Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index Nature's Sunshine Products NSP
For customer and distributor discussions of Nature's Sunshine Products. Not an official site of NSP.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fibrocystic Breast Disease

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index -> Forum Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CombinedNSP
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec Fri 15, 2006 9:40 pm    Post subject: Fibrocystic Breast Disease Reply with quote

Fibrocystic Breast Disease

Caffeine Related
Yale University scientists say caffeine consumption appears to be linked to fibrocystic breast disease, a benign condition some experts think is associated with breast cancer (Journal of the National Cancer Institute 72:5, 1015, 1984). The researchers interviewed 634 women with fibrocystic breast disease and more than 1,000 women without the disease concerning their usual daily intake of coffee, tea, cola, cocoa, and chocolate. They found that the odds of having the breast condition were about 2.3 times greater for women who consumed 30 mg. or less daily. Smaller increases in risk were observed for lower caffeine consumption though there was still risk.

According to Dr. Colleen Boyle, director of the study, some scientists have suggested that caffeine may alter protein-synthesis in breast cells, resulting in the proliferation of breast tissue.

Are you looking for a Caffeine-Free coffee substitute? Try NSP's Herbal Beverage. It contains roasted barley, malt, chicory, rye, and herbal flavorings. (Note: Many nutritionists feel that the chemicals used to decaffeinate beverages may be worse for you than the caffeine!) Another excellent hot beverage is made by stirring one teaspoon of Vegetable Seasoning broth into a cup of water: It tastes so much like chicken broth, you won't believe that it is just dehydrated vegetables! (This is a once a year availability product.) If you like lemon, you may like to try Vita Lemon, a high-energy beverage with L-Carnitine!
Kelp, an Antidote to Breast Cancer?

The incidence of breast cancer in different countries varies tremendously. Japanese women, for example, are much less prone to develop breast cancer than American women. Of those who do develop it, the women in Japan live longer than those in the United States or in England. Dietary factors, particularly fat consumption, have long been suspected to play an important role in causing or promoting the growth of cancer in the breast.

Jan Teas, a researcher affiliated with the Harvard School of Public Health concludes from a study of available evidence that kelp in the diet may be an important protective factor. Kelp is brown seaweed of the genus Laminaria, which grows in cold water. Kelp contains indigestible carbohydrates or ‘fiber' that increase fecal bulk and feed a type of intestinal flora which may produce less carcinogenic (cancer-causing) substances. Kelp has been used in Chinese traditional medicine to treat cancer, according to reports published in the medical literature.

Reference: Healthline, 11:8 (August, 1983), p.20.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Iodine Relieves Fibrocystic Breast Disease
By Jonathan V. Wright, M.D.
It's this fibrocystic breast thing. Mary Hillman said. "It's been there on and off for years, but the last year or two it's really been getting bad. My husband can't hug me sometimes without me practically screaming. My mother has it too; she says it finally got better after her periods stopped, but she was 51 then and I'm 33 now. I don't want to have this problem for another 18 years," added Hillman.

"Is it worse before periods?" I asked. "Sure it. Some months I can hardly wear a bra for two weeks, but other times it isn't quite that bad. But it's there all the time. A lot of months I can't sleep on my stomach. I know it isn't dangerous or anything. My previous doctor insisted I have a mammogram and that was OK, but, if there's anything I can do, I'd like to know My mother suggested I come here," she said. "Have you stopped drinking or eating everything with caffeine? Coffee, chocolate, tea, cola drinks and so on?" I asked.

"Yeah, my mother told me to do that so I did, except for chocolate every once in awhile. Funny thing, the doctor told me caffeine doesn't cause fibrocystic disease and she almost had me convinced, but when I tried two cups of coffee after I hadn't had any for awhile I noticed I hurt worse. I decided my mother was right after all." "Mothers often are," I said. "So why did the doctor tell me that?" Hillman asked. "She's partly right, but unfortunately not for you. Women who have fibrocystic breast disease are almost always caffeine-sensitive; whereas women who don't have fibrocystic problems frequently aren't. It's likely a genetically based biochemical difference. It shows us once again that health is an individual matter, and that one size rarely fits all," I explained. "Well, one good thing my doctor told me was to take some Vitamin E Hillman said. I was surprised because she has never recommended a vitamin in all the years I've been seeing her. Is the Vitamin E helping?" I asked. Well, it did at first, but now not so much any more. Maybe a little" she said. "Anything else you've tried?" I asked. For the fibrocystic, you mean? No, that's why I'm here. I don't know about anything else, but I am taking Vitamin C and a Multiple Vitamin, plus I'm watching my diet like mother raised us all to do. I don't eat sugar or junk food, except every once in awhile. I can't be perfect all the time you know," Hillman added. "Right," I agreed. "Please come to the exam room." "Gee, I've had so many exams By Dr. Thoreau on this problem, and It hurts every time and it's always the same thing. Don't you think we could just skip over that and go ahead anyway?" Hillman asked. "We could if you insist. But, since this is the first time you've been here, it really is wise to check," I said. "I'll make sure it's as gentle as possible." "I guess you're right," she agreed. "Let's get it over with." Her examination showed numerous lumps of various sizes scattered throughout both breasts. As she had predicted, they were very tender. The rest of her checkup was normal.

"So what can you do?" she asked. "My mother read your books and said something about iodine, but she wouldn't tell me anything else other than I should check with you. I haven't had time to read up on it myself with the kids and working. "Your mom is right again," I said. "In the 1930s, Dr. John Meyers found a treatment program centered around iodine would usually eliminate fibrocystic disease entirely. Decades later, Dr. Beniamin Eskin performed a painstaking series of animal experiments proving that iodine has an effect on breast tissue entirely independent of the thyroid gland.

"A few years ago, Dr. Ghent from Canada demonstrated once again that iodine relieves fibrocystic breast disease. Unfortunately, neither Ghent nor Eskin gave Mvers credit for his original discovery. I wrote her the prescription and after a little further discussion, she left. Eight months later, her pain had disappeared and the fibrocystic nodules were almost entirely gone. She's had no problem in the several years since.

Editors note: For a recent research update on iodine and fibrocystic breast disease, readers should see Ghent, W.R., Eskin B.A., et al., and "Iodine Replacement in Fibrocystic Disease of the Breast,"

Can J Surg. 1993; 36: 453-46a Dr Wright is in private practice in Washington State. His Tahoma Clinic Nutrition and Allergy Hotline answers inquires. Please call (800) 826-8924 between 3 and 5 p.m., PDT, Monday through Thursday.
Source: Lets Live, August 1994.

Suggested Supplement List:
1200-1600 IU. Vitamin E (natural)
6 - 10 Kelp, TS II or KC-X (iodine rich herbs)
8 - 12 Capsules a day of Chamomile

These and other quality products are available from the following Independent Distributor of Nature's Sunshine Products: (Place your name and address here)
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index -> Forum Archive All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: