Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index Nature's Sunshine Products NSP
For customer and distributor discussions of Nature's Sunshine Products. Not an official site of NSP.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rotavirus - Children

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index -> Forum Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CombinedNSP
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec Thu 14, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: Rotavirus - Children Reply with quote

Rotavirus - Children

Rotavirus infections are very common, especially in children under two years old, with watery diarrhea being the most common symptom. Other symptoms can include vomiting and fever, and the diarrhea may be severe, leading to dehydration.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Hi, all. 20-month-old boy has rotavirus. Has been vomiting and had diarrhea on and off for 4 days now. The doctor did prescribe lactobacillus, good bacteria. The child had an allergic reaction to Phenergen, given to stop the diarrhea, and although the paramedics assured her he was not, she was afraid that he was going to die. As a mom, I can understand her fear. Have you all had to deal with this virus? Is VS-C called for? What assurance/assistance can I offer her? -Loretta
My daughter had this over a year ago but hers never got really bad, just a few stools a day for a week. We put her on Acidophilus at the advice of her pediatrician. He said this will shorten the duration and also prevent the virus which it did and still does. We were advised not to give anything to stop the diarrhea but instead to control it with diet. Viruses grow from sugars, dairy, meat, and white flours so these things should be avoided. Also avoid things that would cause gas. He definitely should be getting the Bifidophilus. I always give my kids the Herbasaurs but I did see here mentioned that you can insert the capsules right into the rectum. Things like Pau D'Arco, Garlic, and grapefruit seed extract helps to kill viruses. I don''t know if we carry the grapefruit seed extract but we have the others. Maybe a tea can be made for him out of Pau D'Arco (we have the bulk which you use for tea) with a little peppermint oil to flavor and soothe his stomach. He should have things to boost his immune system too so he can fight this virus off and recover. -Chottsie
Viral Recovery Homeopathic in addition to other suggestions. -Kay
Are Bacteria Lingering in Your Washer?
Far from being clean machines, washing machines can harbor bacteria and viruses. Researchers swabbed 50 washing machines in Tucson and another 50 in Tampa Bay, Florida, and found that 44% of them contained fecal coliform bacteria. They also tested to see if assorted pathogens 末 bacteria and viruses such as adenovirus, rotavirus and hepatitis A 末 survive conventional washing methods. Twelve percent of adenovirus and hepatitis A virus survived, while 23% of rotavirus survived machine-washing with detergent alone. However, researchers did find that washing with bleach killed nearly all of the pathogens. In order to prevent pathogens from being passed from hand to mouth, or onto food during meal preparation, individuals should always wash their hands after handling wet laundry. When washing at home, make undergarments the last bleach load, which will leave your machine sanitized. If you''re going to the laundromat, make sure your bleach load is your first load 末 you never know what someone washed ahead of you. Reuters -Georgiana Duncan
Here is a blend you can add to a spray bottle of water. Lavender 2 drops, Thyme 4 drops, Eucalyptus 1 drop, Oregano l drop. If making up a larger solution for a laundry load for example the ratio would be - Lavender 10 drops, Thyme 20 drops, Eucalyptus 5 drops, Oregano 5 drops. -Maya Telford
I've used a few cups of hot water and white vinegar in a cycle (without clothes) to rinse sludge from the machine, and then run a cycle of hot water with Tea Tree Oil or Oregano Oil to kill germs. There is a non-chlorine bleach called sodium percarbonate that I believe has some germ killing properties as well. -Mashubi Rochell
My friend has a grandchild who has a rotavirus that apparently is quite dangerous because the child gets badly dehydrated very quickly. I suggested Olive Leaf in very small doses (1/2 or 1/4 of a capsule mixed in food) to chase it away. Do you have any other ideas? Thank you for your help. -Kathy MacLaren
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My grandchildren were exposed to it . . . .I had Melissa diffuse "Guardian" and rub Oregano Oil into the bottoms of their feet. If the child already has it, I would give enemas -- no ifs, ands or buts about it. One with just Chlorophyll to clean the child out and then a retention enema with Garlic and Tea Tree Oils in it. Give it very slowly, holding the little butt cheeks closed around it, you want them to retain it. This will kill the virus and hydrate the child. You can give the Chlorophyll enemas as often as you want to hydrate and build their blood. -Georgiana Duncan
You might want to add Colloidal Silver to that at 1/.2 tsp 3X daily for say a 10 month old. My granddaughter had this at that age. Something for electrolytes. Gatorade?? Now?? Plenty of liquids. -Gale
I would also use the PLS II internally as well. You can make an infusion out of it to get it in a child. This will help with electrolyte loss. It will be necessary to add the minerals back in as well so try the Mineral Chi Tonic. You are right on track with the Olive Leaf. You also may want to try making it into an infusion and doing it in an enema with some Pau D'Arco.
Pedialyte Alternative
-Kimberly Balas
What is a good substitute for pedialyte? 9 month old has diarrhea and vomiting. -John
From Awake! magazine, Sept. 22, 1985, page 24: "Do Not stop feeding. Fluids should be given. Keep giving breast milk to nursing babies. Meals should be given as soon as the child can eat. Small but frequent meals, however, are best. Easily digested, energy-rich foods such as cooked cereals and bananas are good. Give oral rehydration drink from the outset. This replaces fluid loss and prevents dehydration. Where possible use prepackaged oral rehydration salts. If these are not available, prepare the following solution (Accuracy in mixing is important!):
Table Salt: One level teaspoonful. Sugar: Eight level teaspoonfuls Water: One liter (5 cupfuls at 200 ml each) How much to give: Amount given should approximate fluid loss. Roughly, one cupful of rehydration drink should be given for each loose stool passed, half that for small children. (Babies can be spoon-fed the solution.) Let the child drink as much as he likes!" The accompanying information says that the salt and sugar are needed at the same time, not to substitute honey or corn syrup. Salt is needed in the blood and the sugar carries it through the intestinal wall to the blood stream. We have had success with this since it was first published well over 20 years ago. The above quote is from a reprint. -Marilyn Navarro
Maybe there could be a safe alternative to the table salt and sugar? These refined products aren't healthy. Sugar interferes with the immune system and table salt can deplete the sodium stores. You can actually feed them uncooked apple which contains pectin for the diarrhea. Lots of Bifidophilus to restore friendly bacteria. This can actually help prevent these types of ailment. Aloe Vera Juice and Slippery Elm sooth the digestive system. Catnip & Fennel relieves the tummy aches and is beneficial if fever if present. Plenty of fluids that do not contain sugar or artificial colorings and flavorings. -Chottsie
I wish there were a substitute for the salt and sugar, however in cases of severe diarrhea there is not. With little children you cannot substitute honey 末 it can contain salmonella and they are not up to that. Do not forget that salt is a natural substance just because it is mined or dehydrated from sea water and did not growing as a plant does not make pure salt artificial. What is bad is iodized, free flowing salt that has other ingredients added. You could easily substitute sea salt, but if the child is really ill it will vomit sea salt back up. Also salt, as is true even of pure water, taken in a quantity that is not healthful will kill. I have rarely seen in the United States what I call severe diarrhea where the parents have done what you have suggested. My preferred remedy is black tea by the teaspoonful once every fifteen minutes (the tannic acid slows peristalsis) and as soon as it is tolerated increase to 1/4 cup gradually. When that stays down, then the grated apple, left until it turns brown, for the pectin because the pectin soothes the irritated stomach and bowel. [Herbal Trace Minerals has pectin] Also good are soft-boiled rice, thoroughly mashed bananas, carrots well cooked until no cooking water is left. However, the question was a substitute for Pedialyte (which has the worst crime of all 末 artificial flavorings and colors 末 yuck). --Marilyn Navarro
There is Recovery, which we use for electrolyte balance? Personally I use this product a lot though not many of my Members do. I need to do more encouragement as this is a very handy product. For Roto Virus, Always give probiotics like Bifidophilus. This both treats and prevents this ailment. Reason many kids get this is due to the destruction of their intestinal flora by antibiotics and other drugs. My son never got this but my daughter did after she was on antibiotics when she was a baby. We opened capsules of acidophilus at the time. Now I'd probably add VS-C and Ultimate Echinacea. -Chottsie
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index -> Forum Archive All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: