Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index Nature's Sunshine Products NSP
For customer and distributor discussions of Nature's Sunshine Products. Not an official site of NSP.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ADD/ADHD

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index -> Forum Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CombinedNSP
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec Sun 17, 2006 11:10 am    Post subject: ADD/ADHD Reply with quote

ADD/ADHD

My son was clinically diagnosed with ADD/ADHD with mixed emotional disorders. Before he was diagnosed, this is his story: He started school and they immediately told me he needed to be put on Ritalin. I could not see putting my child on a drug without looking into it for all other possibilities.

I began my journey at the allergy doctor's office, he said that allergies for sure were causing the hyperactivity. The plan was to eliminate the offending foods, which by the way was just about everything, and to have shots twice a week for his chemical sensitivities. I did this for 2 years, the allergies were still there and the hyperactivity was getting progressively worse. Worse, is really not a good word to use, it was really, really bad! He didn't know where he was most of the time. He was constantly buzzing around the house, the teacher would call me to pick him up early because he was so out of control. I cried nightly, wondering what I was going to do, the school was on me to put him on Ritalin and at that point I felt I had no choice. So we took him and got him diagnosed and began with the Ritalin.

Along with Ritalin we began seeing a counselor, to keep an eye out on his progress. It started with 10mg of Ritalin twice a day, 7 days a week, within 1 week, it was not working anymore. To make a long story short — within 5 weeks they had my son taking 60mg a day, 7 days a week. He began having hallucinations, and was up til the wee hours of the night.

The doctor then wanted to put him on an anti-depressant to help with the hallucinations. That night after seeing the doctor, all I could think about was "what am I doing, this is my child." I knew this was not the answer. The next day I saw an herbalist whom I had been seeing for just a little while, she had told me to bring him in and we would get him straight. At this point I was desperate, and I took him in.

What we found was Candida overgrowth, constipation and malnutrition. I started him on the herbs and a candida diet and within 3 weeks a great improvement was seen in his behavior. One morning right about at the 3-week time frame, he asked me "what was it that he ate that would cause tadpoles to come out of him when he pooped?" Of course I went back to my friend the herbalist, to find out about this. She knew it was coming and we started him on parasite herbs. I would say it took 6 months to completely heal his body with the cleansing at the beginning, followed by several months of nutrients.

The teachers at his school noticed such a difference in him that they have now started to use herbs with their own children and are recommending parents with this problem to talk with me.

Today he is an honor role student and is very happy with himself. My only regret now is, I wish I would have went with my instincts and investigated other alternatives instead of putting him on the Ritalin. I forgot to mention, please check the person's bowel situation. In most cases, constipation is involved with the hyperactive child. Sorry, I forgot to mention, we also included chiropractic treatment for our son. the chiropractor worked on the medulla area and we noticed good results with left/right integration. Also good for the nervous system in general. I hope this will help you keep at least one more child off of Ritalin. -Janel Messenger
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
In addition to what is mentioned here, we also take our son for chiropractic adjustment. Careful selection of a chiropractor is essential. Make sure they have worked with ADD/whatever people choose to label his condition.

I have had great success with Chinese Stress Relief (STR-C) (more so than Stress-J, I think because it is higher in calcium and produces a much better sleep), Flax Seed Oil, additional Lecithin, Ginkgo/Hawthorne and Gotu Kola.

This ADD/ADHD issue is one very close to my heart as my son was fortunately diagnosed with dyslexia, after hearing all the nonsense of how he probably was ADD and Ritalin would be a choice to consider. then I had the wonderful opportunity to meet my sponsor in NSP. She recommended dietary changes and some herbs. The herbal program, coupled with finding a private school specializing in dyslexia, had tremendous results. We have worked with him for 5 years now and he is 13, in high school, and doing quite well.

P.S. He also has a very serious heart problem (aortic stenosis). Drs. anticipated surgery by age nine. So far, no surgery required to date. I believe this has been possible thru careful (not always easy) diet, Nature's Sunshine quality herbs and our heavenly Father up above.
I feel a mission in my life is to prevent as many children as possible from that deadly poison-drug. Also, I am very upset about the liberal use of Prozac, Paxil, Zoloft, etc. for 14 year old girls, who are usually going through exactly what we went through as teenagers! -Barb.B.
Have had great success with my own child with:
Stress-J
B-Complex
L-Glutamine
Bowel Build
Black Current Oil
Gingko Gotu Kola

Check for parasites
Allergies

Check out this web site: http://www.nacd.org. Fixing the child is what they do. We are still fine tuning but we have come a very long way. -Tonja Wells
We have many clients, adult and child, with ADD and have had great success with STR-J and Grapine. Double regular dosage for five days then you can go back to regular instructions on bottle. -Dalean
Last year my daughter, Nicole, was tested by our local school and we were told that she was learning disabled. At that point I set out to find some solution to her problem. I did extensive research and kept going back to Grapine. I was also fortunate enough to stubble upon a company that put together a formula specifically designed for ADD/ADHD children using the Grapine and also utilizing a few other natural ingredients. I attempted to duplicate their combination using NSP's products so I first started her on NSP's Chewable Grapine, then added the Chewable Calcium (for the zinc). I started to notice an improvement in her. She had always been very shy. She started to participate in school and her focus problem had been minimized. I took it a step further a couple of weeks ago and added NSP's Mind-Max to her program. This is for the Gingko in the product. She seems to be doing well with this program, but I feel that there is still room for more improvement. Selenium is another ingredient/mineral in their formula which is something My books state that it is an antioxidant and protects against damage from free radicals, such as the Grapine. Grapine is an antioxidant which also has the ability to cross the blood-brain barrier. The Mineral-Chi is a possible solution to the selenium problem. I may try this next on Nicole for the whole body balance.

My daughter's situation is not as severe as some of the cases of ADD/ADHD that I have seen and I will continue with the NSP products for her until I feel I have exhausted the possibilities. -Joy
A book worth purchasing is Natural Treatments for ADD and Hyperactivity, by Skye Weintraub. -ND
It is important to BALANCE the carbohydrates with protein and mono-unsaturated fats EVERY time he eats. Just one snack of carbohydrate with no protein or fat can cause the blood sugar to be off for the entire day.
Here is the information from Recipes for Success:
Hyperactivity:
Stress Relief*, Nutri-Calm, or Stress Pack
STR-J is particularly effective with children
Nature's Chi (1 capsule twice daily)
Grapine*
Val Extract
Calcium
(See Calcium card.)

Eliminate all sugar, food coloring, & artificial flavors from diet. Always eat protein & monounsaturated fats (almonds, olive oil, peanuts, avocado) with carbohydrates

Reference: Feeding the Brain, by Keith Conners, PhD. Contact: Finegold Association:
Kay Lubecke
We have had excellent success with Grapine and Herbal Sleep.

Could also try:
*[/b]Evening Primrose, Flax Seed Oil, Vitamin E, to get in some essential fatty acids.

* Liquid Chlorophyll, Magnesium, Vitamin C, B-Complex, Colloidal Minerals

*Allergies, especially from wheat, or wheat and sugar (candida), milk, are a big factor in perpetuating hyperactivity.

*Remove food colorings, preservatives, aspartame, etc. from the diet.

*Never get, or remove what ones are there, amalgam dental fillings.

*Chemicals in your house may also be contributing to the problem.

I mentioned Herbal Sleep, which is Hops, Valerian and Passion Fruit. I have an interesting story about Valerian for those interested:
Years ago I was invited to speak to 2 junior high science classes regarding herbs. The presentations were to be one right after the other. One class was supposed to be the "bright" class, and one was composed of kids who had difficulty learning and behaving. I had the "bright" students first.

I had brought samples of all kinds of things to taste and smell, and spent much of my time passing out samples of everything from alfalfa to ginger, and blackstrap molasses to bayberry. I had saved the Valerian for last, because it has such a peculiar and disagreeable odor - I didn't want to lose them too soon into the presentation! As I passed the Valerian around, I asked how many liked the smell. There were only four children who liked it out of the whole class. I knew from working with people over the years that if you like the smell of Valerian you most definitely need some! So I encouraged those four to taste a small amount, which all of them did. It didn't take long to notice these children began to calm down immediately and looked so much more at ease.

By the time the second class was to arrive, the teacher was ready! She had one charming young man she kept seated in the front row, apparently to keep a close eye on him. A beautiful child, he obviously couldn't control himself well. He looked rather confused, and a bit overwhelmed. His seat of "honor" seemed restrictive for his genial personality, but he held his assigned place in peace, probably secretly glad someone was at least taking an interest in him.

To my surprise, the teacher, even before class started, began to use one of the last things I had sent around the previous class, Tei Fu Lotion, and began to apply it to the boy's neck and administer a brief massage! Then she handed him the vial of Valerian I had brought, asked the boy if he liked how it smelled, and then proceeded to invite him to taste some! He took a bite without any protest and eagerly went on to consume about a half a teaspoon.

Everyone was so interested in what was going on in the front row, I had to pass around the Valerian first. When I asked how many liked the smell, I was amazed to find only four students in this class DIDN'T like it ! We had many who helped themselves to a pinch, and the class immediately settled down to hear the rest of the presentation with appropriate attention. Actually, after the Valerian, I think this group was better behaved than the first bunch! By this time the two teachers present were looking on in utter amazement, probably dreaming up ways to get Valerian into the vending machines at school!.

Meanwhile, just about five minutes into the presentation, I glanced back to the front row and was amazed at the change in the young man. He was simply a GLOW, as best I can describe it! His countenance had undergone the most remarkable change you could imagine. Here was a bright, attentive face, alert and ready to learn, like a prisoner set free from some long torment. It was absolutely amazing.

In case you may think that was just a coincidence or my imagination, not long after the science classes, I happened to have been invited to speak at the local library one evening, also on herbs. Not knowing what to expect, I short-sightedly imagined an adult audience. How surprised I was when 8 children, all about 4-6th graders, showed up - and not one adult! I quickly had to change my strategy, grateful for the few small bags of bulk dried herbs I had happened to bring along. Oh, and the Valerian left over from the science classes was in there too.)

Our meeting became another tasting party, the children exploring peppermint and chamomile, parsley, rosehips, etc. And here was one boy tugging at my sleeve, asking if it would be OK if he had some more of these things here . . . he held up a bag of —yes, you guessed it, Valerian Root!

The librarians told me later that this young man lived close to the library, came to every event, and usually was completely off target from the subjects of the programs and more often than not, unwittingly disruptive. this time was the first time he asked appropriate questions and kept his attention through the entire event! They just couldn't get over the change in him, and just kept shaking their heads, it was so noticeable to them.

Valerian root, a tall, graceful plant, grows well in my limestone (calcium) soil. Not surprisingly it is one of the highest herbal sources of calcium, and a wonderful soother of the central nervous system, according to Pedersen's Nutritional Herbology. Pedersen also notes it is antispasmodic, analgesic and antibacterial, and in Argentina is "steeped into a tea for unruly children".

I have used Valerian for my son, who can sometimes become overstimulated and hyperactive. ( For him, we use Timed Released Valarian, because one is usually all it takes.) I have used it for pain, severe stress (yes, once in a great while it has smelled good to me, too), and recently to combat a viral affliction that had strongly attacked my nervous system. The most remarkable property I have noted is..... it sure works fast! -Susan Lebovitz
I was ADD, my now 47 year-old son was ADD (had drug of choice and would NEVER do that again, just ask me about side effects) and my 33 year old daughter was ADD - I also have a 42 year old daughter that was not like me at all. She was totally quiet and studious. I didn't get into NSP until Melissa was 7 or 8, but her pediatrician (top man in Phoenix at time) had an ADD daughter. He told me to get the Dr. Feingold book, You and Your Hyperactive Child. He said "you don't want to give your child drugs". This was a MD! Melissa had no food additives, (read labels on soups, catsup, etc., etc) and no sugar, even hidden sugars. She did great!

If she got candy somewhere, you had to pull her off the ceiling. I was a stay at home mom and provided her with definite behavior guidelines, and she was the joy of my life! ( I had lost 3 between my second child and her and couldn't get pregnant in between) She still doesn't care for sweets. Now she has a baby who is just like her, 15 months old and no sugar! They were both the same in that when they get tired they get wired rather than subdued - but a firm tone of voice takes care of that. Well, Melissa isn't like that now, but was. She is so good with her daughter because she knows what a difference it made in her life. Her husband is learning to be a believer. I really thank God for the MD we had at that time — he was my introduction into natural. His 11 year-old daughter was wild, he read that book and applied the principles to his daughters diet, etc. He told me that she was a totally different child on the Feingold diet.

No herbal help here, but I feel this is the most important part of it anyway. -Georgiana
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Q: I read an article about Blue Green Algae helping children with ADD symptoms. Is Spirulina appropriate for children to take for ADD. Also I would like to know how Focus Attention is given to a child without swallowing a capsule. Does it come in a chewable or liquid form. -Sophia
Focus Attention works great! Have had many successes with it. Mineral Maintenance and trace minerals have been used with it. Also, as for children who can not swallow capsules you can empty the capsules out into foods, juices, teas. Use a liquid multivitamin mineral like our VitaWave. -Stacey L Brown
Does Focus Attention come in a chewable or liquid form? Gotu Kola is working great on my 3rd grader which had a problem focusing and getting motivated with school work. -Anna Williams
Editorial Note: Often you can make an extract out of herbs.
My one year old is taking Focus and it is working well. We open capsules and mix it into the children's liquid multiple mix well. Then add some orange juice or herbal fruit punch. Mix again. He loves the taste. Try it yourself. First tastes just fine and he loves the results good luck. -Pat Paulson
We have always given our children their capsules with applesauce if they were unable to swallow them. With water make sure they are pointed straight down the throat rather than sideways like a missel ready to be launched. It seems to go down much easier. I have not tried Super Algae or Spirulina for ADD but have used Nature's Chi prior to Focus Attention coming out. Passion Flower works well too in case the child is having trouble shutting down at night. We now have an child who no longer exhibits ADD symptoms. The Dr's wanted us doing Ritalin with her but I did not feel that was the best route to take. Hope this helps you. -Cindy Ortagus
In many cases the child is indeed attention deprived. He or she knows beyond doubt that they are unloveable, therefore not loved. Often they don't even like themselves. In today's world too many parents do not show enough time love and genuine attention to their children. Bad mistake! This disorder is definitely, I believe, diet related. Too much of the bad foods and not enough fresh whole and raw. To correct this disorder one must remove sugar, dyes and refined foods from the diet. Many children can't even digest sugar or even milk and suffer from this. A journal to record the foods may help. To point out suspect foods I suggest that everyone needs a good multiple vitamin and mineral daily. Flax Seed Oil is often needed for the essential fatty acids. Nature's Sunshine's Focus Attention has been proven to help many. Combination Eight Concentrate has helped many including a four year boy. He asks his mother, "Can I have some more of my pills? I like it better how I feel when I take it." Their nervous system needs help. Grapine is another helpful product. Again my suggestions include an abundance of love and attention with open conversation. Ask what is bothering them and can you help. Is the problem a sibling, school, teacher, classmates, parent? A good diet, eliminate the junk foods. Nervine herbs, Eight Concentrate helps sleep. Multiple vitamin and mineral, Focus Attention, Flax Seed Oil. Check for parasites. A child can't sit still if he has worms. Check for candida. If the tongue is coated white suspect candida. Assure yourself that he/ she is having proper elimination, two bowel movements daily. Assure they are drinking adequate amount of water. Pray with and for the child as well as the family. -Dr Sandy Taylor ND
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
My son is in third grade and it has been suggested that he be tested for ADHD. His problem is not with getting his work done but more with hyperactivity and impulsive behavior like calling out in class when it is not appropriate, conflicts with other children because of his calling out which is making him have a hard time making friends, wanting to be the center of the teachers or groups attention, etc. He is an extremely bright child who was moved up to third grade. After finishing first grade he needs to be able to control his impulsiveness. I am willing to try medication but would prefer to try something natural. First my chiropractor has suggested Grapine with Protectors. I have been reading the posted advice of others on the website and would like more information on Grapine and Focus Attention. What would best help this child.
Hope the school isn't pressuring you into considering Ritalin. Some info on ritalin, it is a class narcotic in same group as heroine and cocaine also there has never been not one long term study done on ritalin for long term effects, so even the manufacturers of this drug do not know the side effects on the body. This is why you have to sign a waiver so that you can not hold the company liable of any side effects. Also have to ask yourself is your child ritalin deficient no way mineral nutritional deficient. Yes, he sounds like a very intelligent boy. Have had several of my clients use Focus Attention and Mineral Maintenance or Colloidal Minerals. This program has worked great for all who have tried it. Might want to muscle test if you can to see how much his body will need. Also might look into formulas such as Herbal Sleep, Hops, Valerian, Passion Flower or Stress-J. Have had great testimonials from use of these products, used for nervousness, fidgeting, inability to concentrate. For best results I would definitely try muscle testing for his exact needs. Good luck to you and your son. Watch the diet, also limit sugar, carbohydrates, processed foods and artificial colors, preservatives, sweeteners. Also might want to divide dosages up keeping them constantly in the system vs once a day. Maybe minerals and focus in morning with breakfast then remaining after school. -Stacey Brown
Q: We have a video which explains that dyslexia can be a cause of ADD/ADAH. Also it would be important to find out if there are any food allergies, over abundance of mercury, parasites and a lack of minerals could be the cause. Mineral Chi would be good Stress-J liquid or caps, Magnesium, Brain Protex, Passion Flower, Super Algae or Spirulina could all contribute. Roman Chamomile for relaxing and Focus Attention used on the feet and forehead would be great prayers are with you. -Jeannie
Hi Jean. You've tried a lot of the right things and got the wrong results that makes me think his energy flow may be reversed. With reversed polarity you won't get the right results if everything is backwards. I would try Super Algae or Spirulina as well as Morinda, Noni Juice. To help correct the energy flow ask him to rub his belly the way the clock goes. See if he goes in the right direction help him do it if you have to. For a few minutes this will temporarily correct the energy flow. Always clockwise. -Nancy
Have your son do the spit test for candida in the morning before he drinks or eats anything. Immediately upon rising have him spit into a glass of water. He should really make it a game and try to get all of the goop out of his mouth. If the spit has any stringers down into the water thick or thin then the chances are good he could have candida. It's not what Dr's would consider a good diagnostic tool but might give you an idea of whether or not candida is involved. Also consider trying putting him on the Zone Diet. It can help regulate insulin quite well. -Kathy
I think the products he is on are very good ones but try adding Liquid Licorice Extract. I have found that these children have exhausted adrenals. Probably l tsp 3 times daily. Also try Gaba which also calms the brain. Diet is imperative but you haven't mentioned it. Be sure to avoid all sugars, dairy and any food additives, dyes or preservatives. I know this is difficult but these children are extremely sensitive to chemicals and have severe allergies. Depending on his blood type also avoid wheat. This means shopping for only organic foods. It is more expensive but it is worth it. Some children reverse on diet alone. Blessings! -Gail Pfaff, ND
My nephew went from remedial reading to computer genius very knowledgeable. Learn to balance blood sugar is the best you can do with foods. Learn about the glycemic index foods used Licorice and Grapine. Gingko Gotu Kola in the a m Kava and Stress- J at night. Rev up and wind down all cross the blood brain barrier. -J Weiss
We've had very good luck treating this situation at root cause either the out of control candida condition or the parasite infection or in many cases both conditions are present. A good candida control diet, lots of Bifidophilus, Colloidal Minerals, no red meat, no diary and a good parasite cleanse coupled with the Tiao He Cleanse. Should start helping also consider adding Super Supplemental or chewable vitamins. -Ray
My children have been Ritalin free for two years and they are doing great. The diet is the key ingredient to success. Avoid dyes, additives, sugars, milk and milk products and processed foods. Check for other food allergies. Watch for hypoglycemia and possibly parasites. Contact the Finegold Association for help on this. Provide things to calm the nervous system such as Nutri-Calm, B Complex and Chamomile. Brain Protex, and GABA Plus have been helpful. It is important that they get Flax Seed Oil and Grapine. Feed the adrenal glands with Licorice Root and give them a protein snack at night instead of sugar. Nature's Chi gives an immediate result but don't start with a whole pill. Adjust it according to your child's needs. –Laurie
========================
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index -> Forum Archive All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: