Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index Nature's Sunshine Products NSP
For customer and distributor discussions of Nature's Sunshine Products. Not an official site of NSP.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Insect Repellent Ideas

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index -> Forum Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CombinedNSP
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec Fri 15, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject: Insect Repellent Ideas Reply with quote

Insect Repellent Ideas

Internally, I've had good luck taking Garlic and Balanced B-Complex. To spray on externally, add several drops of Tea Tree Oil to water and put in a spray bottle. Obviously, avoid your eyes. Also a few drops of Tei Fu Oil in Irish Moss Hand & Body Lotion keeps the buggers away. As well, I've heard stories that Peppermint Oil on the skin is a great deterrent. -Peggy
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
For your skin use Tei Fu Lotion. Works great. For a spray, either put Tei Fu Oil in a spray bottle of water, shaking regularly while you spray. Can also use Rue, Eucalyptus, and Citronella Oils - a little of each in a quart spray bottle of water. Shake while you use. A couple drops of Tei Fu Oils will stop and turn back a column of ants. -Georgiana
I have Pennyroyal planted in my vegetable garden. When I am going to spend time outdoors, I grab a handful and rub it on my skin. Works really well to stave off those outside critters. Of course, pennyroyal should not be used by pregnant women, but I know of no other contraindications. -Margaret
Mosquito Repellents - Making Your Own

This is a safe and effective alternative to commercial toxic preparations! Using herbs and essential oils, you can prepare your own...

The most frequently used natural mosquito repellent is citronella essential oil. Extracted from the plant Cymbopagon nardus and has a pleasant citrus-like aroma. Usually the citronella is simply mixed with a base such as oil or alcohol at a strength of 5-10%

Citronella Repellent: 2 ounces witch hazel extract
60 drops citronella essential oil

Preparation: Put 2 ounces of witch hazel into a lotion or spray
bottle. Add 60 drops of citronella essential oil. Label properly. Shake well before each use.

This is approximately a 5 % dilution. For a 10 % dilution use 120 drops of citronella. Witch hazel extract is non-drying and medicinally soothing to insect bites.

You may use olive oil, rubbing alcohol, vodka, or prepare a lotion in place of the witch hazel, if you'd like.

Citronella Lotion 2 ounces distilled water
2 ounces olive oil 120 drops citronella essential oil

Put water into a deep mixing bowl. Drizzle in the oil slowly and
beat vigorously with a wire whisk. By the time all the oil is added
you should have a nice creamy white lotion. Stir in the citronella
oil. Pour into a lotion bottle! Label and enjoy.

Insect Repelling Plants
Fleas: Brewers Yeast & Garlic/Pennyroyal (caution can cause abortion with pets/humans)

Pyrethrum Daisy (great for plant pets, too in your garden!)
ANT REPELLENTS: TANSY
Moths (in pantry):
MINT
-Sammye Lamb
Tea Tree spider repellent
Every time the weather warms a little, I have a severe problem with the spiders coming inside. Yuk, I hate spiders!

I put about 4 drops of Tea Tree Oil in water in a spray bottle and spray the air/floor vents, around the pipes under the sinks, the door thresholds, the cable wire entry and I haven't seen a spider in over a month! -Candy Arnold
Grasshopper Killer
Heard a new pesticide remedy for bugs on your plants yesterday. Put a clove of garlic and jalapeno peppers in your blender then mix with a gallon of water and spray on plants. The grass hoppers are taking us away here in Central Texas and they say one squirt and they go belly up.

We have corn fields close to here that have been reduced to stalks and the yards in town are full of them. They are a month early and are expected to be here until a freeze. Any other organic remedies for insects will be greatly appreciated. -Frances Burt
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index -> Forum Archive All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: