Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index Nature's Sunshine Products NSP
For customer and distributor discussions of Nature's Sunshine Products. Not an official site of NSP.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reactive Airway Disease

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index -> Forum Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CombinedNSP
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec Thu 14, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reactive Airway Disease Reply with quote

Reactive Airway Disease

My daughter is 4 1/2. Her RAD started when she was appox 6 mo. old. She was diagnosed with croup probably 10 times in the 1st year after onset. Finally, when she was 3 years old the Dr realized when cold air didn't relieve her symptoms it was not croup. Constant mis-diagnosis was discouraging. Her father has asthma, and we knew she had something more than just croup. Her symptoms start like your child, whenever there is a change in weather or she gets a cold/flue or allergy. We've had many scary times, with one ambulance trip to the ER. Good news... When this 1st started we were having 1 to 2 episodes a month, now at 4 1/2, today is only her 3rd episode this year. I understand your dread of over medicating, (I didn't even like giving her antibiotics) but it is easier on the child not to be sick than it is to take the medicine. Her distress was scary to her and to us.

1st we've controlled her allergies. Dr. put her on Pediatric Zyrtec, it's in liquid form which she takes daily, and she likes the taste so there is no fight. That solved dozens of her episodes. We have that down to taking only during peak allergy seasons now. She now knows when I need to start her back on the meds, she asks for them.

2nd, when she starts to get a cold, we start the albuterol/nebulizer with 1 treatment a day. This probably solved another dozen episodes a year. Most the time when she gets a cold we have air airway swelling under control with the medication.

3rd, if she gets a full blown episode like tonight, she gets nebulizer every 4 hours, plus 1 dose of liquid steroid for 2-3 days. This keeps her episode down to only 1 bad night. (Keeping her calm, is a huge deal. Unfortunately, the TV on all night during a spell is what calms her the most, BAD, but worth it) When she is well, we discontinue the nebulizer and steroid (and tv). As your child gets older, they'll understand what is happening to them and they'll tell you when it's time to medicate. It's scary, but keep your chin up. I know your child has other conditions to consider, so some of the medication I've recommended may not be an option. With Aly, I don't know what the future holds, probably full blown asthma, due to her father, but Dr has said, she could outgrow this. Good luck to you, and I'll say a prayer for all the children posted her. -Pam
- - - - - - - - - -
I have a client with similar problems, had another with the same problems. For the prior client (he does not have much trouble now) we used children's cold homeopathic regularly--4 times a day, during the worst times of year and that helped control his allergies. With Lobelia rubbed into his chest he did not need the albuterol. ALJ liquified any secretions and stopped the cough/gag/vomit by making the secretions liquid. He was encouraged to drink liquids all day long--his Mom gave him half filled glasses of water because he saw them as child sized. Cannot over emphasize water.

The current client was diagnosed with croup over and over. It required moisture to break it up, no matter the meds and the hospitalizations. Finally, scarred one night, they asked for help. I suggested Blue Vervain and CBG. Tell him the CBG tastes awful, I suggested, then he will know that it is fighting the ear pain. Well, that worked. Now his Mom has Blue vervain--gives it to him at the first sign of the sniffles; CBG for any ear related pain--given orally to help the eustachian tubes release their contents; ALJ to thin the mucous. They have not been back to the ER. She also uses Lobelia to rub on his chest and Breath Free in hot water to free his lungs quickly, or in a diffuser ball when he is having a hard time breathing and can't get to sleep. She keeps on top of things and this kid is a go getter, climber, runner, etc. He is active! But his Mom always has the bottle of Lobelia in her purse, and he comes to get it at the first sign of trouble. They just rub it into his chest if their weather is not too cold, or on both wrists if it is very cold. Each child is unique. Hope this is helpful. -Marilyn Navarro
- - - - - - - - - -
I wanted to tell you that I have the same Story, I am relieved to hear that with age it will get better. My son is 12 months old and has had this Problem since he was a month old, he has been on a Nebulizer Albuterol/Pulmicort and various other Steroids. It gets very tiresome, But I know it makes him better, I have a question though, is there an easier way to get him to use the Mask with his Machine. -Deborah Kennedy
- - - - - - - - - -
I also have 2 children with reactive airway disease. My oldest now 25 months has had problems since she was 6 months old and has had various rounds of albuterol, and various steroids. My youngest now 7months has had problems since 3 months and both children were hospitalized with the RSV virus for a week in May. They had to be in isolation and on oxygen for a week . Ever since the 2 year old has done very well but the 7 month old continues to have difficulties and we are constantly having to resume the albuterol and 9 out of 10 times a steroid is added. I know how you all feel about pumping them full of meds. I try to avoid it unless absolutely necessary. Unfortunately in my situation absolutely necessary is a daily thing around here. The only hope is that they will outgrown it and hopefully my oldest has. I also know that they will more then likely become worse as the weather changes again. I fortunately have a flexible work schedule but am now returning to school so Dr's visit now interfere with my classes and study time. With a child who is frequently ill it is also physically and mentally draining for the parent(s). -Samantha
- - - - - - - - - -
My daughter had RAD when she was little. That was before I knew of NSP. When I found out I put her on Combination CBG, cleaned her bowels out with Psyllium, and killed the parasites out with Black Walnut. Once I started the program she has had no other symptoms. You might try that. -Helen Red
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index -> Forum Archive All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: