Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index Nature's Sunshine Products NSP
For customer and distributor discussions of Nature's Sunshine Products. Not an official site of NSP.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sarcoidosis

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index -> Forum Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CombinedNSP
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec Thu 14, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: Sarcoidosis Reply with quote

SARCOIDOSIS
I Have a male client with sarcodosis, an inflammatory lung disease- lung capacity at 1.68 liters normal is 4.3 liters. He is taking prednisone would like to try something else- I was thinking Cordyceps, flax seed oil and protease plus- any suggestions any one else work with this? -Nora
- - - - - - - - - -
I have sarcoidosis too - auto immune disorder. I was exposed to 2nd hand smoke. I almost died and was put on prednisone IV 2 weeks in hospital. Had it primarily in lungs. Had 20 side effects to medicine but it saved my life. I started using yucca and weaned down slowly off medicine. I took herbal CA for weak ligaments for help when my knee came out of the socket from side effects of med. I have been in remission over 10 yrs and don't take anything for it now. but I would suggest he take yucca and wean off slowly and always monitor it. Don't tell him to get off the medicine - that's a decision he has to make. - Carol
- - - - - - - - - -
I've seen recommendations from the email forum for Horsetail, EW and Mullein for Sarcoidosis. -Georgiana
- - - - - - - - - -
I am happy to say that male client with Sarcoidosis is doing alot better- his lung capacity has even improved to 2.29- he took the protocol mentioned- except adding HI EPA Omega 3 . -Nora
- - - - - - - - - -
Yes, I've had lots of experience with sarcoidosis. I'm very please to say that one of my clients has had a clean bill of health from her doctor. We used a combination of herbs for the lungs and essential oils. She was very faithful to the program, and I was happy to hear of her success. We used lots of Black Walnut for the fungus that is in the lungs and of course a change of diet.

I'm currently working with a lady that has had a real severe time with her sarcoidosis. Again, she is able to work everyday without having breathing problems. All of her co-workers can't believe the change in just 3 weeks. She has taken a series of 4 oil treatments from me and she is drinking the Morinda Juice.

The oils I use are: Eucalyptus, Rosemary, Hyssop, Pine, Raven, Ravensara, Breath Free, & Guardian. I use about 3 to 4 drops of each oil in a massage oil base and apply to the upper back (lung area) and on the feet on the lung area. I will top it off with Frankincense and something for relaxing. After each session, she leaves breathing like a champ and it usually will last the whole week. -Dr Barbara Flot
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
One of my downline's aunt has sarcoidosis, affecting her lungs. We researched until we found that it hinders O2 from being carried from lungs to tissues effectively. We could not find any natural help but in "prescription for Nutritional Healing" by James F. Balch, we noticed the similarities between sarcoidosis and TB. I do know that you should NOT give the sarcoidosis client immune stimulants as you would one with TB as sarcoidosis is considered an auto-immune disease. Balch says 75mg. CoQ10 helps carry O2 to tissues, Vit A vital for healing of lung tissue, Vit B aids in O2 utilization, and Vit E protects lung tissues and provides O2 to the cells. Maybe someone else can come up with something to get to the root of it instead of just "treating" the symptoms. -Bonnie Toney
I have a new client with Sarcoidosis that within one week has seen results from her new herbal program. She is taking LB-X, Black Walnut, Liquid Morinda, Skeletal Strength, Botanical Benefits HSN, Milk Thistle and Hydrangea. I also suggested Breathe Free but since she has high blood pressure she was afraid to use it. She is doing so well she signed up and is telling others how well she is doing. - Diane Toombs
Sarcoidosis Article
Sarcoidosis is not a disease of immune suppressed unhealthy people or infants. But active, aggressive go getters. This multi system inflammatory disease hits active, healthy adults between the ages of 20 and 50 (exceptions as young as 10 and as old as 80). When triggered by an unknown agent, the immune system begins a war on itself, attacking its own body organs. This includes all organs including lungs, heart, skin, eyes, brain, kidneys, lymph nodes, spleen, bones and joints. It can also affect the gastrointestinal and reproductive systems (male and female). Chronic exhaustion is also very common. Sarcoidosis is chronic for about fifty percent of patients.

Symptoms of Sarcoidosis: No two patients are alike with this!
Arthritis & Sarcoidosis -- Arthritis of Sarcoidosis symptoms include swelling, warmth and tenderness affecting several joints at once. Redness of the joint is not common, but fever may be. Most common joints affects are wrists, hands, ankles and knees. Inflamed tendons are also seen in some cases. Arthritis or sarcoidosis can occur early in the disease when it can be linked with a skin lesion 'erythema nodosum', an inflammatory reaction.

Skin, Muscles, Joints & Bones: The following excerpt is from "Sarcoidosis and the White Whale, The Centurion Enigma (1998" by Norman T. Soskel, MD, FACP, reprinted by permission:

Skin: The skin is involved in about 10-35% of all cases of sarcoidosis. Dr. Schaumann described a man with multiple cutaneous manifestations. For the most part cutaneous disease can be subdivided into acute and chronic forms. Acute skin disease with erythema nodosum predicts a favorable outcome in contrast to other forms of skin disease, which usually accompany a more chronic indolent course. Frequently arthralgias occur with acute skin changes. Usually acute skin changes do not lead to chronic cutaneous disease and arthralgias rarely lead to destructive arthritis. Erythema nodosum is an acute febrile illness characterized by a painful nodular, erythematous rash on the shins and forearms and by joint pains and malaise". He noted the seasonal variation of its occurrence, the epidemic occurrences, and the fact that it occurs more frequently in young children and young adults than in older individuals. Furthermore he stressed the increased incidence among Nordic races. Other diseases in which erythema nodosum occurs includes streptococcal pharyngitis, pulmonary tuberculosis, histoplasmosis, blastomycosis, coccidioidomycosis, lepromatous leprosy, lymphogranuloma venerum, systemic lupus erythematous, ulcerative colitis, Behcet’s disease.

Dr. Kerley, 1942 also noticed the enlarged pulmonary hilar lymph nodes and pulmonary infiltration, which often accompanied erythema nodosum and that this was identical to the findings in Boeck cases of sarcoidosis. In a separate publication he describes 37 cases and concludes that young people with erythema nodosum and visceral manifestations have sarcoidosis.

Chronic skin changes include plaques, nodules, papules, sometimes viteligo, and a curious skin manifestation called Lupus Pernio, a term coined by Dr. Besnier. The latter consists of purplish (violaceous) discoloration and swelling frequently about the nose and skin around the nose. It can also occur on the ears and fingers. Lupus pernio may be associated with destructive bony changes and arthritis. Often it produces embarrassing disfigurement of the face that may be difficult to treat. Dr. Tennesen in 1892 presented the histologic manifestations of lupus pernio and as Dr. James quotes him a predominance of epithelioid cells and a variety of giant cells were present in these lesions. Dr. James classifies the lesions as erythema nodosum, lupus pernio, persistent plaques, maculo papular eruption and scars. Many patients with lupus pernio have swollen digits with bone cysts if radiographed. There are also local sarcoid tissue reactions in which there are no systemic manifestations, thus distinguishing these from true sarcoidosis (by definition, a systemic disease).

Muscles: Sarcoidosis is common in skeletal muscle. It is more likely to occur than in peripheral nerves. Proximal myopathy with muscle weakness, tenderness and pain may be present. Sarcoidosis is common in skeletal muscle. It is more likely to occur than in peripheral nerves. Proximal myopathy with muscle weakness, tenderness and pain may be present.

Joints: Dr. Burman first described sarcoid arthritis arthroscopically. Dr. Martenstein was the first to describe tenosynovitis in association with lupus pernio. Dr. Sokoloff described the histology of joint involvement. Joints are often affected in the acute syndromes. Dr. Kaplan described three settings. When migratory arthritis is associated with erythema nodosum and hilar nodes the prognosis is good. However, if there are single or recurrent episodes of monoarticular or polyarticular arthritis with or without migratory components or persistent arthritis, complete clearing is unlikely.

However, frank arthritis, i.e. the latter two forms, is not common. There are unusual some forms that are extremely destructive. Dr. Caplan described a syndrome consisting of hilar adenopathy associated with periarticular inflammation with granulomas consistent with sarcoidosis. Joint destruction may occur as described below in association with lupus pernio. There is also a peculiar syndrome of sarcoidosis, psoriasis and gout but there is controversy as to its actual existence. It is of note that the first description by Hutchinson was initially believed to be a case of gout and the patient actually did die with renal failure. It is also of interest that most bone disease does not encroach upon the joints.

Bones: Dr. Kreibich probably was the first to describe the cystic bony changes that occur in the hand with lupus pernio. Dr. Schaumann actually described bone involvement in 1926. Bone involvement occurs with chronic skin disease such as plaques, nodules, and lupus pernio. Often there is a peculiar cystic or trabecular appearance to the phalangeal bones so characteristic for sarcoidosis that the diagnosis can occasionally be made by an astute radiologist. Often the bone involvement will spare the intervening joint. Multiple unusual sites have been reported in isolated cases such as skull, vertebral, and bone marrow. Several excellent reviews are available.

Bone Marrow is commonly involved but less often recognized. Drug hyper sensitivity reactions may be confused with this lesion but show less well formed granulomas....

Dr. Soskel is Clinical Associate Professor of Medicine, Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine at the University of Tennessee. He also has a Private Practice in Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine at #501 6005 Park Avenue, Memphis, TN 38119.
-Sammye Lamb
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index -> Forum Archive All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: