Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index Nature's Sunshine Products NSP
For customer and distributor discussions of Nature's Sunshine Products. Not an official site of NSP.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Baby - Congestion

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index -> Forum Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CombinedNSP
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec Sat 16, 2006 11:09 pm    Post subject: Baby - Congestion Reply with quote

Baby - Congestion

my daughter has a new baby 4 weeks old he is starting to get a bit congested she is breast feeding him. What can she take to help him? He takes a bottle of goats milk now and then and she is also pumping her own. He is just 10 pounds, -Rodi Carr
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I'd start by taking enzymes before each feeding, such as 2 Proactazyme Plus, and see if that takes care of it. -Carol Matz
I used Tei Fu Oil on my breast while feeding and on the bottom of the babies feet. ALJ and CBG Liquid are great. -LeRae McBroom
okay, I'm going to admit I'm tired...and not great at moderating myself after a day like today... Of course baby is congested if he's getting goat milk at all and/or if mom has any dairy from any other quadruped in her diet! Why is mom not breast feeding all the time? Goat milk is so much closer to cow milk than it could ever be to human milk. Goat milk is designed for an animal that has multiple stomachs and is a ruminant. When our babies turn into ruminants we call them 'spitters' and we know that's not generally good.
Keep baby on breast only. Have mom cut all dairy except butter out of her diet. Give mom enzymes, give baby catnip and fennel to help him digest better. Watch his bowels...stuffy nose = stuffy bowel. If mom says it's too hard to bf all the time...send her to me...I did it with all 7 kids for 15 - 30 months WHILE building my clinic and my NSP business. My babies did not ever have any milk but my milk until they were weaned, and even when all 7 kids were home we used less than 1 gallon of milk per week. It can be done if mom is serious about it. Truly, if she's going to give relief bottles she might as well give him kool-aid.
Now, having come down so harshly, I do understand that there are legitimate reasons for not Bfing...such as having had breast surgery previously, but those reasons are few and far between. I'll get off my soapbox now. Sorry if I offended anyone. -Judith Cobb
I agree with you here on many levels but there are some circumstances when you just can't do it. I have someone that had a 31 week preemie so she is constantly challenged in her milk production. Tried everything to the point of tears and can't keep her milk supply up.
As for myself, once I went back to work, which I thought was the stress part, that I couldn't breast feed anymore after 4 months. I blamed myself harshly for this for years and then found out that my daughter was healthy enough to reject my milk. I was working at NASA and was around all the rocket fuel on the launch sites and the perchlorocarbons bind very easily with the protein in milk, most studies are done on cow's milk with this but it is also binding to the molecules in breastmilk. I finally had an epiphany that it wasn't my fault anymore. I did use goat's milk and added enzymes to it and my daughter did very well on it. She is an O blood type though so that may be why. Just my two cents here to contribute... -Kimberly Balas

There are definitely reasons to not breast-feed, and if you can't or choose not to or have adopted an infant, accept it and move on - there are other and better options than giving your baby processed commercial formula - I consider this a last resort -
I am a believer in nursing your baby for at least 2 years - I breastfed my 3 older children until they were 12 months old - I had always heard this was the time to stop and so I did - my 3 older children, after I stopped breast-feeding them, were sick constantly, and had ear infections and colds all the time. 6 1/2 years later with my 4th child, I had learned a few things about natural health, and breast-fed her until she was 2 1/2 - she has never had an ear infection, and has only had 2 colds so far - and she is almost 4 now - her teeth are really healthy, and she is just generally very healthy compared to my other children at this age - I attribute this to the length of time I breast-fed her - I know this is not possible for every mom - but if you can, I believe it pays in large dividends for your child - -Allison Staker
Kim, you and Judith are both right about there being exceptions. In an ideal world every mother would be able to provide her baby with a healthy, uncontaminated supply of breast milk. We are surrounded here by young mothers (many unwed), most of whom smoke; I tell them until they stop smoking, it is actually healthier for the baby if they DONšT breast-fed. And, thankfully we know a mom who gave birth to a 27-week-old preemie who was able to breastfeed him beautifully, thanks to herbs.
The most important thing for every new mom is to provide them with good support and education....right? -Sharon Grimes
For those that WANT to continue to breast-fed and have to go back to work - breast pump, a cooler or mini-frig, and privacy a couple of times a day keeps the milk production up and baby supplied with mom's milk. I saved the milk when I was local and tossed it when I was traveling. I did it for 9 months - it can be done. -Nancy Jackson
Kim, is raw goat's milk OK for type O people? I know it says avoid on the charts but didn't know if that was processed or what. Myself, husband, and both kids are all type O and we go through about 1 gallon a week of raw goat's milk. I cannot stand Soy milk and do not like the idea of too much soy. What else is for Chai Tea and cereal? ;~)
Another breast-feeding obstacle is the baby being incapable. My daughter was born with a cleft palate (Pierre Robin Sequence). Because of the PRS she was physically incapable of breast-feeding (We tried everything imaginable with no success). I did pump for 5 months or so but also supplemented with formula. Wish I would've known to try goat's milk but I did what I could at the time. -Chottsie
I use the raw goat's milk. I do know the one tested on the charts was the powdered form. I try to switch back and forth to the almond milk too. -Kimberly Balas
Try oat milk - that is my favorite - we sell oat milk, potato milk, almond milk and rice milk - but I like the oat best for drinking and cooking/baking. -Kasara D'Elene
I was put on IV antibiotics while in labor with my daughter. Seems like it took years to get her straightened out from that. It wiped out her flora. She suffered from diarrhea, yeasty diaper rash, and bladder infections those first few years. I kept giving her Children's Bifidophilus (we no longer carry this). She was allowed to eat them as often as she wanted. Now I would use L. Reuteri. This is a great probiotic product, better than the Children's Bifidophilus. Use Pau D' Arco cream on the yeasty areas. It would resolve my daughter's diaper rash overnight. -Chottsie
My baby is 3 weeks old he stayed in the hospital for 11 days because of high white blood cell count he took Gentamicin and Ampicillin 2 times a day through an IV. The day I arrived home with him I went back to the hospital with appendicitis and was operated. I started to breast-feed him again the day after I was discharged from the hospital. Since then he has colics which he was not having while in the hospital and breast-feeding. Also he has some yeast on top of his penis perhaps because he was circumcised and we had to put petroleum jelly every day and the skin could not breath. So now I have some questions can I take the yeast fungal detox for both him and I? Also what are the safe products from Natures Sunshine that are safe to give directly to him and how do we give him so I can build a mini pharmacy for him. Can he take probiotic? If so which one? How about for me which one do you recommend? Thank you. -Renata
Get on LOTs of probiotics - you and him - there isn't much else you can take for the fungus as the herbs that dry up fungus will also dry up your milk I would concentrate on making your pH more optimum - eat mostly fruits and vegies - take more greens, like the GreenZone, super algae, etc. get some enzymes in your self to help with pH - both of you can take any of the probiotics, but I would recommend the Bifidophilus - put his on your nipples when you breast feed, or on his tongue, or in his bottle of breast milk - since he no longer has his appendix (like me) he will need to be on probiotics the rest of his life - make sure your bowels and his bowels are moving - the safest for you is the 90 day cleanse with chlorophyll, bentonite, and fiber you can give him some Black Walnut tincture or Pau d'Arco tincture - you can also put these on where ever the fungus is to kill it topically - hopefully this gives you a place to start -Kasara D'Elene
From my personal experience, I was not taking care of myself and had a very difficult pregnancy with my youngest he was born premature, and had a 'compromised' immune system. He spent some time in the pediatric intensive care unit, and when we brought him home we had to be very careful with him and 'germs' limiting the number of people around him wearing gloves etc... it was a nightmare. I never used the petroleum jelly that stuff is just nasty. So I was fortunate I never had to deal with the complications of that.

I feel that children will 'build themselves' given the right resources, if you are breast-feeding YOUR diet is the best way to do that I feel.
My youngest is now four years old weighs 45 pounds and is almost four feet tall. He stands head and chest above other children his age.... not bad for a premie... He has never had a serious cold, the flu, any viruses, or any ear infections etc... of all which I was told to expect frequently.
I choose to focus mostly on my diet ( and kept a strong focus on keeping myself cleansed of toxic 'build up' which will end up in breast-milk) .. ie I drank lots of pure water, ate organic foods high in natural Vitamin C and fiber etc you could probably even supplement your diet with a 'good all natural shake' you can make one yourself pretty quickly and easily (I did) or you can purchase one. It is very hard these days to get a rounded and balanced diet that meets the nutritional requirements for breast-feeding women. Anyways I also stayed very focused on his diet as well rather than using alot of herbals and supplements. There are several organic baby foods etc on the market now unless you have the time to find organic foods and make up your own baby food, I would have to say based on my experience that is the best way to go. It may seem like a lot of work but from my experience it really pays off, having a healthy and happy child is the best !
I wish I had known what I know now when I had my oldest, he has had many medical problems over the years and I really feel it was due to my lack of knowledge of proper nutrition and all the medications he was on when he was younger because I simply did not know any better. I thought the medications would 'cure' him, they did not. My oldest was on a variety of steroids for allergies/asthma for years, when we started using herbal teas he 'grew out' of his allergies/asthma, however unbeknownst to me at the time steroids create a lot of damage when they are used long term like that. -Falcon
Kasara, why would someone with no appendix (mine was removed 3 years ago) need to be on probiotics for the rest of their life? Thanks for explaining. -Annette
Because the appendix is a reserve of probiotics for the body - without this - there is no reserve, or back up
Once I got on probiotics daily - my health changed dramatically - I take Bifidophilus 2 2x a day -Kasara D'Elene
Kasara, Can you tell us HOW your health changed dramatically? I've never noticed any differences taking probiotics, but then, my system seems to never show dramatic changes for anything. -Nolee
I'm beginning to believe that everyone should be on probiotics for the rest of their lives. Without these little buggers, we are wasting our money on food and herbs. Take soy-good stuff-right-only if you have probiotics in your gut. If there was only one product that I would recommend-it would be probiotics. -John Raymond
Digestion, overall well-being, colon, breath, skin, - all of these things improved for me..... I was obviously deficient - I have many other people that have had dramatic results as well, once they get their flora repopulated. -Kasara D'Elene
I agree with you, John. Everyone should use probiotics for the rest of their lives. Keeps proper balance between good and bad bacteria! We learned at our conference last year, that Clell Fowles mentioned it would help the immune system and he surely was right. Babies, infants, children, and adults all alike, especially NOW. -Gale Gravois
My 22 month old has been battling an illness the past few days. I've been giving her elderberry hoping that would keep it away but last night it set in and she has a lot of congestion and coughing. I gave her garlic oil last night and I think that helped to break it up because today her coughs are productive and her nose is like a faucet. What else can I do for her to speed her recovery. She sounds like her throat is a little raw also. Thanks! -Jess
Have you tried the ALJ liquid? This is something I use for my daughter who is 2 1/2. It helps to support and nourish the respiratory system. Something else that is great for breaking up congestion is squeezing fresh lemon juice in water (warm water is soothing for the throat) and let her sip on that.

Another tip is let her soak in a warm bath with a few drops of lavender oil. This is something I do daily for myself and my family when we're sick. It helps with dehydration and helps to alleviate the all over achiness. -Michelle Newport
Haven't had occasion to use it myself but I keep seeing Blue Vervain mentioned on this forum. -Barb M
I would give her ALJ Liquid and also consider L. Reuteri and Elderberry, also Catnip and Fennel is great for children. hope this helps...also fluids, fluids...-Gerardo
We always suggest Slippery Elm for congestion because it will pull mucous from everywhere and remove it from the body. -LaVonna Gates
Q: Any suggestions for my 9 month old who has kind of a "head" cold. Clear mucus. Not really runny, but comes out when he sneezes. We live in central/east Texas and the weather has moved from 80's to 70's and high 30's at night. No wheezing or chest congestion..-Kathy
- - - - - - - - - - - -
NSP has some wonderful things for infants and children. --CC-A w/Yerba Santa-immune system, infections, soothing of mucous membranes --Liquid AL-J--soothing to lungs/sinuses, liquefies mucus and helps inflammation --Liquid Catnip and Fennel- colds, cough, infections, respiratory problems. All three are great to have on hand. If I had to choose one, I would start by trying the AL-J. Hope this helps. Gina
- - - - - - - - - -
Try these, they should help, LB Extract and Oregon Grape. -S. Mitchell
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index -> Forum Archive All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: