Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index Nature's Sunshine Products NSP
For customer and distributor discussions of Nature's Sunshine Products. Not an official site of NSP.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pregnant - Herbs to Avoid

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index -> Forum Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CombinedNSP
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec Thu 14, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: Pregnant - Herbs to Avoid Reply with quote

Pregnant - Herbs to Avoid

Where can I obtain a list of herbs to avoid during pregnancy? I did a search on the forum, but didn't find anything. Thank you. -Lillyanna
- - - - - - - - - -
I would like to know What the difference is between the Omega 3 supplements and Flax Seed Oil. And if the Omega 3 supplements are safe during pregnancy? I am concerned with mercury. If there is a difference which one would be best to take during pregnancy? Thanks. -Chrystal
- - - - - - - - - -
You have asked a very good question and I wish all pregnant women realized how important this topic is during pregnancy and beyond. I will tell you what I teach to pregnant mommies.

Essential Fatty Acids are an important part of everyone's diet - young or old, no matter what stage of life. They are called "essential" because our body cannot manufacture them and they can only be obtained through food sources. They are polyunsaturated fatty acids and are very good for you. Omega-3s (found primarily in cold-water fish) and Omega-6s (found in grains, most plant-based oils, organic poultry and organic eggs) both have great benefits for a pregnant mother and her growing baby. Omega-3s help with circulation and healthy brain development; Omega-6s greatly benefits the nervous system and reproductive health; both help to keep hormones balanced. Most people get plenty of Omega-6s through the foods they eat (cereals, whole grains, bread, baked goods, fried foods, margarine, and others --- not that I RECOMMEND all those foods!!!) ; but we don't get enough Omega-3s.

Key Omega-3 fatty acids include EPA and DHA, both found primarily in oily cold-water fish such as tuna, salmon and mackerel. Fresh seaweed is also rich in Omega-3s (and that is how fish get it - from the phyto-planktons that they eat!). DHA has been proven to be critical for good brain development and health, and has been added to infant formulas for years in Europe. It has now been mandated to be included in US infant formulas as well --- but of course I believe every baby should be breast-fed!! That means MOMMY needs to be getting her Omega-3s!!

A third Omega-3, ALA, is found primarily in dark green leafy veggies, flaxseed oils, and certain vegetable oils. ALA has different effects on the body than EPA and DHA, but a person in very good health with good enzyme production can covert ALA to EPA.

It is a medically observed fact that people with diets rich in Omega-3 fatty acids have far less heart disease, rheumatoid arthritis, diabetes, and psoriasis. They improve heart health, reduce hypertension (a very beneficial effect for a pregnant mother!), improve autoimmune disorders, improve depression and memory, and help prevent cancer.

I recommend to all my pregnant mommies that they work to reduce their consumption of Omega-6-rich foods and try to boost their consumption of Omega-3-rich foods: --Coldwater fish (not farm-raised) such as salmon, sardines, halibut, and mackerel. I am leery about tuna so I do not recommend that during pregnancy, because of the mercury contamination. If you don't eat these types of fish AT LEAST twice a week, you must take an Omega-3 supplement. --Wild game - bison and venison are very good sources of Omega-3s. ---Plant sources include flaxseed (you can grind it in a small coffee grinder; use it right away or store in the freezer after grinding; sprinkle it on your salads, soups, etc. Nice nutty flavor!); flaxseed oil (NSP has a very good quality oil, but some pregnant mommies have a hard time taking it because of different taste buds); walnuts; green leafy vegetables. Most people don't realize that 1/4 cup of walnuts has more Omega-3s than a 3 ounce piece of salmon!

So....yes! Pregnant women and their babies need plenty of Omega-3s to nourish the developing brain of the growing baby while in the uterus, and from birth and beyond! If a pregnant mommy doesn't consume enough Omega-3s, the growing baby will take all that are available, and this will often lead to depression problems in the mother. (Think of Omega-3s as the "Prozac of the ocean"!!)

One other word of caution - take your essential fatty acids at a sepearte time that you are taking your fiber.

Okay - your other question - what about mercury contamination? I am so pleased to tell you that Nature's Sunshine's Hi-Epa Omega 3's, and their DHA, are both pharmaceutical grade, where contaminants are measured in parts per billion. They are very source, and if you cannot get organic meats and fish (vs. farm-raised fish), taking the capsules would definitely be safer for both you and the baby.

The program I am putting all of my pregnant mommies on now is the Habit-of-Health program. It includes a complete balance of EVERYTHING a pregnant mommy and her baby need: omega-3s, fiber, probiotics, vitamins & minerals, enzymes, and strong anti-oxidants. Make sure you drinking plenty of purified water, too! For more information about this program, if you don't know about it, you can visit my website below. You save 20% on the cost of these products by purchasing them together. It is a great program for EVERYONE!!! Hubby, too!! -Sharon Grimes
- - - - - - - - - -
NO mercury in NSP Omega 3 EPA. I am definitely partial to this product -- PG or not. It feeds the brain which is SO important during pregnancy.

I'm only reiterating in a small way what Sharon said. She really gave an excellent explanation. -Georgiana
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index -> Forum Archive All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: