Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index Nature's Sunshine Products NSP
For customer and distributor discussions of Nature's Sunshine Products. Not an official site of NSP.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Atrial Fibrillation

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index -> Forum Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CombinedNSP
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec Sun 17, 2006 10:25 am    Post subject: Atrial Fibrillation Reply with quote

Atrial Fibrillation

What herbal supplements can help this Heart Problem. I have been taking Flecinide for many years and I want to get off of it. -Kathy
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Neroli, Lavender & Peppermint has helped my mother, applied on the spine & chest 2-4x daily. This works on the electrical control of the heart rhythm.

How much water do you drink? 1/2 body weight in ounces daily...the heart is a muscle and must have hydration to prevent muscle spasms (fibrilation).

There are herbals, too, but none come to mind at this second! (I must need a glass of water, too.) :~) -Desiree
This can also be caused by adrenals and or thyroid. I have used Nervous Fatigue, Nutri-Calm, Target TS II, Black Walnut and others to support the them. Just depends on what I test for. Getting to the underlying cause is that best way to deal with the issue. Stay off of coffee, chocolate, sodas, sugar and give your glands a rest and the support they need. -LeRae
To Hawthorn Berries I'd also add Omega 3 fatty acids and Gingko Biloba (helps prevent ischemia-caused fibrillation). -rlking

Atrial fibrillation is the most common form of irregular heartbeat (arrhythmia).

Hawthorn (berries) is regarded as one of the most significant herbs for heart disease, and is used for arrhythmia, hypertension with myocardial weakness (weakness of the heart muscle), tachycardia (rapid heart rate), and many other cardiac and circulatory disorders. Hawthorn improves blood flow and oxygen supply to the heart and enhances heart muscle contractions to improve cardiac efficiency. (Source: HART Master Reference)

Although not an herb, Co-Q10 is also important for healthy cardiac function. Research has consistently confirmed a strong correlation between the severity of heart failure and low blood and tissues levels of CoQ10. (Source, HART Master Reference)

Just for your information, Flecinide (actually spelled Flecainide), may cause new or make worse existing heart rhythm problems when it is used. Since it has been shown to cause severe problems in some patients, it is only used to treat serious heart rhythm problems. Common side-effects include blurred vision or seeing spots; dizziness or lightheadedness. Less common side-effects include anxiety or mental depression; constipation ; headache; nausea or vomiting; skin rash; stomach pain or loss of appetite; unusual tiredness or weakness; chest pain; irregular heartbeat; shortness of breath; swelling of feet or lower legs; trembling or shaking. (Source: MEDLINE Plus (medlineplus.gov))

Interestingly, one of the side-effects of this medication is the very problem it is supposed to correct...irregular heartbeat. -Laura Clement
The understanding of the medical community with regard to atrial fibrilation (A-fib)
and its' effects on hunams both physically and psychologically is nonexistant. To gain the simpathy and therefore a helping hand is a difficut task indeed. This the first step in finding the cure.

The main trigger in A-fib seems to be the Vagus nerve system. This nerve runs from the base of the brain to the heart and connects near the entrance to the small intestine. About 2 hours after eating the stomach empties. This movement is done compliment of involuntary gastro intestinal muscle. That's why you don't need to consciously move food through your digestive tract. This jerk like contraction is also sent to the auricle (atrium) of the heart and can cause a caotic electrical signal that circles inside the auricle causing a spasm (fibrialtion). These spasms can last for 1 beat or to infinity, if not corrected. Now the question is, how to correct this elecrical signal?

First try is usually drug theapy. Beta blockers are very effective in the early stages and the side effects are minimal. These drugs are in class I and class II.

The second line of drug theapy, which requires a hospital stay for safety, are class III and class IV. The side effects are sometimes deadly and violent cardiac arrythmias. If these drugs are effective there are other side effects. Flecanide and Propafenone were released in the late 1960's as a decongestant. They CAUSED heart arrhythmia in otherwise normal patients, hence the warnings. Other drugs like Amiodarone cause other side effects, like acute sun sensitivity resulting in skin and retinal disorders.

In addition to drug therapy for the arrhythmia itself is anticoagulation. Clots can form where the heart is fibrilating, causing stoke to retinal degeneration. Warfarin is the main drug for this. Originally only an active ingredient in RAT POISON, Warfarin has taken its' place in mainsteam medicine. There are newer drugs coming to market which promise to replace Warfarin and are much safer, and require no regular blood testing. Hope this helps. -Brian Smoyer
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index -> Forum Archive All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: