Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index Nature's Sunshine Products NSP
For customer and distributor discussions of Nature's Sunshine Products. Not an official site of NSP.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Baby - Colon Enlarged

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index -> Forum Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CombinedNSP
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec Sat 16, 2006 11:11 pm    Post subject: Baby - Colon Enlarged Reply with quote

Baby - Colon Enlarged

We have a 4 month old with an enlarged colon . He had a Barium enema today and we were wondering if you have any suggestions.? They say he may out grow it.? Leaves us confused. He has watery stools after alot of discomfort trying to pass that. Thanks. -Bonnie
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
You didn't say if he is breast fed or being fed a formula -- and if so, consisting of what. Also if he is being given anything else.

I would suggest you follow some of these previous messages . . . . I'm sure the advice given here would be helpful. Keep in mind, that a 4 month old doesn't have a digestive system ready for solid food yet. There are books that tell you what foods may be introduced at what ages. IF you feed them things before their system is ready for them, it can cause food allergies and subsequent health issues.

Try Flax Seed Oil, NSP brand and give one teaspoon 2 times a day to the baby. -Suzanne
Baby needs to drink water! Also make sure the baby food has fiber in it. Home ground is better than store bought in a bottle. There are several "make your own baby food" grinders available, and that way Mom can make sure the baby gets real, whole foods. Another suggestion is puffed wheat cereal products--worked miracles on my kids. Just make sure they are not sugar or honey coated. Popcorn also worked. Water is very important. -Marilyn Navarro
I have dealt with this a lot give him some Liquid Black Walnut in a dropper. This should do the trick. -Inge Wetzel
Have had a lot of experience dealing with infants and small children being constipated. In this case since you say that frequent bowel movements aren't normally a problem try using a fleet enema. Can put a small amount of Golden Salve, Black Ointment or even Vaseline on the rectum. Heat the fleet water to warm and test temp like you would a bottle. Insert tip of enema bottle inside and slowly squeeze in warm water. Be prepared with covering because it usually doesn't take long for the water and waste to come back out. If fever is associated with this constipation, can add about tsp of pure garlic powder to warm water and mix well. Garlic will help kill bacteria in colon and aid in reducing fever. Can also rub garlic ointment on baby's feet and between toes. Leave on for a few hours. If breast feeding you need to watch your diet and fluid intake as well. Plenty of pure water to keep you and baby well hydrated. Good luck to you. -Stacey Brown
When the intestinal system is 'tight' (and that includes the sphincter) or spasms (which we call cramping) think Magnesium. This will relax the sphincter (rectum) w/o surgery and will relax the cramping. I'd avoid LB since cascara encourages contraction. I'd avoid too much fiber. The Magnesium will encourage relaxation. Both contraction and relaxation are needed for the bowel to work - just like they are needed for the heart to work. -Pat Block

Try reflexology, especially the achilles tendon. This worked for a small boy having soft bm's but straining very hard to produce anything. We rubbed his achilles tendon for about 10 minutes on both ankles and he had a bm w/in 2 hours. -Robin
If you give her barley baby cereal or eat barley yourself( either whole grain, which is called hulled barley, or whole grain barley flour) you'll see a huge difference. barley has amazing effects on the digestive tract, particularly the intestine. Try it and you'll see. – Patricia Antoine
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
Twice a day, try adding a teaspoon of Fax Oil -- to a sippy-cup of water or formula. You might also want to try the "baby food" formula (listed on our site at http://www.herbshop.com/babyfood.htm), which uses NSP and other products blended together, including flax oil, GreenZone and Lo-Clo, for general well-being for babies. It's also very useful for adding additional "hard to take" nutrients to a baby's diet. Regards, -David Ross, N.D.
I agree with David on the food. Is your formula a soy based formula? If so, this causes all kinds of bowel distress. For constipation and if you baby was given any antibiotics in the hospital, give Bifidophilus Flora Force for a couple of months. Massaging his abdomen in a circular motion, starting at the top under the sternum and slowly and lightly end up at the lower end of his stomach. Do this 2 times a day very carefully to increase bowel parastalysis. You can add 3 drops of Roman Chamomile essential oil to a tablespoon of olive or carrier oil for the massage.

I find Chamomile herb along with Catnip & Fennel very helpful along with David's suggestions. The Chamomile Capsule can be opened and made into a tea with a little honey. Add one capsule to 1/4 cup hot water and let it sit for a few minutes covered. Give orally with a dropper about 25-40 drops in the evening. Hopefully a good bowel movement will follow the next morning. Fiber is helpful, maybe an apple ground up and fed in little bits if your child is able to eat whole foods. Blessings and patience. -Suzanne
I agree. The only thing I would like to add is that bowel constriction and lack of beneficial bacteria may be due to vaccine damage. If you have vaccinated this baby in the past I would re-think this. You may also put the Bifidophilus on the rectum when you change the baby and it will help re-populate the colon. And I agree with David - no more store-bought formula. You can try fresh carrot juice cut half and half with RO or distilled water and also Flax seed or other oils and molasses along with Biff and Proactazyme. -Karen Jensen
Get him on plenty of fruits and veggies and away from processed foods, especially those made with flour. Remember, flour and water have been used in the past for wallpaper paste so you can imagine what it can do to a colon! If he really needs laxative help, try him on LB Extract. This is a combination that helps most children. You may also try adding a little fiber to his diet using something like Slippery Elm. Also make sure he is getting PLENTY of PURE WATER! Just make sure to give him the appropriate amounts for his age. -Mike, N.D.
- - - - - - - - - -
Try a Chiropractor and a little Slippery Elm. -S. Mitchell
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index -> Forum Archive All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: