Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index Nature's Sunshine Products NSP
For customer and distributor discussions of Nature's Sunshine Products. Not an official site of NSP.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Smoking

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index -> Forum Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CombinedNSP
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec Thu 14, 2006 5:20 pm    Post subject: Smoking Reply with quote

Smoking

Does anyone have any experience with any herbs for helping to break the habit of smoking cigarettes? Someone I know would love to stop smoking and did try the gum and patch with no luck. She asked me to help her find something to help her give up this habit for good. Thanks for any help. -Joni Solis
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
This is an herbal program that I have used to quit smoking successfully! The program was taken from a book my mother got while at NSP convention.

Carotenoid Blend 2-0-2 (morn-noon-night) Niacin 1-1-1 Lobelia 2-2-2 (capsules) Tobacco Detox homeopathic Chewable Vitamin C

The carotenoid blend helps cleanse tar from the liver. The niacin is molecularly opposite from the nicotine, therefore niacin replaces the nicotine in the body. Lobelia is a nervine that works similar to nicotine but without the addictive properties of nicotine. The tobacco detox and vit. C are there for whenever cravings hit. The most important thing, however, is will power and the desire to stop smoking. If you don't have either of these, you will never succeed at quitting. -Andrew
I believe Lobelia clings to the same receptor sites in your cells as the nicotine in tobacco and may help reduce cravings. It is an old Native American herb used in place of tobacco. Excessive use may cause vomiting. Add St John's Wort for anxiety, etc. -Betty
I am trying to help a couple stop smoking. I have read the Smokers Posts and many responded by using Lobelia/St. John's Wort stock #1015-5 which I understand NSP no longer carries. Is there a product equal to the above in capsules? Are there any other ideas besides the ones already posted? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks--Cecelia
You might want to try Lobelia and either Eight or Nutri-Calm. or you can just get Lobelia and St Johns Wort separate. Lobelia gives your body the effect of Nicotine but with out the nicotine. Then you need something to soothe the nerves and calm you down. -Patty
I have had a lot of success with clients wishing to stop smoking with the following program. Nutri-Calm 3-6 per day, the b-vitamins in this formula help to stop withdrawal symptoms and rebuild the nervous system. Lobelia 1 capsule 3 times a day, replaces the need for tobacco. And Tobacco Detox used anytime the person feels the urge to smoke. I tell them to take 10 drops under the tongue and wait a 5 minutes, in every case, the person found the craving go away. They can repeat this through out the day, so as to stretch out the time between cigarettes. Then I tell them if they do have one to only take a few puffs and put it out. This seems to satisfy them. After two weeks of doing this the B-vitamin levels are normally built back up, and they have cut back significantly, then it's time to quit cold turkey, but it's easy at this point. I follow up with a bottle of Heavy Metal Detox to clean the cells of tobacco chemicals. -Valerie G.
You can get the Lobelia and St. John's Wort separately and give like that. I think the Lobelia is the more important of the two. I have heard it called Indian Tobacco. I also really like the homeopathic Tobacco Detox (have personal experience in quitting) which comes in tablets or liquid and can be taken every 15 minutes for cravings. I preferred the tablets under my tongue because it gave me something in my mouth, it really did help with the cravings. -Mandy
I am working with a man in his mid-60s with cancer of the vocal chords. He has completed a course of radiation therapy. He is experiencing a lot of pain and is using a significant amount of prescription pain medication. He has been a smoker since his teens and has been unable to stop. His cardiologist has warned him against using of the nicotine patches.
You can read my recommendations for how to quit smoking, including use of visualization and of herbals. It's based on how I quit smoking years ago.

In fact, using herbs to give up cigarettes -- easily -- was how I first came to be interested in herbs, and is what eventually led me into natural health business.

See the article at http://www.herbshop.com/smoking.htm.
To your health, David Ross, ND
I don't have any info in Hart Book on Lobelia Essence. Will be used for client trying to quit smoking and build up respiratory system. Can it be taken internally? What is dosage? Frequency? Thanks for any guidance. -Brad
Yes, you can take it internally. I don't know if there is a specific program giving amounts, but would suggest approximately 10 drops, twice a day. If he has strong cravings, try 4 drops under tongue as needed. Remember, you also have the tobacco homeopathic as an aid.

As an ex-smoker myself, I can only say, "You don't TRY to quit, you commit to quitting". It's the only way to succeed. I was a 3 pack a day smoker and had smoked for over 30 years. I bribed myself to quit. I gave my word (to myself and God) that if I took my bribe, I would never smoke again. (and I have not). It wasn't that hard when I actually committed. Prior to that, I had "Tried" and never succeeded. -Georgiana
I have quit smoking using EFT, Aromatherapy and Herbs. I smoked 1!/2-2 packs of cigarettes for 20years. The EFT helped me find out why I started to smoke in the first place. What I found out was that I smoked so that I would not eat and get fat. My dad use to tell me I was going to be fat Like my Aunt. I also made a commitment to be smoke free. When I get a craving now I just ask myself are you hungry or thirsty and I either get some water or food if I am hungry. I used the aromatherapy and herbs for withdrawal symptoms and they helped me relax the first week. -Cathy
I do know that Lobelia makes a person breath more deeply and one of my tapes recommends it for those who want to quite smoking because when you smoke you take deep drags and the Lobelia is a substitute for that, plus it helps with the nerves and the whole respiratory system. The A-Z guide also says, Lobelia herb possesses many properties that make it valuable to the respiratory system. It has the ability to work as both a stimulant (in small doses) and as a calmative (in larger doses). One of its key constituents, lobelia, acts in a way similar to nicotine. Each capsule of NSP Lobelia herb contains 375 mg lobelia. Lobelia Essence contains 44-47 percent alcohol, glycerin and apple cider vinegar. It can be added to baths or used in external cosmetic preparations. -Jeannette Romanofsky
St. John's Wort/Lobelia is great to assist in quitting smoking. -Diana
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I know it may seem like a lot to do when a person is trying to quit smoking - but if you don't cleanse the nicotine out of the body system - they will continue to crave it Also - give them a big bottle of Vitamin C - chewable and tell them to chew on those all day long. Smoking depletes the body of Vitamin C anyway - and it's much better than chewing gum or FOOD. -Earline
I have been studying a procedure to be used for addictions including tobacco. It involves the use of kinesiology/MT and the Chinese meridians. The creator of this technique reports that it takes 36 to 48 hours to get the nicotine out of the body. The craving that remains for tobacco after that time is purely emotional. All addictions according to this man are rooted in anxiety. So to me, I'm thinking the Vitamin C AND the Lobelia/St. Johns Wort would be a winning combination. For anyone who muscle tests or is familiar with kinesiology you may be interested in reading this man's work or similar work.. Dr. Roger Callahan.... The Five Minute Phobia Cure (book or video).... Why do I Eat When I'm Not Hungry (book) Also, Dr. James Durlacher.... Freedom from Fear Forever. The technique which involves tapping on certain points along the meridians can be applied to addictions, phobias, obsessions and the like. -Lisa
I have used the tobacco detox with much success. Take Tobacco Detox (I use the pellets) under the tongue every time they want to reach for a cigarette. They also take Kudzu/ St. John's Wort (I used to use the product Stress Relief) to alleviate depression and nervousness. The key to kicking it is Chinese Liver Balance, Four capsules AM and PM. I had a woman that had smoked 2 1/2 packs a day for 40 years! She put her cigarettes down and didn't pick them back up. In one week, she stopped taking Tobacco Detox, nothing happened. In another week she stopped the Stress Relief, nothing happened. Three days later, she went to work without taking the Chinese Liver Balance and they sent her home. She worked in Customer Service and was telling off the customers! She said she wanted a cigarette so bad she almost gave in. She went home and took the Chinese Liver Balance instead. In a day, she was back to doing fine. She took Chinese Liver Balance for three months. The reason is this: Whether a person is trying to get off drugs, alcohol or cigarettes, they have to clean the residue out of their liver to be free of it. The faster you clean out the liver, the faster you get over the cravings. -Terri
My husband was a smoker for many years and got good results using Lobelia/St. Johns Wort. He didn't "crave" cigarettes at all. He said he never even wanted one. Several people he worked with also tried it and got the same results. For him, it worked better than the Tobacco Detox. -Jan
I used Tobacco Detox to successfully quit smoking about two years ago. I found it very helpful in my fight against my drug addiction to nicotine. Not only did it help me with my cravings, It gave me something to do instead of smoking. Because although it is physically addictive, it's also a very mental addiction, and no matter what a person is "taking" to quit smoking, that person will NOT quit until he or she is ready! I had a friend I gave it to and she is still smoking. First of all I don't think she used it enough, or even correctly. You can't have Tobacco Detox in one hand and a cigarette in the other. You need to flush that drug from your body, as opposed to a "patch" or gum that just gives you your nicotine from a different source, thus exchanging one addiction for another.

Tobacco Detox contains Calcium Phosphate (6x), China (6x), Indian Tobacco (10x), Tobacco (10x, 20x, 30x), St Ignatius bean (12x), and Phosphorus( 12x). Some nutritional support companion products are Chinese Liver Balance, Lobelia, Chinese Mood Elevator, Chinese Breathe EZ, and Chinese Lung Support. And if you didn't know, it's also available in bottles of 60 tablets. I strongly recommend Tobacco Detox as an alternative to those other "stop smoking" programs!! -Clifton
I too have had people successfully use the tobacco detox. I usually recommend it with Lobelia/St. John's Wort to help with the nerves and cravings. As for what is in it, I recommend you order the NSP homeopathic guide, stock #2191-1. It lists all the ingredients of every homeopathic and the symptoms they alleviate. The key to using homeopathics is matching the symptoms to the remedy. Briefly this remedy helps with cough, breathing, detoxifies the body of the tobacco and causes an aversion to tobacco. -LaVerne
Kelley, my newest Manager, is no longer SMOKING! After many years of trying to stop using the patch, she had just about given up. This time she used the patch and added Lobelia/St. John's Wort, Tobacco Detox, BP-X, and All Cell Detox She says that she has no cravings or nervousness and that it has been quite easy to quit. -Kay Lubecke
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My 16 yr. old son just recently finally quit cigarettes, marijuana, and alcohol. I'll tell you true, unless this person really desires to quit and cleanse the body completely, nothing will work.
As far as quitting and helping the withdrawal try: Homeopathic Tobacco Detox- helps with craving, St. John's Wort- mood swings, depression, Passion flower- helps with tension or STR-J (Lawrence used liquid)- also helps with muscle tension. It takes a GOOD 21-28 days for the detox from the marijuana; longer for the tobacco [although the intense part of detox is done by then)

Now the real work starts: CLEANSE-CLEANSE CLEANSE! Get that stuff out! We used Nature's Cleanse, followed by Chinese Parasite Cleanse, followed in a few weeks by the Tao He Cleanse. By then he had had his fill of packets of herbs. He also took Fenugreek And Thyme for respiratory, BP-C to cleanse blood, Lots of Vitamin C (3000 a day), Now, he takes Super Supplemental (4 a day), Vitamin C (1000 TR- 2 a day), LBS II- (2 a day), Food Enzymes at each meal (When he remembers).

Once again I'll stress that your client has to really want to stop. The big difference came for Lawrence when he made a deep commitment to God to keep his body clean. He still thinks about the cigarettes, marijuana, alcohol each day, but it's getting less and less. The longer he stays clean the less he thinks about it. He also has a strong safety net with his friends at church who are keeping him accountable on a daily basis. So having friends that can support you in that way is almost as important as what you put into your body to heal it. -Debi Minter
You are absolutely right. I worked with alcoholics and drug addicts for many years and unless THEY really want to quit nothing will work. You can give them every pill, herb, drug, therapy and they will never stop until they are ready. -Nedra Denison
This person is going to need a lot of herbs and minerals to fight this addiction. I would start with KAVA for stress, Chinese Mood Elevator for anger, depression. This can give him more control, Kudzu/St Johns Wort if needed, Mineral Maintenance, Calcium Magnesium, Pantothenic Acid for the glands.. And he could start juicing with lots of veggies that will surely help. But I'm sure he will have set backs depending on how bad he wants to quit. A bottle of Distress Remedy or Tobacco Detox at hand will help. I'm sure others out there can add to this. -Debbie Shook
HOW TO STOP SMOKING & PUT OUT THE FIRE OF LUNG CANCER!!!

I have seen several human lungs which came from smokers. These lungs were a black sticky mass unlike a light pink healthy lung tissue. There is no doubt in my mind smoking is harmful to your life. Here are some tips on how to quit naturally that I have picked up over twenty-five years.
Physically, you may be using nicotine like some use coffee or sweets as a stimulant. Nicotine is a psychoactive addictive drug which causes marked alterations in body chemistry. Nicotine inhaled directly or second-hand is absorbed through the lungs, goes directly into the blood, proceeds directly to the brain and produces a sense of euphoria for the regular smoker. The regular smoker tries to reproduce the euphoria all day long. Nicotine directly affects blood pressure, heart rate, skin temperature, hormone production, muscle tension, and sensitivity to pain. Nicotine also affects your mood. It can give you greater concentration and also makes you more tense.
The coal tar in a cigarette is the killer. It is a source of free radical damage in your body which is the cause of joint pain as in arthritis and more serious degenerative diseases such as cancer.
Little is said about the smoke being in your eyes or affecting your facial skin over a long period. I relate smoking to holding your head over a pile of burning leaves for a similar period. How can a smoker complain about their eyesight getting worse, unless they quit. Long term smokers are easy to pick out in a crowd with their dry facial wrinkles.

It's not easy to convince your body that it needs to smoke. Your body rejects your first attempts. Peer pressure or the people idols in your world may persist and you are reinforced by constant magazine, billboard and TV advertising. Our youth seem so set on destroying their youth with smoking, junk food, and hard rock music. Could we say their youth is going up in smoke?
Let us become aware of why you smoke! Go through this test and circle your true answers.

1. I smoke because I light up automatically and don't know I'm doing it? Yes - No
2. I smoke because it's relaxing? Yes - No
3. I smoke because I like handling cigarettes, matches and lighters? Yes - No
4. I smoke to help deal with anger? Yes - No
5. I smoke to keep from slowing down? Yes - No
6. I smoke because it's unbearable not to? Yes - No
7. I smoke because I enjoy watching the smoke as I exhale it? Yes - No
8. I smoke to take my mind off my troubles? Yes - No
9. I smoke because I really enjoy it? Yes - No
10. I smoke because I feel uncomfortable without a cigarette in my hand? Yes - No
11. I smoke to give myself a lift? Yes - No
12. I smoke without planning to-it's just part of my routine? Yes - No

Look at your true yes answers:
A. 1 and 12, you smoke from habit.
B. 2 and 9, you seek relaxation.
C. 3 and 7, you need pleasure of handling things.
D. 4 and 8, you need tension reducing.
E. 5 and 11, you need stimulation. F. 6 and 10, you have a physiological addiction.

A person may smoke for several of the above reasons. If you can pinpoint a certain reason, then it is possible to substitute something positive to replace the smoking. So let us find a substitute and help our body eliminate the nicotine, coal tar build up, relax and stay thin naturally.

Substitutes might be:
A. Habit: become aware, substitute a better habit, like an exercise or knitting.
B. Relaxation: use other ways, deep breathing, a new hobby, social activity, exercise.
C. Handling: try doodling, embroidery, or knitting.
D. Tension: work off tension in other ways, exercise is most viable.
E. Stimulation: find health stimulation such as Gotu Kola or exercise.
F. Addiction: work down nicotine levels with low tar cigarettes, or go cold turkey.

Here are herbs which will help and their historical use:
LOBELIA/ST JOHN'S WORT. Lung and nerve support. This combination is well known to reduce or stop desire for smoking. Suggested use, 3,3X.
STRESS RELIEF - suggested use: 3 in the morning and afternoon, 6 at night. Will relax without drugging.
LICORICE -- suggested use: 3 two times per day. Builds the adrenal glands and helps balance blood sugar.
GGC -- suggested use: 2 or 3 in the morning, 2 or 3 at noon. Helps keep your mental powers going.
BP-X –– suggested use: 3 in the morning, 6 at night. (blood cleansing) Sets stage for you to balance weight, cleanse the blood and keep bowels moving.
MINERAL MAINTENANCE -- suggested use: 5 two times per day. All minerals are to keep system functioning well and calm, keeps weight normal.
TOBACCO DETOX -- A Homeopathic energy formula to help reduce the desire for nicotine and smooth out your habit change.
Nutritionally, you should start the above program before you try to quit. The herbs will nullify your body's tendency to gain weight. The herbs will also take away your physical desire for nicotine. Now you are ready for the Big Day.

THE BIG DAY HAS ARRIVED. YOU ARE QUITTING! Here are some ideas:
A. Pick a weekend free of stress, in-laws, baseball games etc., where you might have otherwise enjoyed smoking.
B. Throw out all cigarettes, matches, lighters and ashtrays.
C. Visit your dentist and have tobacco stains (and tar) removed from teeth. D. Plan to be busy on the Big Day. Plan an activity in which you would not have smoked.
E. Go to places where no smoking is allowed, such as museums, theaters, etc.
F. Take public transportation. Be sure to clean out your car ashtrays and any cigarettes stored in your car.
G. Exercise, especially for the next few days. Ride a bike, play tennis, swim or jog.
H. Avoid anyone who smokes. Hopefully, this will not be your spouse. Plan the Big Day so you have maximum time away from smoke at work.
I. Expect withdrawal symptoms. To minimize your withdrawal symptoms, begin your herbal program two weeks prior to the BIG DAY. If you are prone to the munchies, have lots of carrots and celery ready in the refrigerator. Otherwise, counteract any potential problems.
J. Brush your teeth three to six times per day, using a tasty mouth wash afterward. Breathe deeply-clean fresh air, we hope.

After the Big Day, count your blessings. It is very important to write down your accomplishments, big or little. Put a lined paper on the refrigerator and make hourly notes. Calculate the monies you are not burning up. Treat yourself to a new shirt or skirt in two, three or seven days.

Welcome back to the world of smell, taste, good breathing and better eyesight. You will smell better to the rest of us. You have joined the happiest group of quitters and have done the greatest thing you could possibly have done for your health. You have avoided lung deterioration, perhaps even lung cancer or emphysema. Learn more on how you can better maintain the health of your lungs with specific herbs.

For more information on our books, videos and Certified Herbalist Course, please contact us at http://www.drjenks.com/ -Jim Jenks
We have had very effective results with clients on the following program: Lobelia/St. John's Wort, Stress-J, Herbal CA, Super Supplemental w/o Iron This is a starter program to quit smoking. Later I would add in Enviro-Detox and Dandelion. Definitely add in a Calcium/Magnesium supplement, Trace Minerals and Stress-J. -Glenda Hadley
I quit smoking many years ago . I had smoked 3 packs a day, so it was quite traumatic. All the supplements we have can HELP, but the individual has to make a commitment to quit. They have to make the commitment within themselves in order to quit. I bribed myself with a promise to God that if I got my bribe, I would never smoke again. -Georgiana Duncan
I would suggest Ayurvedic Bronchial Formula to support the weakened lungs, Fenugreek to help clear the mucous and Lobelia Essence for times of shortness of breath. And make sure she's drinking lots of water, as well as making sure her bowels are open. -Peggy Day
As far as cardiac drugs are concerned, there is the possibility of an enhanced effect of digoxin (Lanoxin) from the St. John's Wort. Lobelia can stimulate the release of epinephrine and norepinephrine, which produce an increased inotropic (force of contractions) and chronotropic (rate of contractions) effect on the myocardium (heart tissue). This can result in increased heart rate and increase systolic and diastolic blood pressures. So, I would be very cautious with this. I would supplement with large doses of CoQ10 (300mg daily). You may have read Jean Carper's book, Miracle Cures, which reports results of CoQ10 use from various sources. -Bill Hays
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Add Envio Detox And/or Smokers Detox to Rid the body of the Nicotine - Which Keeps on Calling for more Smokes to Reinforce Itself in the Body. Most important of All, You Have Got to Have a mind Set to Stop, Stop, Stop Smoking. -Jack Welch
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
THE BODY'S HEALING PROCESS FOR EX-SMOKERS
Within 20 minutes of your last cigarette, your body will begin healing itself from the effects of smoking! Some of the healing processes that your body may use can be mistaken for illness, such as coughing with lots of phlegm, a sore throat, diarrhea, fatigue, sweating, or irritability.
Keep in mind that:
*(Within 20 minutes your heart rate, blood pressure, and body temperature drops to normal.
*(Within 8 hours the carbon monoxide level drops to normal.
*(Within 24 hours, the chances of a heart attack are already decreasing.
*(Within 48 hours your smell and taste are enhanced.
*(Within 2 weeks your circulation improves and your lung function increases. (During the first year, the cilia re-grow in the lungs and reduce
problems with upper respiratory infections.
*At 5 years the lung cancer death rate drops.
*At 10 years the lung cancer death rate for the average smoker drops to almost the same rate as for non-smokers. -Georgiana
Lobelia/St. John's Wort and AD-C. -Lisa Ayala
Essential Oils & Smoking
In Carl Robinson's book a formula for a deodorizer is 4 parts Grapefruit, 4 parts Lemon and 1 part Rosemary. I don't know if it will work with smoke odor though. -Chottsie
The "Clean Air" recipe from Carl Robinson's booklet is: Bergamot 3 parts, Lavender 6 parts, Pine 1 part, Tea Tree 2 parts, Eucalyptus 70% to 80% of the blend This is used in the diffuser. -Margaret Johnson
The "parts" formula is standard. It allows you to make a batch of the formula in drops, drams, ounces, quarter cups, gallons, whatever. If you have Bergamot 3 drops, Lavender 6 drops, Pine 1 drop, Tea Tree 2 drops. That total 12 drops.

Now to get Eucalyptus to be 70% to 80% of the blend, we move on.
If we want 80% of the blend Eucalyptus oil, then the rest of the blend of 12 drops (above) must be 20% of the blend. 100% minus 80% eucalyptus equals 20%. So, we would divide 12 drops by .2 (20%) and get 60. The total blend will have 60 drops. 60 drops minus 12 drops (above) equal 48 drops of eucalyptus. This way Eucalyptus is 80% of the blend.
If you wanted a 70% eucalyptus blend, you would recognize that the 12 drops were 30% of the blend and divide 12 drops by .3 (30%) and get 40 total drops in the blend. 40 minus 12 equals 28 drops of eucalyptus...or drams, or gallons, whatever. .
The point is that the formula is mostly eucalyptus. By using a parts and percentage formula, it allows you to add the other ingredients in proper proportion for a balanced formula. -Barbara Douglass
For help with smoking, the best oil recommended is Bergamot. Just diffusing will help with the addiction of nicotine. Also, Bergamot will help with most addictions. You can also apply to the bottoms of feet on a daily basis by adding 3-4 drops to your massage oil and massage both feet. -Barbara Flot
Bergamot in a diffuser will help break the habit. -J Candy Arnold
Q: My husband smokes approximately 2 1/2 to 3 packs of cigarettes per day. I know he would need Vitamin C but is there anything else he should take? He's not a vitamin taker; he tried it, felt great for a couple of weeks then started to feel tired again, so he quit taking them - against my advise. He also has spells of paralysis on the left side of his body that only lasts a couple of minutes. He's had every kind of test done but everything checks out normal. Any information you could supply me would be wonderful. Thanks, Kathy
Does your husband express interest in trying to quit smoking with the aid of herbs/vitamins?
The protocol is:

Stress Relief (1 - 3X); to soothe nerves.
LH (2 - 3X); to help clean the lungs of nicotine residue
BP Concentrate (1 - 3X); to clean the blood of nicotine residue
Chamomile (3 - 3X); to help with drug withdrawal
All Cell Detox (2 - 3X); to clear mucous from system
Licorice Root concentrated (2 - 2X); to keep blood sugar levels up, help with cigarette craving and help stabilize moods
Vitamin C (chewable) - to replace habit and to replace the Vit. C that smoking destroys
Catnip-Fennel tincture (1-3 drops) each time cigarette is craved

Oxygen to the brain is vital. COQ10, Vitamin E are useful. Envir-Detox will help cleanse the body (disadvantage though is of course if he continues to smoke - that would be like pouring water in something with a leak). Also there is tobacco detox. Good luck. -Jane
It sounds like your husband is experiencing TIAs (Transient Ischemic Attacks), also known as "mini strokes." These are usually not picked up by medical tests. In his case I am sure they are caused by smoking. They are also a warning of worse things to come, such as a full-blown stroke. It is just a matter of time. Any nutritional supplements that you give him will be like putting a band-aid on a compound fracture. Even worse, they could give him a false sense of security, allowing him to continue his addiction with a clear conscious, which is not something that you want. He must come to terms with his addiction and do something about that. He must quit smoking--not taper off--but quit cold turkey. You have been given the wonderful gift of a warning sign. Are you going to do anything about it? As a recovering addict (alcoholic), despite all my many attempts, I could not quit until I hit bottom. For me this was when my wife decided to leave me. How much do you love your husband?
-Anon
The left side of the body is the potassium side which is often the mineral to support the heart. Also potassium/sodium are crucial to keep HCI levels balanced in the stomach so that digestion occurs. When the body becomes too acidic or lack of digestion slows down putting pressure on the heart. A smoker is often at more risk than the normal and if that smoker has a family history of heart concerns then the risk is amplified. My suggestion from other clients is to muscle test for Alfalfa or Comb. Potassium and support the heart with Hawthorn. -CS
Q: I need information on the correct way to detox someone who has been smoking. They want to quit and flush their system of the toxins. -Jen
Doing Foot Spas work wonders. -Richard/Chris Waterbury
Work on cleansing the liver, and the Tobacco Detox formula also works great! -Sharon Grimes
What I have used with my clients is All Cell Detox and Chamomile. Had several use it successfully. -Diane L. Toombs
Enviro-Detox helps with the chemical residue in the system. AL-J helps with rebuilding the lung tissue. -Lisa A.
This list is great I would also add in lobelia to help clear mucus and residue from the body as well

Enviro-Detox helps with the chemical residue in the system. AL-J helps with rebuilding the lung tissue. -Lisa A.
Q: Does anyone have or know where to find good articles and info on Smoking Cessation with herbs, supplements etc.? I have someone asking me about this and I don't have anything but the products to use. He is looking to open a clinic and wants info on this and info on NSP products. Thanks in advance for your help. -Paige
Some have had success with the Tobacco Detox. SUMA is good to add as an adaptogen, helps body cope. Nutri-Calm has been helpful. I've been told that the body is craving niacin instead of nicotine so would certainly use B-Complex with extra niacin. Personally, I believe that if someone really wants to quit any of these would work. But if you know you need to quit but just can't get hold of it emotionally, nothing works. I tried many things but never achieved success until I started the Welbutrin 300 mg. Hope this helps some. -Margaret J.
Also try Mullein, Lobelia may be helpful too. I would also suggest acupuncture, this worked well for my friends mom who smoked for more than 30 years. My mom went cold turkey when I refused to pick up a carton for her and told her I would not participate in her early death. -hoteptoday
I tried many things but never achieved success until I started the Welbutrin 300 mg. I am relieved that you had a positive experience with Welbutrin. However, there are numerous studies showing that this particular drug can cause severe symptoms on withdrawal. I personally know of several cases where the withdrawal symptoms included highly psychotic (including suicidal ideation) behaviors. Smoking cessation is a difficult and complex process, but does not have to have such drastic consequences for those trying to quit. :O) Just my thoughts. -Copper Thomas
Tobacco Detox, Lobelia Capsules and St Johns Wort. -LeRae McBroom
We have had much success with Tobacco Detox tablets???? Products are flying out the door!!! In Alaska they just added another $1.00 tax per pack of cigarettes so lots of people are trying to quit. They are $4.25/pack here. Most of our customers have quit by the time they use the 14th tablet! And are delighted. They don't like the drops because of the alcohol.(I know......) Thanks. -Dori Cranmore
The main ingredient is the herb; Lobelia. Lobelia mimics the effects and stimulation of nicotine and is non-addictive. In smoking cessation, Lobelia's use as a replacement for nicotine helps the smoker by reducing withdrawal symptoms and the desire to smoke; while you step down the amount of nicotine in your bloodstream. -Jeff
Lobelia can work well, also Mullein, Marshmallow to help the bronchial passages clear toxins add B Complex calcium/magnesium and increase vitamin C. I may have mentioned acupuncture in another post. -hoteptoday
Q: Which is better for a person that wants to stop smoking Tobacco Detox, or Lobelia. -Jennise
Quite a few friends have successfully quit with Lobelia, St John's Wort, and the Tobacco Detox w/ Distress Remedy--if more is needed; add Nutri-Calm. -Victoria
I have had two bad experiences with Lobelia and smokers. One guy took one and ended up in the emergency room. I think it was a cleansing reaction. I told him to stop taking it. He did for a while. Then he took it again and got sick again.
Try AL-J instead. But go in small amounts to avoid a cleansing reaction. -Lisa
Lisa, Were these heavy smokers? Had they tried quitting before? Tobacco is a nice sedative as is Lobelia. I wonder if it was a 'cleansing' reaction or a case of too much CNS depressant? You know how some folks feel 'if some is good, more is better'? I would be interested in any other thoughts or observations on these cases? -Pat Block
The first one I mentioned was definitely a heavy smoker for a long time. I am not sure about previously quitting. I do believe it was a cleansing reaction, but if one Lobelia set him off like that, I would definitely not consider doing more. -Lisa
Here's what we've used and why:

Tobacco Detox, pills or liquid, as bottle describes or 4x daily.
(homeopathics seem to work well for quick symptom relief)

Lobelia - 1
Chamomile - 3
Mullein - 3
Every 2-3 hours for the first week then 3x daily for as long as needed.

Lobelia is a poison antidote, relaxes the nerves, mimics nicotine and also begins to cleanse the lungs. Sometimes 'withdrawal' worsens as the body begins to recover, for example with caffiene the headache people get is the blood vessels relaxing and they are getting MORE oxygen to their brain...which is good...but it gives them a headache so they drink some caffiene and the blood vessels tighten up again and "fix" it. Anyways, if you can speed this process up it reduces the yucky symptoms. This is where the lobelia/chamomile/mullein come in. Chamomile is a good calcium source and calming, good for addictions. Mullein is slightly narcotic in its effect on the nervous system, but it also cleans the lungs. In fact the lobelia/mullein combination can be used indefinitely to clean tar from the lungs. Hope this helps. -Desiree Sunshine
Essential Oils That May Help Some Quit Smoking

For those who are trying to quit smoking this may help:

8d. Cedar
4d. Lavender
5d. Lemon
5d. Orange
6d. Tea Tree

Mix into 16oz of water or Nature's Fresh & use as an air spray -Nora Weigl
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index -> Forum Archive All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: