Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index Nature's Sunshine Products NSP
For customer and distributor discussions of Nature's Sunshine Products. Not an official site of NSP.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hypoparathyroidism

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index -> Forum Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CombinedNSP
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec Fri 15, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject: Hypoparathyroidism Reply with quote

Hypoparathyroidism

My daughter has had cerebral palsy symptoms for the past 3 years. At the age of 3 now, she cannot sit on her own or even walk yet. We have recently discovered that she has hypoparathyroidism. Can hypoparathyroidism cause spacisticity in her limbs to the extent that she cannot walk? We have put her on calcium and D3 supplements, but it has been 4 weeks now, with no improvement. Has irreversible damage been done because her illness was not diagnosed sooner? What can be done to rectify the problem? -Christine
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I did a 'Google Search' for Hypoparathyroidism. Many articles came up. This is an excerpt from one of them that, I think, does answer this part of your question -- in that it says it can cause muscle spasms. But, someone else will have to answer how to feed the parathyroid to help nutritionally. Hope this helps somewhat.

"Hypoparathyroidism is the disease caused by a lack of PTH. Blood calcium levels fall, and phosphorus levels rise. Low blood calcium levels may cause symptoms such as tingling in the lips, fingers, and toes. It may also cause muscle cramps or spasms."

"The most common cause of hypoparathyroidism is injury to the parathyroid glands during head and neck surgery. Rarely, hypoparathyroidism is a side effect of radioactive iodine treatment for hyperthyroidism. PTH secretion also may be impaired when blood levels of magnesium are low, or when blood pH is too high, a condition called metabolic alkalosis."

"DiGeorge syndrome is a childhood disease in which hypoparathyroidism occurs due to a total absence of the parathyroid glands at birth. Familial hypoparathyroidism occurs with other endocrine diseases, such as adrenal insufficiency, in a syndrome called type I polyglandular autoimmune syndrome (PGA I)."

"The risk factors for hypoparathyroidism include recent thyroid or neck surgery, a family history of parathyroid disorder, or certain autoimmune endocrine diseases such as Addison's disease."
-Georgiana
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I don't know if hypothyroidism can cause they symptoms you mention. To get an understanding of the condition and some of the possible tests, I suggest reading 'Overcoming Thyroid Disorders' by David Brownstein, MD.
I read it and all my mother's symptoms finally made sense. -Randee
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index -> Forum Archive All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: