Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index Nature's Sunshine Products NSP
For customer and distributor discussions of Nature's Sunshine Products. Not an official site of NSP.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Acid Reflux & Hiatal Hernia

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index -> Forum Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CombinedNSP
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec Sun 17, 2006 11:13 am    Post subject: Acid Reflux & Hiatal Hernia Reply with quote

ACID REFLUX & HIATAL HERNIA

Hiatal Hernia: Stomach is bulging up into the diaphragm, sending stomach acid into esophagus, creating a burning feeling after eating.

*Anti-Gas Formula or Chinese Anti-Gas and P D A to prevent the formation of gas
*Intestinal/Soothe & Build to soothe digestive tract and improve digestion

© Lubecke Enterprises, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Recipes for Success Card Reference File
http://www.sunshinesupport.com/recipes.shtml
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
For the hiatal hernia I will give you an excellent previous message that also tells you how to put the stomach back in place. It wouldn't happen without bad digestion, without adequate HCL in the stomach the food ferments rather than digests causing gases and bad acid to form. This pushes at the hiatal valve, eventually causing the hernia. So you want PDA with protein meals and Proactazyme for enzymes with your meals. There are other specific enzymes available also: Hi Lipase for fats, Leguzyme for Legumes and cruciferous veggies. THEN I also would suggest you do a bowel cleanse. The two most important things anyone can do - 1) Digest, 2) Eliminate - properly! This will prevent many prostate problems in men and female problems also. -Georgiana Duncan
I have had a lot of experience with hiatal hernias and it can affect almost everything in a person's body especially digestion which is sorely needed for healing anything in the body. Lately I put a woman on Whole Leaf Aloe Vera and open up the Slippery Elm capsules and put them in there, change their diet from wheat products, go liquid as much as you can in minerals, digestive enzymes, and get someone to pull her stomach down.

In my own experience and with dealing with others over the years, I feel like Georgiana in that Jack's method might be of some help. I was taught this method about 12 years ago and have since done many of my clients. It is easy to do as long as you are careful. Look for the V of the ribs where they join at the solar plexus, and go down 1 inch to stay away from the sternum, and take 3 fingers and as they breath in with a big breath, then gently at first pull down, as they breath out, and do it a few times. I usually feel for a lump and sometimes have to pull down from the liver or pancreas side, sometimes straight down, and you can do a little heavier as each day goes along and it is instant relief with some. Jack also does a manipulation of the ileo cecal valve, I don't usually, but it is good.

Then I tell them not to bend over, but squat to pick up things. The major thing that seems to be a problem is WHEAT. I had to go off all breads for 4 months and most people feel that BREADS will just stay in that area and it is agony, now I can eat them sparingly. Caffeine, and alcohol and mint as well is a problem, I don't know if she has any of these. The liver is usually congested and should cleanse, but if you can't, try the above. It is true about HCL, Protein Digestive Aide being good. Also I take 2 capsules of Slippery Elm and put it into the Whole Leaf Aloe Vera, and take it 3 times a day. Safflower cuts acids in the stomach. Maybe just one liver herb, such as Chinese Liver Balance or Liver Cleanse Formula, if she will not cleanse. The Chinese Spleen Activator has been very helpful to some as well. This has been a wonderful program for my clients over the years. But I can not overemphasize the BREADS! -Joanne Thaxter
For your hiatal hernia Slippery Elm (bulk) is fabulous. -Peggy Day
For hiatal hernia Chinese Spleen Activator (Chinese Weak Stomach) to strengthen the digestive system and Anti-Gas Formula or Chinese Anti-Gas. Intestinal/Soothe & Build is also good to reduce inflammation. Lobelia to reduce spasms. -Candy
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Usually, acid reflux needs either enzymes or more hydrochloric acid yes, I said more. This is usually the stomach churning up more acid because of the lack of it. It cannot digest food properly and the rotting food can cause excess gas. Try PDA or Papaya Mint enzymes. -Laura
With an O, it can actually be a protein deficiency causing the reflux. I would start there. Also, I use a lot of Gastro Health and Marshmallow for this with food. The Collatrim helps to tone the valve that gets left open. There are also exercises that were listed to do here to for closing the valve. I would look at Cellular Energy to flush tissue acids and get them buffered with something like lemon and water often. -Kimberly Balas
I would MT for MSM and DGL or Licorice Root ( Not recommended if person has high blood pressure). The best way to take it is open a capsule and let it slide down coating the esophagus. Tell her to drink a cup of tea made from a Licorice Root cap before bed. Nothing added just the tea. The sweet taste takes a lot to get use to, but it works. What it does is provide a protect coat in the esophagus, so when the reflux comes up in the esophagus it prevents the irritation which can aggravate the esophagus at night.

*Stay away for things that relax the cardiac sphincter like peppermint.
*MSM contains surfur and a lot of people with GERD are deficient.

I would try this first to start the healing process, then workup to improving digestion. Is the person under 30 or over 30. If it is true GERD then there is over production of acid. This is a disorder. Usually strikes people who are 30 and under. If over thirty it could be GERD, but more and likely their Acid Reflux is caused by a lack of motility within the GI system. I'd look to improving their digestion. You will have to determine their transient time. I'd think about their diet do they eat a lot of protein then go for the food enzymes, it not go for the plant enzymes.

I had eroded esophagus and took all the prescription meds none worked and these are potentially strong dangerous drugs with long term effects. They need to get off them. Taking Prevacid over the age of 30 is not good. You are suppressing what little acid you have, and this only leads to more motility problems. I say the indigestion over the age of thirty is a direct result of the lack of the stomach emptying on time. If the stomach is not emptying as it should within 3 hours. Then the food is laying to long in the stomach and backup the system. I see this all the time in the elderly. I believe motility is a major problem in people over 30, and prilosec, prevacid, nexium and protonix etc., with not help but further complicate the problem. Good Luck. -Darcy
My 2 cents -
What is this persons' blood type, and how does this diet fit into that? Sounds like they are an A blood type - I think it is great that they found something that worked for them - but if it was me, I would want to understand more - and find ways so I don't have to take drugs to fix it in the future.

We have many customers that come in here with acid reflux and the majority of them have hiatel hernias and all of them have their saliva pH off. Once we send them to a chiropractor (or other person who can fix this) and get their pH working properly, all their issues go away. Other issues include eating too fast, eating too much, not chewing their food, and eating the wrong foods for their bodies.

Now we are hearing on the radio lately about another new "disease" that the doctors have come with to prescribe another pill for can't remember the name, but if people would just eat better, and less, and chew their food, etc. - most of these issues would go away.

I can see how digestive issues can and do cause all kinds of other health issues - makes perfect sense to me, and I see it quite a lot with many of my customers. -Kasara D'Elene
Hello, I personally think, when it comes to enzymes you must consider the persons age and diet of the individual esp. if you are working with Food Enzymes with HCL. It is true enzymes are depleted from the bodies reserves, because of our diet, and lack of replacement.

If the client is 3O years old or younger I would not use enzymes I would suggest some diet changes and have them use Ginger, or the Bitters to stimulate the digestive juices. If you must use enzymes do not use any that increase the HCL. If they have gastric reflux disease I would not use enzymes. I would use things that are healing to the digestive system as stated; diet changes, if the client doesn't have high blood one of the best lubricants to heal is open a capsule of Licorice Root and swallow, also Marshmallow, or Slippery Elm[i] works well. Also add [i]probiotics.

If the client is over 30 years old then find out the diet if they eat a lot of meats offer them protease enzymes and so on. Usually the digestive system is sluggish, there is not enough HCL I prefer Food Enymes for this problem, and the stomach is slow emptying which presents with indigestion. This is a motility problem not a overactive problem. Everything slows down. So we need to stimulate in a different way then if they were 30 years old and below. -Darcy
Where there has been loss and emotional distress, I would really consider the Stress-J besides the digestive aids since this is the core group of nerves solar plexus. -Kimberly Balas
Along with the Gastro-Health, perhaps you should test her on Safflowers - that usually tests well with the Gastro-Health AND, sometimes something for inflammation, like IF-C, Yucca, MSM. -Carol Matz
I would increase the hydrochloric acid within his stomach, I think PDA does this. What I believe is happening is that he does not have enough acid, and then there is a signal saying make more. The end result is he has acid burning. I know how to do this, using other products I think PDA will do this. -Jeff Frankel
Have his valves checked...Kasara has already educated us many times on where they are, etc. Check for hiatal hernia and do the stomach pull down. I would also drink Aloe Juice. I would increase the hydrochloric acid within his stomach, I think PDA does this. PDA contains Hcl. To do it naturally, use Safflowers. -Leslie Lechner
How about Stomach Comfort? Papaya Mint is good too. -Laura Lewars
Oh my gosh do I know this in fact it was me I had erosive esophagus from this. I was on every GERD med and nothing worked in 2001. It was hard when I went off prilosec, because I got rebound reflux that was so bad it burned the inside of my mouth. I was on the net one day looking for help. I came across Licorice Root made into tea -- it tastes horrible, but you drink a cup before bed every night. It helped me so much. Warning***It is Contraindicated if you have high blood pressure.

My endoscopy showed up negative after a couple of months of this and no drug use.

This is a heated condition so licorice root tea helped me, but you have to literally drink it as tea slowly in sips. Even though licorice is in stomach comfort this works better. Also, I used MSM.

Licorice root or DGL helps to maintain the bodies defense mechanisms, works by increasing the resistance of the lining of the stomach and the esophagus. By increasing the resistance of that tissue to any acid that may happen to be there. Licorice increases the mucus coating of the tissue, so it is recommended if you have GERD to take Licorice root in chewable form before meals it makes the lining of the esophagus more resistant to any acid they may splash up in there.

MSM helps to control hyperacidity/heartburn naturally. Patients who have used antacids and products like Tagamet and Zantac make themselves worse by becoming dependent upon them. MSM is a nutritional supplement that has been shown to be more effective in stabilizing the digestive process and environment in doses of 3000 mg per day. You must also drink plenty of water. -Darcy
I get reflux from refined flour products. I try to steer clear of these, but when it rears it's nasty head, I take extra calcium and sip on a Chai Tea with ginger root in it. Ginger is really good for tummy problems. -Marlene
Our manager told us that it would take a full bottle of Licorice to raise blood pressure. She said it is yet another tale from doctors to keep you afraid of using a small amount of even a tea like you suggested. My aunt is taking 6 licorice a day for adrenal problems and has for over a year and her blood pressure (which is usually high) has lowered, so go figure!!! -Annie
Just purchase the ginger capsules. They are absolutely WONDERFUL opened into tea (2 per cup with honey) and before traveling and in cooking. I never scrape ginger root anymore, I just add one capsule to recipes. Ginger is an amazing herb. -Annie
Annie, is she taking any herbs with potassium or a diuretic effect, because that may be why it is not affecting her blood pressure? I am not so sure that information is correct about a whole bottle of licorice root before it will affect your BP, because I think everyone is different. It would be wise to be careful and tell your clients about the potential. However, as I said, a diuretic like Dandelion with it should work synergistically, and balance it out therefore it should not cause an elevation. -Darcy
Read this book - Your Health, Your Choice by Dr. Ted Morter - you can get it used from Amazon.com as I think it is out of print - explains in plain English and yet in depth the whole process of how this happens and how to fix it. -Kasara D'Elene
Try Digestive Bitters. In a product focus call it was explained that this tonifies the muscles at the entrance to the stomach. If this muscle is tight, as it should be when we are not eating, acid cannot come up the esophagus. It only takes one bottle to make a major difference in a lot of people. It does good things for digestion also, which may also be of benefit. -Marilyn Navarro
Slippery Elm works great for ulcerations of the stomach lining. -John
Stomach Comfort, of course for symptomatic relief. Aloe is a good one, test for hiatel hernia and/or H pylori. These can often be a culprit. Did you do the Apple Cider Vinegar test? Laura
The ACV test is just taking 1 oz straight up of ACV when acid reflux is happening. If the reflux goes away, you have too much acid. Make sure she is taking ACV because I had a client once that insisted she bought ACV but she bought apple wine vinegar. Not the same.

Also test her gallbladder because everything I read on gallstones sometimes can mimic symptoms.

Also, try sea calcium powder on tongue. I know that I have used coral for some people for this. -Laura
I have a half dozen clients who have gotten rid of GERD just by doing the NSP 90 day Challenge. The tougher one used gastric health or sooth & build and slippery elm -Pat Daleiden
- - - - - - - - - -
Boy! Have I ever dealt with this! My husband has this and was on all the drugs for it, and still had troubles. Since helping him I have many customers who have gotten relief from what I give him.

Food Enzymes are a must. Some do better on the Food Enzymes and others do better with Proactazyme Plus. 2 capsules EVERY TIME they eat, and they can also be taken if the person wakes up with pain from reflux. Which one I recommend has to do with whether they have too much acid (Proactazyme) and how much meat they eat (Food Enzymes).

The second thing is the chewable Stomach Comfort. This stuff is great! Tums, Mylanta, Rolaids, etc. stop the digestion, but the Stomach Comfort has herbs that promote digestion to get the stuff out of your stomach while soothing heartburn. I have had people who swear by this for nausea as well. This is mostly what gives my husband relief when reflux & pain wake him up.

A cool way to show people how those drugs slow down their digestion and transit time is to have them take 4 chlorophyll capsules with a meal, then have them look for the bright green bowel movement. Most people are shocked when it takes days for this bright green BM to happen. Then you tell them what they can take to speed it up to a healthy transit time. I have never given the 4 chlorophyll caps (don't think the liquid works for this) to anyone that wasn't fascinated and eager to try it. Best wishes. -Mandy
- - - - - - - - - -
Stomach Comfort should not be taken for an extended period of time. You may want to use Papaya Mint instead. As far as amounts are concerned, use the following formula:

6 mos - 5 years - 1/4 the adult amount 6 years - 10 years - 1/2 the adult amount 11 years - 15 years - 3/4 the adult amount 16 years and older - full adult amount.

Do take in consideration the size of the child, as I tell my clients, if you have a 200 lb 2 year old, adjust the amount.

Instead of using Nutri-Calm, you may want to try Stress-J along with Marshmallow & Pepsin along with the Papaya Mint. These have helped a lot of people with stomach problems. -Mike
- - - - - - - - - -
I have found that almost everyone I have seen with reflux is not absorbing Calcium. I have been seeing great results with Herbal CA, Fibralgia, and Comb. Pot along with lots of fresh fruits and veggies (enzymes) and probiotics. I hope this is helpful. -Robin
Sipping Aloe Vera Juice throughout the day is very soothing and good for the digestive tract. Proactazyme and Slippery Elm with the meals is helpful. Stomach Comfort during an "attack" is good short-term. Don't eat before bedtime (including herbs) and don't overeat. Discontinue caffeine, sodas, fatty foods, acid foods (tomatoes, oranges), and heavily spiced foods. Also, if there is a lot of nervous tension/anxiety, you'll want to deal with that also. I also wouldn't rule out an allergic/personal response to beef itself - your body is trying to tell you something. -Jane
Try taking one bottle of Digestive Bitters exactly like it says on the label. Acid cannot come back up if the valve at the top of the stomach is firmly latched. Dr. Segelman has said that the Digestive Bitters are an excellent tonic that helps to strengthen this valve. -Marilyn Navarro
One or more of three things could be happening to cause this problem. Poor eating habits comes to mind first. Don't eat red meat or pork, stick to chicken, turkey or fish since they will digest best. Don't eat fried foods. Don't drink liquids with your meals. To prevent being thirsty drink two or three glasses of room temperature clean water a half to an hour before your meals. Then you will have plenty of saliva and not feel thirsty while you are eating.

You could also have a Hiatal hernia that is allowing the stomach acid to come up. If that is the case the natural approach is to take Aloe Vera juice which is soothing and with your meals PDA. Since you shouldn't drink liquids with your meals, simply chew up your food very well and then place in your mouth with the chewed up food a tablet of PDA and swallow them together without any liquid. Practice with this makes perfect.

Another cause of your acid reflux could be the H-pylori bacteria which effects the digestion causing the stomach to not want to digest the food you have eaten. If you eat out at restaurants this could also be your problem. Try taking Gastro Health for this and remember that to remove this bacteria takes at least 100 days and no eating out during this time. -Michael Brown
Q: I was told I had acid reflux and was given a RX for Prilosec. My indigestion only bothers at night when I lay down. What herbs help acid reflux and how much do I raise my bed. -David Ebert
Stomach Comfort - in the meantime you need to pull down on that hiatal hernia by applying some Lavender Oil right below the sternum and pushing in with both thumb tips and pulling down a little at a time as you exhale and relax the diaphragm. -Dr Inge Wetzel
Take some Aloe Vera Juice before you go to bed and throughout the day, if you wish. It's very healing and soothing. I would also suggest taking digestive enzymes with your meals. I would not recommend that you raise your bed, it's not good for the circulation to the brain. We need that at night. Prilosec completely rids the stomach of all hydrochloric acid so you'll need the enzymes to break down your food also raw fruits and vegetables will help. They're easy to digest. Hope this helps you. -Laura
My hubbie has had good results with his acid reflux by taking Capsicum[i]. Make sure you take it with a full glass of water with meals. He took it for about a week and noticed relief right away it's amazing stuff. Linda
For an infant, [i]Liquid Chlorophyll
1/8 to 1/4 teas in each bottle. Probiotic Eleven 1/4 capsule in each bottle. You may also wish to use Slippery Elm mixed with water as a beverage.

Definitely do the abdominal massage (gently - more of an application than massage!) with the Roman Chamomile & Massage Oil. -Miss Sunshine
I have had consistent success with Magnesium (oxide). Relax's those muscles. Use up to bowel tolerance, as it works well when constipated. -Virginia
I agree with the magnesium oxide, I also think that since it is a baby and the magnesium is a tablet that you could use the magnesium complex and open the capsules start with a small amount in the mouth. I am sure that one capsule would ok and not to much. If you get Diarrhea then back off.

Also massage the illocecal value area. It is on the right side between the belly button and the hip bone. This can be in spasm or open. You only have to massage lightly for about 30 seconds to a minute should be good. At least that long. Then hold the baby and lightly burp. I have had moms do this while I am talking to them on the phone. -Virginia Dassler
==================
Editorial Note: Also look under Hiatal Hernia.
==================
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index -> Forum Archive All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: