Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index Nature's Sunshine Products NSP
For customer and distributor discussions of Nature's Sunshine Products. Not an official site of NSP.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nursing - Increasing Milk

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index -> Forum Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CombinedNSP
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec Thu 14, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: Nursing - Increasing Milk Reply with quote

Nursing - Increasing Milk

One of my best friends just had a baby boy that was three months early. He only weighed 1 pound 15 ounces and is only 12" long. She has been pumping milk and taking it up to the hospital for him. But is getting worried because her milk is drying up. The baby also has a heart murmur and will be having surgery to repair it in a few days.

Another friend of mind suggested that she take Blessed Thistle and/or Red Raspberry. Any other suggestions and amounts for her to take. Also, any other suggestions that may help the baby out.

I know that herbs will work. I am still learning and need lots of help with this one. -Jennifer Long
- - - - - - - - - -
Hi Jennifer: My fourth daughter, Jennifer, was born 3 months early also. She weighed 1 lb. 13 oz. I did exactly as your friend did with an electric breast pump. If she is just AFRAID of her milk drying up, it won't if she continues to pump and nourishes herself. My girl was in the hospital for 2 1/2 months and by the end of three weeks, I had enough milk to fill a 46 oz Tupperware. I froze it and took it to the hospital. She was only getting about a teaspoon of it at 3 weeks, but the nurses used to laugh as I walked in with my big Tupperware every day. Thankfully, they were able to use it for other babies. I am sure the Blessed Thistle and Red Raspberry will be wonderful for her, but just encourage her to keep pumping. It is a long and scary journey through this and when you add the prospect of surgery for the baby, Mom probably needs some Stress-J liquid too. It's wonderful!!! Tell her not to be afraid. The things they can do today for these babies is miraculous. -Nolee
- - - - - - - - - -
First and foremost, when she is pumping, is her milk letting down EVERY time? If it is not, that could be the cause of the reduction. This should be done on a set time schedule. Sporadic pumping times will get sporadic milk. Tell her to drink plenty of fluids 30 minutes before pumping. After drinking, massage the breast in a circular motion to help the milk let down. There is a let down reflex in the middle of the shoulder blades as well. (Need the hubby for that one...hard to reach! Shower works good too.) Then begin pumping. That should help the milk let down. Also, to increase milk continue to pump even if you are getting NOTHING. Pump for several minutes more (or what ever she can stand with the pump) This too will signal the breasts to increase the supply.

As far as herbs go. I used the Red raspberry always. This did not increase the production however. I used Blessed Thistle and then the Fenugreek and Thyme worked the best for me. You can get the fenugreek in a tea and that worked too. I would have her take a prenatal vitamin as well.

Might also make some warming packs. Fill a sock with rice. Heat up in the microwave and place over the breast and massage. Works like a charm.

Tell your friend not to give up. Please email if you have any other questions. I have nursed 3 kids for a total of 43 months. It is not always easy, but it is the best way! -Jen
- - - - - - - - - -
I have been helping the family of a preemie boy born at 27 weeks and weighing in 1 lb. 13 oz. He is now 39 weeks old and is almost to 5 lbs. His mother has taken many herbs to help HIM through her breast milk. Key help for both his lung development and her breast milk supply until he could start nursing has been Fenugreek and Thyme. She had some rough days at first, but has pumped every 3 hours around the clock and has had PLENTY of milk --- it has been used for other preemies and she has so much stored up in the NICU freezer, that she is going to leave it there. Alex has had two surgeries and should be coming home any day now!! We can't wait! -Sharon Grimes
- - - - - - - - - -
Definitely use the Blessed Thistle in coordination with the other suggestions, both for her milk AND for oxygenating baby's system. -Desiree
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index -> Forum Archive All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: