Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index Nature's Sunshine Products NSP
For customer and distributor discussions of Nature's Sunshine Products. Not an official site of NSP.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sodium Lauryl Sulphate

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index -> Forum Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CombinedNSP
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec Thu 14, 2006 5:15 pm    Post subject: Sodium Lauryl Sulphate Reply with quote

Sodium Lauryl Sulphate

Is Sodium Lauryl Sulphate bad for me; and if so, why? I see it in a lot of "natural" products, but have heard others say it is not good. -Stormie
- - - - - - - - - -
Here are some excerpts from a brochure I have called "Rub a Dub Dub, Is Cancer in Your Tub?"

So, what is SLS?

Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) is found in harsh detergents. Also, it's used as a surfactant to break down the surface tension of water. Industrial uses include:

Concrete Floor Cleaners Engine Degreasers Car Wash Detergents

What can SLS do to YOUR organic tissue? Plenty!

SLS can be a mutagen. In sufficient amounts it is capable of changing the information in genetic material found in cells. SLS has been used in studies to induce mutations in bacteria.

and there's more...

SLS is routinely used in clinical studies to irritate skin tissue

SLS corrodes hair follicles and impairs ability to grow hair

Carcinogenic Nitrates can form when SLS interacts with other nitrogen bearing ingredients

SLS enters and maintains residual levels in the heart, liver, lungs and brain from skin contact

SLS denatures protein, impairs proper structural formation of young eye - damage permanent

SLS can damage the immune system; cause separation of skin layers and cause inflammation to the skin

(Journal of the American College of Toxicology; Vol. 2, no 7, 1983)

Pretty freaky, huh? This stuff is in everything from toothpaste to shampoo to baby care products. Most of these harmful ingredients have been grand fathered in so they didn't have to pass even the laughable tests the FDA puts them through. In addition, no tests have been done to see how combining chemicals affects our health. Sometimes I wonder how we're all still alive! Best wishes. -Mandy
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index -> Forum Archive All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: