" nutrients to a baby's diet. Regards, -David Ross, N.D.
I agree with David on the food. Is your formula a soy based formula? If so, this causes all kinds of bowel distress. For constipation and if you baby was given any antibiotics in the hospital, give Bifidophilus Flora Force for a couple of months. Massaging his abdomen in a circular motion, starting at the top under the sternum and slowly and lightly end up at the lower end of his stomach. Do this 2 times a day very carefully to increase bowel parastalysis. You can add 3 drops of Roman Chamomile essential oil to a tablespoon of olive or carrier oil for the massage.

I find Chamomile herb along with Catnip & Fennel very helpful along with David's suggestions. The Chamomile Capsule can be opened and made into a tea with a little honey. Add one capsule to 1/4 cup hot water and let it sit for a few minutes covered. Give orally with a dropper about 25-40 drops in the evening. Hopefully a good bowel movement will follow the next morning. Fiber is helpful, maybe an apple ground up and fed in little bits if your child is able to eat whole foods. Blessings and patience. -Suzanne
I agree. The only thing I would like to add is that bowel constriction and lack of beneficial bacteria may be due to vaccine damage. If you have vaccinated this baby in the past I would re-think this. You may also put the Bifidophilus on the rectum when you change the baby and it will help re-populate the colon. And I agree with David - no more store-bought formula. You can try fresh carrot juice cut half and half with RO or distilled water and also Flax seed or other oils and molasses along with Biff and Proactazyme. -Karen Jensen
Get him on plenty of fruits and veggies and away from processed foods, especially those made with flour. Remember, flour and water have been used in the past for wallpaper paste so you can imagine what it can do to a colon! If he really needs laxative help, try him on LB Extract. This is a combination that helps most children. You may also try adding a little fiber to his diet using something like Slippery Elm. Also make sure he is getting PLENTY of PURE WATER! Just make sure to give him the appropriate amounts for his age. -Mike, N.D.
Q: Our son is 4mos old and he has been constipated for 3 months. I've done everything and the only thing he was drinking was enfamil w/iron and water. I was told to try another kind of milk so I changed it to prosobe and now he's on carnation good start. He'll go a little on his own but its not enough to flush his little tummy as normal 4mos old. When he did pass his bowels one day it was 4xs that day and they were passed w/blood each time. I don't know what to do. I gave him the suppository, prune juice, prunes, apple juice, brown sugar w/water & kayo syrup w/water and still nothing. I now give him the baby liquid laxative on Saturday's only and he still strains but it comes out quicker and he don't strain nor cry as much and at the end it normally comes out soft but only at the end. It hurts us to see our son like that his entire face becomes red and his legs get stiff as a board. we rub his tummy and keep his legs bent for a little comfort. What else is there for us to do? -Cassandra
- - - - - - - - - -
Flax Seed Oil. Have you tried giving him 1/2 tsp, 3 times a day? Since he is on a formula, and the only source of gamma linolenic acid is mother's milk and Evening Primrose Oil, I might try 2 Evening Primrose capsules emptied into two of his bottles daily instead of the Flax Seed Oil. -Georgiana
Q: My one month old baby seems constipated. He normally goes all the time but today he hasn't gone for hours which he has never done before. -Amanda
I too have dealt with this a lot give him some liquid Black Walnut in a dropper this should do the trick. -Inge Wetzel
I have had alot of experience dealing with infants and small children being constipated. In this case since you say that frequent bowel movements aren't normally a problem try using a fleet enema. Can put a small amount of Golden Salve, Black Ointment or even Vaseline on the rectum. Heat the fleet water to warm and test temp like you would a bottle. Insert tip of enema bottle to inside and slowly squeeze in warm water. Be prepared with covering because it usually doesn't take long for the water and waste to come back out. If fever is associated with this constipation can add about tsp of pure garlic powder to warm water and mix well. Garlic will help kill bacteria in colon and aid in reducing fever. Can also rub garlic ointment on baby's feet and between toes. Leave on for a few hours. If breast feeding you need to watch your diet and fluid intake. As well plenty of pure water to keep you and baby well hydrated. -Stacey
Is this baby breast-fed since breast milk is highly digestible. Breast fed babies often have less bowel movements. The bm's are usually light colored and seedy. -Chottsie
Q: I am at my wits end. My poor baby cries and fights her bowel moments and I seem to be helpless to do anything about it.

It all started when my milk supply started to drop due to a thyroid condition. I started supplementing with Carnation Good Start and rice cereal. BAD mistakes!! I now use raw goats milk.

These are the things that I have tired and am still doing:

Black Strap Molasses
Slippery Elm
Magnesium (stopped this and started Milk of Magnesia, doctors suggestion)
Flax seed oil
Oats
Purnes
other fruits and occasional juices
veggies that are full of fiber
Placing her in a tub of warm water to relax her.
Tummy massage

Does anyone have any suggestions???? Please. This has been going on for 5 mos now.

The doc said that her colon has stretched and that is why she needs to take the MOM. She has to keep her colon clean so that it can shrink back, but she only goes every 3-4 days and it is so painful for her. Large and hard.

I would exclusively breast feed but I don't have enough milk. I have tired all the herbs I can think of and all I have managed to do is sustain the supply I do have. No matter how much I let dd nurse, it still won't increase. -Susie
My first suggestion would be to contact your local La Leche League. Look in your phone book, business pages. They could probably help you get your milk production back. The more you supplement, the less milk you produce.

The herbs, Marshmallow, Alfalfa, Blessed Thistle will help you increase and/or enrich the flow of your milk. That and nursing frequently. Just because a baby wants to nurse frequently and for extended times, it doesn't mean your milk is not enough. DO try to get help and quit supplementing.

BTW -- The Nature's Sunshine Magnesium Complex is better than Milk of Magnesia for stool softening. Either dip the capsule in butter and insert it as a rectal suppository, or open the capsule and put the powder in a tiny bit of pure water and put it in her mouth. -Georgiana
The only reason that I started supplementing in the first place is because my supply was dropping. Really. My baby cried for 2 weeks, begging for more milk, before I would cave and supplement. I would let her nurse as much as she wanted to and she would be content till the milk ran out. I would check and there would be none. I understand that it works on a supply and demand thing, but the thyroid can do some terrible things making it impossible to have enough milk.

I did all of those herbs plus Fenugreek. The Fenugreek ran my bp up, so I had to stop it. I still take the others just to maintain the little bit of milk I have left.

I think that I may go back to the Magnesium Complex and drop the MOM. I was only letting her have about a half a capsule per day. Do you think a whole capsule is safe for a 9 month old baby? -Susie
Have you tried nursing every 2 hours?

I never thought I'd say it -- but the doctor is right. She shouldn't be constipated like that.

BUT, milk of magnesia is an antacid suspension of magnesium hydroxide. Better to use the 'real deal' If 1/2 capsule of magnesium complex still left her constipated, I would go with a whole capsule. Use the Magnesium Complex tho, not the other magnesium. What else is she eating/drinking?

What foods is she eating at this time.

Do look up the La Leche League in your phone book. They can sometimes be really helpful!! -Georgiana
The foods that I give her are squash, green beans, leafy greens, pears, apples, prunes, apricots, and peaches. I have probably forgotten something.

I'm not sure what program you are referring to. I went back and double checked and still didn't see it. Maybe I am looking at the wrong post? But no, I haven't tried any program.

I sure do appreciate you help!!!

How long do you think it will be safe to give dd the magnesium? The doc said that it take a min of 6 - 8 weeks to heal and during that time she needs to keep her bowel movements loose. -Susie
Here are a couple suggestions for educational material regarding what to feed babies and when -- It could possibly be that something you are feeding your little darling could be constipating her. It's very important to only let them have certain foods at certain ages.

A wonderful book on this subject is "Mommy Made and Daddy Too" by Martha and David Kimmel.
My daughter used this as a guide for all three of her children. The reason for certain foods at certain ages is that if they are given certain foods at too early an age, it can cause food allergies later in life.

Judith Cobb is a Canadian mom of 7, who sells a DVD/video called Healthy Kids, Naturally. It's based on NSP products and gives lots of herbal and nutritional info for children from newborns up to 12 years old.
Judith Cobb/Cobblestone Health Ltd
-Georgiana
Thanks very much for the info!! I will look into these!!
We don't have a LLL out here in the boonies. I have done my research concerning my milk supply, and they all say the same thing: in order to get the milk built back up, the thyroid has to be working right. That is a long process. I am doing much better, and I have noticed some difference, but not enough to go without supplementing just yet. -Susie
It is working!!!!!

I am so happy that I'm bouncing off the walls!! Here is what I did:

1) I dropped the MOM and substituted 1 capsule of Magnesium Complex as you suggested.

2) I dropped the flax oil and oatmeal and substituted flax and oat tea as suggested on another board.

Recipe for tea:
~1 teaspoon of ground flax seed to 1 quart of water. Simmer 15 minutes and drain. ~Take 1 cup of the above flax tea and 1 teaspoon of ground oats and simmer for 5 mins. Strain. ~After it cools place in the bottle (or whatever vessel) and add about 1/4 tea of Black Strap Molasses.

Now I don't know if it is the combo or the increase of the Magnesium, but my baby is pottying constantly. I am thrilled to peaches, but I will have to back off somewhat cuz she is going a bit too much.

Anyway, I hope this info can help someone else!!! Thanks for all of your help!!!! -Susie
I'm so happy for you and baby too!!

Do get the book "Mommy
Made and Daddy Too" by Martha and David Kimmel. You can order it from Amazon.com online. Sometimes they even have used books for sale quite reasonably.

It's excellent about which foods to introduce at what age.

You could try Nature's Three for fiber in place of the flax, oat & molasses. It's naturally sort of sweet and is an excellent fiber. You can mix it with water and let it gel up and just give her a spoonful of the gelled Nature's Three a couple times a day. It contains Psyllium Hulls, Apple fiber and Oat bran. It mixes instantly without cooking. My daughter uses it with my grandchildren. -Georgiana
Q: This is for Baby Constipated. I am a mother of an 8 year old girl. She was born constipated. It took 6 years for the doctors to finally listen to me that my daughter was not holding her stool and that her constipation was not due to the fact that her veggie intake was close to nothing. How can a new born have a constipation problem due to her veggie(fiber) intake? I was ticked off and left Children's Hospital and went to yet another doctor who finally listened to me and did a colonoscopy and an ERCP and found out that she is lactose and maltose intolerant. With breast feeding, I was drinking as much milk as I could thinking that it was good for my baby. NOT! With all that dairy I was consuming, I was filling her up with lactose. Lactose and maltose will constipate anyone who is allergic to it. Please push this issue with your pediatrician so you do not have to wait years like I did. My daughters colon is so stretched out, her belly protrudes and is on Myrolax on a daily basis. -Deborah
A Constipated baby can be a sign of a more serious problem - if the baby was "regular" and then had a change in BM - the food intake being the same food - it might be a constriction or hirschbaums. Get the BABY checked Immediately at a doctors office - have them do a barium enema -
A baby should not need laxatives nor need to grunt and nothing happen... if that is the CASE - MAKE the doctor listen get it done!! -Ken
When my daughter was a newborn baby she had the same constipation symptoms that her own newborn baby had recently regarding gas pain and constant squirming and discomfort in trying to have a bowel movement. Just as her own new baby did, she also would go for 24 to 48 hours with no bowel movement although obviously "grunting" with face turning extremely red while attempting to evacuate the entire time, and she would also cry while passing the gas instead of experiencing relief. She also could not sleep peacefully due to this problem, until she was finally diagnosed (at about age 6 weeks) with a bowel constriction which resulted in obstruction in her descending lower bowel. Since this problem is in the end of the bowel it was easily remedied by my inserting my gloved finger up inside in order to relax the constriction. The doctor instructed me to do this several times per day for several minutes each time for a month. She improved immediately and within that month she was easily accomplishing the bowel movements regularly and all of her symptoms of pain and distress were GONE. The old country doctor told me that this was fairly common in newborns, and no surgical or other intervention is usually needed as long as the colon responds to the rectal massage. I would not expose an adult much less a newborn baby to a radioactive barium enema or x-ray radiation if not absolutely necessary. My daughter couldn't get either one of her pediatrician to listen to her about this constipation problem so she simply started doing the rectal massages and PRESTO the baby is pooping just fine now. Think about this: The end of the lower bowel crosses parallel and then descends downward vertically. At this point there is a 90 degree turn that can easily develop a constriction or kink. The constriction can be relaxed and eventually corrected with gentle rectal massage by starting with pinky finger first and then graduating to index finger after a week or so. This should be done every time you change the diaper, or at least 4 times per day. It is perfectly safe to increase this massage if you don't get results, but in my daughter's case and now in her own baby's case the results occurred immediately. But don't make the mistake of discontinuing this because it requires continual massage in order to permanently relax the constriction. -Evelyn Grady
Q: I am unable to breast-feed. My baby is on the hypo-allergic formula with the predigested proteins. She has a hardest time pooping - sometimes there is a pain cry with it. And guess what - it is usually the middle of the night feeding that this happens to. After feeding she has the hardest time going back to sleep because of the pain. I have Catnip and Fennel for the gas. Anyone know how much I can use of this for a 6 wk old? Thanks. -Missy
Change food to Capra Goat Whey with enriched vanilla or plain soy milk and a little maple syrup. Liquid Chlorophyll is good too if she'll take it. Try a small amount of LB Extract from NSP for constipation - 5 drops in water or formula. This should only be used if she isn't going - the change in food should stop this issue though. -M. Zavitz
Try the Catnip and Fennel. I have had good results with that in young clients. 2 or 3 drops 2xday work great. -Thomas Easley
When my little ones were that age and had constipation, I took them to the chiropractor. He just gently adjusted the back and every time, they would have a bowel movement before leaving the office..It was like a miracle..We all continue to go for chiropractic visits from time to time....Hope this helps.. -Sharon
Here are several suggestions to try, Any one of these should help, another factor to consider are you nursing? If you are you could take the LB Extract or LBS II yourself, are you under stress, baby will pick up the emotion from you.
Otherwise give baby
1 -2 drops of LB Extract, LB Extract can also be rubbed on the baby's tummy.
Blue Vervain
Does baby have gas, cramping, spits up, Catnip Fennel might work great for this. Contact me personally if you have any questions. -Dorie
I have used Slippery Elm on children. My youngest was about 3 mos. old when she began to get constipated. I mixed a half a capsule of Slippery Elm (open it up) in some water with a little bit of raw sugar for taste. Fed it to her with one of those medicine syringe type measuring tools. If I had to I gave her the other of the capsule later that night. I was nursing, however, if she is bottle feeding you can put the slippery elm in her milk. As my girl has gotten older I use 1-2 Slippery Elm per day when she gets constipated and it always works. The slip. elm is very nutritive and safe. -Lourdes
Liquid Chlorophyll will work wonders. Add a little to her formula. (I'm assuming that's what she's getting since she's constipated.) It's very very safe. Detoxifies digestive system and supports intestinal tract. (or the other way around, I don't have it in front of me) hope it helps! -Stephanie
We used Lemon Oil. Dilute in a carrier oil and rub on tummy. One week on, one off. Can also be rubbed on the bottoms of their feet. Make sure to rub in the direction of bowel flow. -Jennifer
Q: 13 month old boy constipated. Pale dry stools. Dr. has taken him off dairy products. Could that be causing the problem? What could he take to help?
Score one for the doctor. Why is the child drinking dairy products in the first place? Unless he's a baby cow, he doesn't need it. And even baby cows fail to thrive on the homogenized, pasteurized, pus- and antibiotic-filled white goo we call "milk."
, dry stools" indicate dehydration. The child needs water, water, water.
Also consider a teaspoon a day of flax oil, and using NSP's LB Extract liquid. To Your Health. -David Ross, ND
I have a friend that used Chamomile, Lavender, and Peppermint E.O. in a base of olive oil, and rubbed her feet on the reflex place for colon. She moved her bowels 3 times that day, and has had no problem going since. This was Sunday and today is Thursday. -Tammy Ahrens
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index -> Forum Archive All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: