Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index Nature's Sunshine Products NSP
For customer and distributor discussions of Nature's Sunshine Products. Not an official site of NSP.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Raynaud's Disease

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index -> Forum Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CombinedNSP
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec Thu 14, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Raynaud's Disease Reply with quote

Raynaud's Disease

One of my friends says she has Raynaud's. I was wondering what this disease actually is. I've looked for information on the net but can't seem to find any. If you could please give any little information that would be helpful. -A White
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I spent many years in Bolivia. There, a wise curandero gave a friend of mine with Raynaud's some excellent advice. She followed it and as long as she sticks with the principles in this diet it works for her. Eat soup every day but without meat in it. On one day eat dried fruit the next fresh. Never both kinds the same day. Raynaud's also affects elimination. Dried fruits absorb liquid giving the bowel something to push with the fiber in the fresh fruit. Eat nuts, a different kind every day, but in very limited amounts. Eat meat only once a week and in a small portion. He insisted on no milk. I agree with that. In bolivia even the goats milk is not wise to drink unless you can make sure it is clean. He also suggested that she make a solution of camomile tea, one gallon at a time. She was to bathe her abdomen before her main meal noon by pouring the warm tea over. Collect the tea and use it cold after the meal for the same purpose. This was to remove what he called the fever in the gut he blamed for the constipation. So be sure your friend has a good fiber program going. NSP has many to choose from, lots of liquid is called for Gingko is fine but don't forget Hawthorne. Hawthorne helps the heart to work by reducing the force necessary to move the blood around and it will get into those tiny arterioles and capillaries with less effort. My mother has always had chilly cold hands and feet and will not change her diet. Her hands have warmed noticeably since she started using Gingko Hawthorne and Vari-Gone. We got her started on those two after a difficult cataract surgery. She now sees very well using reading glasses only. She also has better bowel habits. -Marilyn Navarro
Taken from the Encyclopedia of Natural Healing Raynaud's Disease is the term used to describe a condition that involves the attacks of spasm of the arterioles especially in the hands and feet which turn white blue and then red cold or emotional upset often stimulates the spasms which may last minutes or hours. The pain may be excruciating with sensations of tingling, numbness and burning. Often seen in young women and rarely leads to any serious consequences such as skin ulcers or gangrene. The sudden lack of circulation that produces episodes of Raynaud's Disease is caused by a spasm in the arteries which feed the fingers. It is similar to the blood vessel constriction that occurs in migraine headaches, injury, scleroderma, lupus, thyroid. It is trauma, hypertension, thoracic outlet, syndrom, rheumatoid arthritis or arteriosclerosis. May be causative factors in this disease. In other instances it can be nervous system disorder and or hormonal influences. Smoking constricts blood vessels and the pill worsens symptoms. Flax Seed Oil taken daily is a good source of essential fatty acids. It can help alleviate symptoms. Vitamin E will help also. Cleanse the liver as toxins in the blood can hamper circulation. Capsicum and slow release Gingko Biloba are others that may help. -Mike Zavitz
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Q: I have just been diagnosed with post-traumatic Raynaud's Syndrome. This was diagnosed following a Thermogram (an infrared thermal picture of the body). The chiropractor, who is into natural health, has recommended that I consider taking amytryptalin for a period of 90 days because it resets the sympathetic nervous system. Does anyone have any info on this drug and its side effects? Has anyone had any experience with this disorder? I have had pain in my shoulder for most of the past 15 years since an auto accident, despite regular chiropractic treatments, physical therapy, massage, reflexology, improved nutrition, herbs and other energy work. I am tired of the pain and all the trips to the chiropractor so I am now on a quest to get to the root of this problem. -LaVerne
I have the numb feet thingee and doctor gave me amatryptiline to ease the nerve pain and it never helped. It did help me sleep (till 11:00 a.m. because I was so out of it I couldn't wake up). I took it 2 weeks and quit mostly because I couldn't get up at 5:00 a.m. like I usually do. I didn't wake at night, but 6-7 hours of sleep is plenty for me. I didn't like the induced sleeping. The pain continued but the sleeplessness returned. Yesterday I went to see my manager, Rita Koomen, who tested me and found I was completely devoid of minerals. Here I take handfuls of things every day and was mineral-less, LOL. Anyway, I had horrible pain in my right heel for months, could barely walk and two days on Colloidal Minerals (can't taste in either prune or grape juice) 5 T. a day to start to jump start my system, 6 Yucca and 3 Hydrangea, I am almost pain free. However, it didn't help that my husband went to move his chair today and set the leg right down on my toes full force!!! LOL I've been on 3 bottles of Hydrangea already with no results, so I don't think it is that. It is either the Yucca or Colloidal Minerals, but I tend toward the Colloidal Minerals. I am walking normally for the first time in about 4 months. I will eliminate Yucca next week and see what happens. I bawled it was so wonderful to wake this morning to no pain. I'd at least give it a try and see what happens. I never thought of minerals and I never thought Colloidal Minerals. I do know that when I worked with Raynaud's with our financial advisor, I gave her Magnesium and Capsicum and she improved greatly. That's all I used. Let us know. -Nolee
The brand name is Elavil or Endep. This drug is prescribed for the relief of symptoms of mental depression. It is a member of the group of drugs called tricyclic antidepressants. Some doctors also prescribe Elavil to treat bulimia, to control chronic pain, to prevent migraine headaches, and to treat a pathological weeping and laughing syndrome associated with MS. Most important fact about this drug: You may need to take Elavil regularly for several weeks before it becomes fully effective. Do not skip doses, even if they seem to make no difference or you feel you don't need them. Side effects may include: Abnormal movements, anxiety, black tongue, blurred vision, breast development in males, breast enlargement, coma, confusion, constipation, delusions, diarrhea, difficult or frequent urination, difficulty in speech, dilation of pupils, disorientation, disturbed concentration, dizziness on getting up, dizziness or light-headedness, drowsiness, dry mouth, excessive or spontaneous flow of milk, excitement, fatigue, fluid retention, hair loss, hallucinations, headache, heart attack, hepatitis, high blood pressure, high fever, high or low blood sugar, hives, impotence, inability to sleep, increased or decreased sex drive, increased perspiration, increased pressure within the eye, inflammation of the mouth, intestinal obstruction, irregular heartbeat, lack of loss of coordination, loss of appetite, low blood pressure, nausea, nightmares, numbness, rapid and/or fast, fluttery heartbeat, rash, red or purple spots on skin, restlessness, ringing in the ears, seizures, sensitivity to light, stomach upset, strange taste, stroke, swelling due to fluid retention in the face and tongue, swelling of testicles, swollen glands, tingling and pins and needles in the arms and legs, tremors, vomiting, weakness, weight gain or loss, yellowed eyes and skin. Do not take Elavil while taking other antidepressants known as MAO inhibitors. Drugs in this category include Nardil and Parnate. If you stop taking Elavil, decrease your dose gradually. -Peggy Day
Goes by Raynaud's Disease or Raynaud's Phenomenon. The finger tips go numb all the time, not only when it gets cold. Can anybody give me some help on this? -Jay Forman
Raynaud's disease or phenomena may result from atherosclerosis or the ingestion of ergot derivatives and other causes. We have found that improving the circulation with Capsicum, Vitamin E, and even MSM is helpful. Gloves are a must for some sufferers. -Dalean Sirrah
It is the lack of circulation to all small capillaries. It can eventually kill. Look for an underlying cause. -Richard Ask
My mother-in-law is afflicted with this disease. She has even gone as far as to have nerve blocks done to regain circulation in her fingers. They would literally turn black and just peel off. This was before she went herbal. She uses Irish Moss Lotion to keep her skin moist. Butcher's Broom for circulation and Ginger for the digestive problems that she had because of it. She is now a devoted NSP Distributor! -Janice Orlik
When I had my shop in the Dayton Farmer's Market in Virginia, a customer complained of Raynaud's disease, and was experiencing cold and numb hands. She would wear gloves all the time to keep her fingers warm. I kept telling her about herbs and good herbs for circulation and she finally decided to give it a try. I sold her a bottle of Ginkgo & Hawthorn and immediately she felt warm sensations in her fingers. Ginkgo increases circulation, not only to the brain but extremities as well. Hawthorn is a good heart tonic. She then decided to do the whole Mega-Chel program and is doing really well. -Susan
I had a lady come in with Raynaud's disease. I am having a hard time finding a lot of material in my books on it. Please give me any experience you have. To make matters worse, it is secondary Raynaud's which means another disease is present, but they haven't discovered what this one is yet. -Glen Byler
I have a book called "Prescription for Nutritional Healing" that explains Raynaud's Phenomenon this way: "A circulatory disorder that results in the hands, and sometimes in the feet, being hypersensitive to the cold. When the hands are exposed to cold temperatures, the small arteries that supply the toes and fingers suddenly contract and go into spasm. As a result, the fingers and toes are deprived of adequate amounts of oxygenated blood, and become white or blue in color. The symptoms come on quickly and may also be triggered by emotional stress. Over time, the condition may result in a general shrinkage of the affected area. It is more common in women. It may occur by itself or it may be complicated by another underlying illness. Some of the disorders that can lead to Raynaud's phenomenon include arteriosclerosis and Buerger's disease, a chronic inflammation of the blood vessels in the extremities that is most common in people who smoke. Certain drugs that affect the blood vessels--such as calcium channel blockers, ergot preparations, and alpha-and beta-adrenergic blockers--have been known to produce symptoms similar to those of Raynaud's as a side effect. Recent research has also linked Raynaud's with other conditions involving abnormal constriction of blood vessels, including migraine and Prinzmetal's angina (angina caused by spasms in the coronary arteries)." The nutrients they recommend: essential- Co-Q10, Vitamin E, very important- Calcium & Magnesium & Zinc, Lecithin, Chlorophyll, choline & inositol, Dimethylglycine (DMG), Vitamin B-Complex plus extra B6, Folic Acid, Vitamin B3. Important- bee propolis or Royal Jelly, Flax Seed Oil or Evening Primrose Oil, or salmon oil. Butcher's Broom, Cayenne, Ginkgo and Pau D'Arco can be used to improve circulation and strengthen blood vessels. Eat a diet composed of 50% raw foods. Avoid fatty and fried foods. Avoid caffeine (constricts blood vessels) Keep hands and feet warm. Avoid stress as much as possible. Avoid drugs that constrict the blood vessels, such as birth control pills and migraine headache medicine. Do not smoke (nicotine constricts blood vessels). The calcium channel blocker nifedipine (Adalat, Procardia) is a medically accepted treatment for Raynaud's phenomenon. -Dawn Pfaff
Sounds like someone with Raynaud's could benefit from Mega-Chel. -Jim Duffy
I have been diagnosed with this also by means of a thermogram, a very accurate test that prints out a picture like an infrared picture showing the various thermal readings. My feet and hands were so cold they did not show up on the pictures at all. The doctor (a chiropractor very familiar with natural methods) told me that this is caused by the autonomic nervous system "clamping down" and restricting the circulation, often due to some type of injury. The example he gave was like in the case of the loss of a limb in an accident or war, the body will sometimes clamp down and it will actually not bleed. He suggested a drug the resets the sympathetic nervous system. He said it would quiet down the autonomic nervous system. This takes about 90 days. The drug is an antidepressant and has many side effects. I asked him about a natural route and he told me to take enough Niacin to get a full flush 1-2X per day, Butcher's Broom and Gingko. I really don't have any symptoms except cold hands sometimes so I don't know what kind of progress I am making. -LaVerne Cribbs
Could anyone explain to me what this is and what is helpful to remedy it? -Christine Marquez
- - - - - - - - - - - -
This condition causes a severe lack of circulation mostly in the extremities. Helpful is Super Antioxidant, Omega-3EPA's, Mega-Chel, Ginkgo & Hawthorn. -Inge Wetzel
- - - - - - - - - - - -
I know for a fact that Mega-Chel really works for this. Have a friend in SC who went on Mega-Chel and she has had great results from this. -Gwen Wildes
- - - - - - - - - - - -
This makes sense. Mega-Chel program sounds great! Have a friend in South America who went to a local herbalist and the program he put her on (with success) was the same he puts his cardiac patients on. Might try some Vari-Gone or Ginkgo & Hawthorn as needed. One of the outstanding things I remember about that treatment was the eating of dried fruits one day and fresh fruits the next. He said it is because with Raynaud's there is a very dirty colon and they needed both pushers and absorbers to work. Might want to check out colon health for this one after building health with the Mega-Chel program. -Marilyn Navarro
Q: I have Raynaud's Syndrome and it has gotten worse in the last year. If I get up in the morning and take a shower either in the morning or afternoon, even in hot water my hands turn completely white. They stay that way for anywhere from 30 min to an hour. They then turn blue and my fingers and fingernails hurt very bad. My hands are like ice cubes. I can never keep them warm. I drive to work and my heater is on in the car and my hands and feet are frozen when I get to work. I suffer from Lupus which is probably the cause of my Raynaud's Syndrome. Between the pain from the two, there are times when I just feel like I am sick and tired of being in all this pain. The worse part is there does not seem to be any cure in sight. Anyone with some info that could help me would be very appreciated. Thanks. Tim
Interesting. I was diagnosed with lupus in '97. Raynaud's falls under the umbrella too. My toes turn blue in the shower too! My toes and fingers also stay very cold. No ideas though. I was looking for answers myself. I was feeling awful...for a very long time (I also have Sjogren's Syndrome) and my daughter had strep so she got an antibiotic. Her dr. suggested that I take it too as a precautionary step. I finished it last week and I feel awesome! We'll see how long that last. Let me know if you get any answers! Thanks. -Crystal
Q: All of a sudden my hands will turn reddish, like a blush to the face. No reason I know of. Anyone experience this and the reason(s) why? -Jeannette Adams
- - - - - - - - - -
Hello Jeanette: I've seen my mothers hands do that, but hers will do this when exposed to warm dish water, after she brings hands out of the water they stay red or blushed for a few minutes.

It is somewhat a mystery or phenomenon, and probably not anything to be concerned about. However, if s/s persist or anything changes like they do turn white, and then bluish, or become painful. I myself would probably seek out a professional opinion from a qualified doctor who deals with circulatory disorders. Seems as though blood vessels are dilating and rush of blood will flow in causing a blushed look, and warmth feeling. It's as though the blood vessels were constricted, and when they dilated this rush of blood flooded in to the area. Like tying a tourniquet around the area constricting it will make it turn white and then when you let the tie off the blood comes rushing in blushing the skin.

There is a phenomenon that actually exist known as Raynauds you may want to read about it and at least keep it in mind just in case this does seem like the case. Raynaud's phenomenon also can occur before an arthritis condition is evident. You may be experiencing subtle signs of some type of condition, and it may be nothing. It is always good to read about things and keep your knowledge current even if it means nothing to you in particular. Just food for thought.

****Learn More About Raynaud's Phenomenon****

http://www.midwestarthritis.com/html/raynauds.htm

Read about Olive Leaf and its wonderful benefits. Olive Leaf

"The information provided on this website is to be used for educational purpose and not to be substitute for medical attention. What NOT meant for a diagnose or to treat a medical condition. If you need to see a Medical Doctor then please do so."
- - - - - - - - - -
I have the same problem with my hands turning : red, only mine will do this if I get nervous : or anxious. They tend to have the most : redness at night and occasionally while I : exercise. I have been drinking tea lately : and think that the caffeine has enhance the : redness alot. While my hands turn red I : also have hyperhydrosis,
Have you been checked for hyperthyroid. Since you found your "red hands" symptom get worse by ingesting caffeinated tea, this can be a sign that if your thyroid is overactive, it could have aggravated it more. Other symptoms of a hyperthyroid are: nervousness, feeling anxious, protruding eyes, loosing weight without trying or difficulty gaining weight, also heart palpitations. Best wishes. -Lourdes Martinez
I have had many blood tests and if there are other underlying causes for Raynaud; such as lupus, schleroderma tests. I am not sure about the hyperthyroid test though. I do have alot of nervousness. I can just stand in a line at the store and get very anxious. If I am wearing sandals my feet sweat so badly that it makes it hard to walk around, so I try to avoid wearing them as much as possible. Does anyone know about ETS and if it works for calming the redness? -Cynthia Feinauer
I have found a few inferences that talk about how to control or reverse Raynaud's:

"The World Health Organization has recommended the use of ginkgo in Raynaud's disease, acrocyanosis, and post-phlebitic syndrome."

Herbalist's that use NSP products have found success with Gingko/Gotu Kola w/ bacopa formula.

Still have not found explanation of what is the underlying cause. Best wishes. -Lourdes Martinez
Concerning Raynaud's, the following recommendation came from a healthy alternatives type newsletter that I receive:

'Raynaud's disease involves the spasm of small arteries, generally in the hands and feet. These spasms temporarily shut off blood flow, resulting in numbness, tingling, burning, and--in severe cases--tissue destruction. Stress or exposure to cold temperatures usually triggers the episodes.

Medical treatment for Raynaud's disease usually consists of advice on how to keep the hands warm during cold weather, and possibly a prescription for sedatives to help deal with stressful situations. Obviously, neither of these "treatments" address the underlying cause of the problem.

Researchers in Italy, at the University of Milan, have demonstrated that L-arginine supplementation proved to be a safe, effective treatment for Raynaud's. Following oral supplementation with L-arginine, patients had: increased blood flow during a warming of the area; an opening (dilation) of blood vessels instead of constriction and spasms when the area was subjected to cold temperatures; and an increase in the blood plasma levels of plasminogen (the compound that breaks down fibrin, the substance responsible for blood clots).

If it could do nothing else, L-arginine should be heralded as a major breakthrough in the treatment of Raynaud's disease.

Dosages and Safety
The generally recommended therapeutic dosages (and those used in the studies above) are usually in the range of five to six grams of L-arginine a day. In acute infections or physical trauma, dosages of between 15-20 grams per day are not uncommon. It is not recommended that these high dosages of L-arginine be consumed from the start. It would be wise to begin with about one-fourth the recommended dosages and gradually over several days, work up to the full amounts. It is commonly taken on an empty stomach; however, if upset occurs it can be taken with meals." -Deana
I agree with someone who said this could be Raynaud's. I have recently had this occur also, just about a month ago. It happens if I have my hands under cold water or I wring something out tightly (such as washing clothes by hand in the bathtub). I have never had a problem before with this and it just started occurring with me also. The first thing that came to my mind when it happened was Raynauds syndrome. I've read on this recently and Magnesium, taurine (an amino acid), Vitamin E and Essential fatty acids are all very helpful. A lack of iron in your diet can cause anemia which will increase sensitivity to cold; however it is best to get iron in food sources as supplements can be dangerous if you do not need them. Quit smoking if you do, as this causes vasospasm and encourages plaque to form in arteries, slowing circulation(this is actually one of the best things you can do to help this problem, I've read). Try to stay away from alcohol also as it actually lowers your body temperature. Coffee or caffeinated drinks cause blood vessels to constrict. There is other recommendations I've read if you are ever interested but too long to put here. Hope this helps you. -Regina
I was diagnosed with Raynaud's last summer. My hands and bottom of my feet turn red and get very painful. My sister and daughter also have this but their hands and feet turn white. There are several phases of Raynaud's. Sometimes it can be painful and/or very dry, tingly and my feet feel like they're on fire. Hot weather is worst for me where cold weather is worse for others. I tried alot of things but one thing I found that has truly helped is Cordyceps. I will never be with out Cordyceps again. I still have the redness but no pain or tingly feeling like before. There is no blood test for Raynaud's unless it's very recent so the Dr will diagnose by symptoms. -Valerie Griffin
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index -> Forum Archive All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: