Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index Nature's Sunshine Products NSP
For customer and distributor discussions of Nature's Sunshine Products. Not an official site of NSP.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Moth Prevention

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index -> Forum Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CombinedNSP
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec Fri 15, 2006 11:10 am    Post subject: Moth Prevention Reply with quote

Moth Prevention

How do I get rid of moths and when is the best time? -Joyce King
- - - - - - - - - -
We were having an awful problem at our beach house this summer. I cleaned out my cabinets, put in new shelf paper and sprinkled Peppermint Oil all over the place. The moths don't like peppermint oil. It didn't completely rid the house of them, we had to fumigate - but the Peppermint Oil does seem to keep them at bay. I just refresh every 3 weeks or so. The kitchen was where my problem was - then they would fly into the living room. -Earline Neeley
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I have a real problem with moths in my kitchen. I was thinking about using Eucalyptus Oil or Thyme. Has anyone dealt with this? -Inge Wetze
The first thing you have to do is throw out all of your dried goods unless they are watertight/airtight containers. These moths are probably pantry moths and their larvae have the ability to burrow into boxes and plastic bags so all dry goods may be contaminated. Home depot has little hanging moth things you can put in your closet. They also have pantry traps that will sexually attract them and kill them. The only other way is to hire a chemical exterminator or fog your house which is not too healthy. If you get rid of the contaminated food and set plenty of traps you should pose no health risk to your family. -Jim Duffy
Have used Patchouli with some success. They usually come from the grocery store. I ended up going through my pantry and putting all my food with grains in Tupperware. That worked best. -Tonja Wells
Q: We are seeing tiny moths....bird seed was brought in loaded with little bugs. The children didn't notice when it was bought (from a quality pet store). Any suggestions? Can't have these flying around in my shop. -Patsy Reynolds
Once they are in the house there's not a whole lot you can do. You can take the birdseed and put it in the freezer for 3 days to kill the rest of the eggs. I buy wheat berries for bread making in 50lb buckets and on rare occasions that has been an issue, but the freezer method kills them. All grain generally has some type of "life" in it. It's hard to avoid. After you freeze your seed, store it in an airtight Rubbermaid type container with lid to prevent re-infestation. -Ginger
You have to stay on top of these. Get the vacuum and vacuum them up as you see them. Keep anything they can eat in glass. They will eat through cellophane to get to food. Get little cardboard traps from a pest killer. They are insidious. I think they are called Indian meal moths. -Kristine Hughes
Remember the forum posting about Nature's Fresh and flies? Well, we had to travel and got caught in San Francisco's heat wave. When we stopped at a rest area the little moths filled our vehicle. I remembered that posting, opened one front door, and from the back started spraying with the Nature's Fresh – the little critters all flew out the door! We easily shut windows and doors and were on our way with no flying passengers. So you might want to open a door, and start from the opposite side chase them away with Nature's Fresh! It certainly will do no harm, and could even get you more sales! -Marilyn Navarro
I had a moth problem too. I put anything that attracted them in the refrigerator or freezer. Then I got a moth trap. It has pheronomes in it. Something that attracts moths. A friend gave it to me. Here is the name of the product and where to get it.

Whitmore Microgen Research Lab, 3568 Tree court Industrial Blvd. St Louis, Missouri 63122 tel # 1-800-777-8570 www.wmmg.com It's called an ALLURE moth trap. I have allergies all over the place and it doesn't bother me. No smell. It works great! No more moths or worms. -Shelley
Get rid of the bag of bird seed or next time you buy seed add to it diatamatious earth (I don't know if it's spelled right). -Tom Majors
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index -> Forum Archive All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: