Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index Nature's Sunshine Products NSP
For customer and distributor discussions of Nature's Sunshine Products. Not an official site of NSP.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Meniere's Disease (Labyrinthitis)

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index -> Forum Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CombinedNSP
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec Fri 15, 2006 11:49 am    Post subject: Meniere's Disease (Labyrinthitis) Reply with quote

Meniere's Disease (Labyrinthitis)

Meniere's Disease (MD), also called endolymphatic hydrops, is a disorder of the inner ear associated with a change in fluid volume within a portion of the inner ear known as the labyrinth. When your head moves, nerve receptors in the labyrinth send signals to the brain about the body's motion. Symptoms include hearing loss, dizziness, nausea and vomiting. Persons experience symptoms at varying frequencies, durations, and intensities. Symptoms may occur daily or as infrequently as once a year. Attacks commonly occur suddenly and may last several hours. The very first episode may last longer than 24 hours, but subsequent episodes do not. While the disease may occur in children, it most commonly affects persons between the ages of 20 and 50. It occurs equally in men and women. Treatment of Meniere's Disease consists of medication and possibly, surgery with much consideration given to preservation of hearing.
www.ontheweb.bizhosting.com/DirectoryService/MediFocusMedCenter/TL008.HTM
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What do you recommend for motion sickness? The doctor says I have a viral infection. I am now taking ALJ, Hayfever/Pollen Homeopathic, but I feel dizzy with motion. There must be fluid in the middle ear. -Denise Griffin
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Allegedly, Labyrinthitis is caused by a virus. It is also said that candida and/or parasites may be involved. I would be taking Black Walnut, Para-Cleanse, VS-C, Flora Force, Caprylic Acid or Olive Leaf Extract and stay away from all candida feeding foods like sugar, bread, etc. -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Try ear candling. From: KLubecke@aol.com (Kay Lubecke, Author of Recipes for Success)
Dizziness: Often caused by an inflammation of the inner ear caused by a virus (Labyrinthitis)
VS-C, High Potency Garlic, & Pau D'Arco, Lavender Oil rubbed around the ear, Chinese Stress Relief. If experienced after having a stroke: Ginkgo/Gotu Kola and Grapine*. Can be cause by low blood sugar - see hypoglycemia. Can be caused by dehydration or mineral imbalance; Use Chinese Mineral Chi, Colloidal Minerals. Recipes for Success symptomatic card reference file© Lubecke Enterprises, Inc. 1999. -Teresa McIntyre
Has anyone had experience working with a person with Labyrinthitis? I'm working with a nine-year-old female who was diagnosed with this. She has extreme headaches, dizziness, earache, fatigue and legs that ache. This has been going on for 12 weeks and has gotten so bad she cannot attend school.
My mother had this for a while. They called it Labyrinthitis. It is believed to be an inner ear disturbance. Many people feel that candida and parasites are involved and also a virus may be involved. She did not go on a program for this, so I cannot suggest a specific protocol. However, if such is the case, then the usual anti-candida, anti-parasite and anti-fungal herbs should be checked out. Dietary modifications are a must (avoiding the sugar, molds, carbohydrates, fungus foods like mushrooms, etc., alcohol, etc.). Black Walnut, Herbal Pumpkin, VS-C, Olive Leaf Extract, Caprylimune, colon cleanses, Flora Force, etc. I am sure others will contribute to this list. -Lisa Ayala
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
Need help for Labyrinthitis (inner ear inflammation). A 17-year-old boy with lots of dizziness, nausea, occasional headache. What else besides Ginger? I am thinking maybe VS-C for any viral cause and Fenugreek for any congestion. -Allison Cantilina
Don't forget the Chinese IF-C for inflammation. As well, no dairy , wheat, corn, sugar. I would also use Echinacea to clear the lymphatic. As well as lymphatic drainage massage. check for parasites. -Shay Johnson
Try CBG Extract internally and put in the ear. This will usually handle an ear infection. I always use Colloidal Silver for all types of infections. -Gale Gravois
Try Olive Leaf Extract and using CBG Extract internally in the ear. Also add Helichrysum with Colloidal Silver internally as well. A nice lymphatic massage around the outer area of the ear with Lavender Oil can help soothe and get things moving again. -Kimberly Balas
Anyone out there have any suggestions on Meniere's Disease? A lady who has tried several things and is still having a hard time. It has to do with the ringing in the ears. She can't drive or even walk sometimes. She says its like motion sickness. -LeeAnn
I took a course in Contact Reflex Analysis taught by Irene Miesse. There is a reflex point to check for Meniere's and adjusting the atlas can help. The following are the suggested herbs in the information she handed out. Herbs: Yarrow, Combination CBG, Vitamins: Folic Acid, B12, B6, Niacin, B-Complex, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Minerals: Vitamin Calcium, Potassium. It suggests you check for anemia, allergies, heart, adrenal, atlas and TMJ. -LaVerne
As I was reading about Vitamin B2, I found Meniere's syndrome in the Indications section. Very timely. -Bill
Help! Has anyone had any experience with this disease? If so, would you kindly share your knowledge! (And also NSP formulas) Thanks so very much ;-) Blessings -Annette
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Had surgery for Meniere's before herbs, but I have researched it a little. There seems to be some connection between poor blood sugar control and the Meniere's (I had gestational diabetes and have been hypoglycemic). I would look to the adrenals first (Licorice Root, Chinese Mineral Chi). There also seems to be some connection between a Manganese deficiency and Meniere's. I would check for parasites and candida and also look to the nervous system. Stress definitely aggravated mine. I've also read that the fluid can accumulate because of poor circulation. Haven't a clue about the nodes. Never heard of slurred speech as being part of the syndrome. Apparently many other problems have been blamed on Meniere's. Has she had the test where she drinks this horribly sweet drink (that basically sucks all the fluid out of her ears) and then has a hearing test? I was told this is the definitive Meniere's test. If the hearing improves, it is Meniere's.

It's a problem of the inner ear, perhaps due to poor blood flow to the brain or poor carbohydrate metabolism. Symptoms are hearing loss, Tinnitus (ringing in the ears), vertigo (ranging from mild swimminess to violent spinning), nausea and vomiting (during the more violent spinning). Fluid retention in the semicircular canals of the ear apparently causes the hearing loss and vertigo, therefore a low sodium diet is recommended. I didn't really believe the diet was helping until I ate a very high sodium (and processed) meal and within 30 minutes was spinning and vomiting.

Allopathic treatment is Valium, Antivert, Scopalamine patches, and diuretics. When I had the surgery four years ago, there were two options. One was to put a shunt into the middle ear to drain the canals. This had a 66% success rate of controlling the vertigo. The one I chose was resection of the vestibular nerve. Much more radical, but the success rate was 98%. (I was desperate.) There may be more options now. I have also discovered in my research that there seems to be some connection between Meniere's and blood sugar problems (I had gestational diabetes and have been hypoglycemic). Balch's "Prescription for Nutritional Healing" suggests a manganese deficiency may contribute to the problem. -Cindy Perez
Meniere's disease, Moniker's syndrome, auditory vertigo. Disorder characterized by vertigo, nausea, vomiting, Tinnitus and progressive deafness due to swelling of the endolymphatic duct. Butcher's Broom is specifically indicated for Meniere's disease. -Jmtoates
Hi everybody, I'm looking for advice in this case: This happen to be the mother of my upline manager, but neither of us had any prior experience with this Meniere's Syndrome that affects the middle ear and the body balance.This lady is 75 years old and she lives abroad, recently she had two falls in which she lost her balance, she is experiencing pain in the back, she constantly loses her balance and has slurred speech. Two days ago the doctors did a brain scan and found two nodes one in each side of the brain but it has not been determined what exactly they are. Please send suggestions A.S.A.P. my manager will be traveling in the next 48 hrs. and she wants to bring the products her mother might need. Thanks. -George Perez
T/R Gingko Biloba Extract has been beneficial with my clients if it is circulation causing the problem. A chiropractic adjustment to the skull can help. Ear candling is beneficial. Also, an iris analysis my reveal a viral or parasitical cause. -Mike Zavitz
Any successes with treating Meniere's Syndrome? Dizziness/vertigo, ringing in the ears, at times terrible brain fog also. -Allison Cantilina
Gingko & Hawthorn 2 tabs, twice daily is what my Dad uses. Very good results. -Patsy Reynolds
Try a Para-Cleanse and keep going till they test off it as well. -Valerie Steiner
My niece has had Meniere's for several years now. Does anyone have any experience in dealing with this? She has a 40% hearing loss as well, which the doctors attribute to a viral infection which just happened to precede their Meniere's. -bridgetsfire
You might check her for some substantial underlying candida and/or parasite problems. Virus: VS-C; Uρa de Gato Extract; hearing loss: Helichrysum EO; candida: Pau D'Arco, Black Walnut, Caprylic Acid, Garlic, Tea Tree Oil and tons of Flora Force. -Lisa Ayala
Q: Can anyone tell me if they have had any success with this for anyone of their clients or for themselves? -Denise
- - - - - - - - - -
With menieres my understanding is that it is a combo of vertigo, nausea and vomiting, tinnitus (ringing in the ears) and hearing loss. Often there is sense of fullness that increases in the ears, followed by the attack, which may last for hours. Often, as time progresses, hearing loss occurs. It can continue for years.

I've never treated anyone with this but from what I have studied this is what I can pass on to you:

Firstly has the person that has this problem have hypoglycemia (low blood sugar; get the shakes when they don't eat on time; crave sugar; sometimes have fuzzy thinking)? If so, this needs to be treated as well. Could try HY-A. Test if you can (if hypolglycemic - HY-C).

Also do they have tinnitus (ringing in ear)? If so which side? Left or right? Supposedly this indicates different deficiencies. If it is the right ear check for a deficiency in Magnesium, Vitamin F (which is found in the herb Safflowers olive oil and safflower oil), and check for the amino acid histidine.

If it is the left ear, check for a deficiency in manganese (Yucca is very high in this mineral), vitamin B-6 and the amino acid Arginine.

I recommend you pick up a copy of "The Ultimate Healing System" and it will tell you how to test for these deficiencies. It is kinesiology but it uses the acupuncture points for minerals and vitamins. This information has done wonders in helping me help my clients even better.

I recommend that the person also take pH GreenZone it has so many nutrients the royal jelly and bee pollen in the mix provides many amino acids and b-vitamins. Best wishes. -Lourdes Martinez
Meniere's Syndrome is the result of disease. It causes an echo in the hearing perceived as noise ranging from low-pitched rumbling to high whistling screaming. It is awful. With it can come a lack of balance. I acquired this madness as a result of a virus when I was just 16 years old. I retaught myself balance by walking up and down ramps at various angles until I could walk a 2x4 timber at any reasonable angle without falling. I fell a lot at first – so placed the 2x4 flat on the ground, wide side up until I could single foot walk 10 feet. It took me two weeks, about 2 hours a day to teach myself that. But the sound did not go away. NSP brought me T/R Gingko Biloba Extract and Gingko & Hawthorn. After several weeks of this I could hear the silence everyone else enjoys at night. I do not have much hearing loss, so someone else will have to help with that. My worst noise was the sound of feedback from a microphone, and when I hear that sound it stays in my head for hours – or until I get some T/R Gingko Biloba Extract down, then it calms down and goes away. The best explanation I have found is that the virus damaged nerves in the hearing department, the brain rerouted because it really wants to hear. The problem is that as the damaged nerves start to heal they don't carry sound to well and you get these awful noises that are basically feedback. I was told once at a hearing clinic that a liquid local anesthetic (they mentioned the kind sold for sore throats) can be dripped into the ear if one is going to be exposed to sounds that irritate and then it doesn't hurt so much. I never tried it, but it would deaden the nerve endings in the ear canal. Ginger is very good because it removes excess water from the labyrinth – which is what causes the spatial disorientation (lack of balance). Meniere's Syndrome makes you feel like you can fall from somewhere safe! Like sudden dizzy spells with apparently no explanation – only that usually a sound ticks them off – a horn, a gun shot, a backfire, a slammed door, some dogs bark just right! Ginger helps get rid of that sensitivity. When the background noises disappear with T/R Gingko Biloba Extract, and the balance gets better with Ginger then sounds are easier to hear and discern. After a few months on these herbs, she should have her hearing retested to see if sound confusion was causing the lack of "hearing" – Meniere's is like living in the midst of a noisy crowd – very hard to hear you neighbor and understand what he/she is saying. I do not know if these herbs will help your niece, but they have made life very livable for me. One other thought: Antihistamines will block the sound for me if it is intense at night, so I have tried the Homeopathic Cold and it works too--takes a couple of doses 15 minutes apart. She also might try Frankincense EO. It has been recommended for hearing loss. -Marilyn Navarro
Meniere's is a syndrome, not a specific disease. The nausea and vomiting come from the labyrinth, the "hearing" part of the ear. If there is too much liquid in the labyrinth, then the labyrinth produces too many electrical "sparks" causing an overflow into the vagus nerve center in the brain – so very literally the nausea and vomiting are "in the head" and in the head is where it must be treated (some medical doctors even prescribe Bonine or Dramamine because it is mechanically similar to sea sickness or motion sickness--but that only gets the symptoms). Ginger will reduce the liquid in the labyrinth, alleviating the symptoms of nausea and vomiting. Usually there is residual tinnitus – these respond to B-Complex, Gingko & Hawthorn and Ginger – but it takes a few weeks. The main question with Meniere's is where did it come from? Usually it comes from a viral infection of some sort. So you need to ask questions and find out if the poor victim has gotten over that or not. We have lots of good things for that. See the Forum pages – there are some good postings on Tinnitus there. In severe Meniere's syndrome the sense of balance is completely lost. From my own experience years ago I know that it can be retrained by persistence. If the sense of balance in the inner ear is gone the result is nausea and vomiting. The brain can retrain itself if the person is really willing to work hard. I walked up and down a slanted board for hours while I continually looked up and said out loud the sky is up there, looked down and told myself again and again that the ground is down there. I paid close attention to the way the muscles in the calves of my legs felt as I walked up and down. I made it a game – how long can I go without grabbing onto the wall. It took several days, but the nausea went away in just an hour or so. Fixing the vision on the horizon and insisting that the horizon is not moving is another exercise. Between the muscles in the back and legs and the firm interconnection with sight this can be beaten. Then as the herbs do their work you will have a built in emergency system trained to tell you which way is up and which way is down. There are days still when if I stand with my eyes firmly closed I will loose my balance! Unless my feet are firmly planted, and I think about it, my eyes being shut takes away the firm link to orientation. But I don't get nauseated, and the herbs took away the tinninitus. Way back then, before herbs, I used Bonine for about a year, gradually going further and further between doses. Hiking over hills, going up and down stairs and concentrating on what my body was saying about orientation was the real winner. -Marilyn Navarro
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index -> Forum Archive All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: