Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index Nature's Sunshine Products NSP
For customer and distributor discussions of Nature's Sunshine Products. Not an official site of NSP.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cholesterol - Eggs Lower - Article

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index -> Forum Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CombinedNSP
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec Sat 16, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: Cholesterol - Eggs Lower - Article Reply with quote

Cholesterol - Eggs Lower - Article

To utilize all the links in this article - click on the link below. Note the references to Omega 3 Fish Oils and DHA. NSP's source is SAFE!! G.

Eggs Improve Bad Cholesterol

Many people steer clear of eating eggs altogether. However, what they may not know is that eggs do not cause an increase in cholesterol, nor do they increase the risk of heart disease.

With the high number of people in northern Mexico suffering from coronary artery disease (CAD), researchers felt it was essential to study the possible causes of the disease. More importantly, it had yet to be discovered what the effect of dietary cholesterol and risks of CAD was for children living in this region.

Thus, experiments were conducted in order to learn the effect whole eggs, or an equivalent amount in egg whites, had on cholesterol levels in children.

The Study:

29 girls and 25 boys were tested Subjects ranged in ages 8-12 Subjects were randomly assigned to two groups: whole eggs or egg whites consumption After 30 days in one period, along with a three-week washout period, the subjects were switched to the alternate testing The Results:

LDL levels increased after consuming two eggs a day, but decreased when broken down by subclasses of LDL cholesterol Eating two eggs a day helped maintain LDL/HDL cholesterol levels American Journal of Clinical Nutrition October, 2004;80(4):855-861

------------------------------

Dr. Mercola's Comment:

What researchers in previous studies never took into account while studying the link between bad cholesterol and eggs are the specific subclasses of LDL cholesterol. The smaller subfractions of LDL are more dangerous and associated with an increased risk of heart disease, while the larger ones are not dangerous.

There have been a number of previous studies that have supported the idea that eggs do not increase your risk of heart disease. So rest assured, you can go ahead have your eggs, for they are one of the healthiest foods in the world.

Knowing what to look for and where to find healthy eggs is the first step to take when selecting your eggs. Here are some important guidelines to follow to ensure you are getting the best quality eggs:

Check the box to make sure the eggs are free range organic.

If your eggs have omega-3 added that is a plus, but not necessary as you have to be careful of the source anyway.

If you can, contact the company providing your healthy eggs and find out what they are feeding their chickens. An egg is considered organic if the chicken was only fed organic food and will not have bioaccumulated high levels of pesticides from the grains (mostly bioengineered corn) fed to typical chickens. If they are using flaxseed to increase the omega-3 fats they won't be as beneficial as if they feed the chickens seaweed or kelp, which have the far more beneficial DHA and EPA.

I recommend purchasing your eggs from the farmer directly if at all possible; this way you can be certain of the quality. If you cannot find a farmer to sell you eggs directly, then organic eggs from the store would be your next best option. It is also wise NOT to refrigerate your eggs. If you have ever been to Europe or South America and gone into the grocery stores you will know that this is commonly done in those countries.

Just as important as where you buy your eggs is how you prepare them for consumption.

This may come as a shock to you but it is best not to cook your eggs. This helps preserve many of the highly perishable nutrients such as lutein, and zeaxanthin, which are powerful prevention elements of the most common cause of blindness, age related macular degeneration. This also means there is no sense in taking supplements for these incredible antioxidants when you get the nutrients for free from eggs.

Some may be concerned about the risk of salmonella from raw eggs, but I analyzed the risk in a past article and found most people have a better chance of winning the lottery than contracting salmonella from eggs from healthy chickens. Personally, I consume three raw eggs nearly every morning as part of my breakfast and believe it has enormously contributed to my health.

Related Articles:

Don't Be Chicken of the Egg

Infants Tolerate Adult Equivalent of 40 Eggs Per Week

Eggs Not a Likely Source of Salmonella Contamination

People are Buying More 'Designer' Eggs

Eggs Can Prevent Breast Cancer

I am so delighted to read the results of these studies, especially since I am an egg lover and am currently taking medication for cholesterolosis. I am, however, curious about the "free range, organic" portion of the description on how to select eggs. What real difference is there compared to the usual store bought eggs. -Georgiana Tiberio
- - - - - - - - - -
I'm so delighted to meet another "Georgiana" -- especially spelled "my" way!!! How DO you do?

Back to eggs -- Try fresh eggs, besides the health issue, there is no comparison in taste!! Fresh have flavor and actually stay together in a pan. Organic ANYthing is better. Store eggs can have been stored for enormous lengths of time is what I was told. (Like a year or more). Now, I don't know if it's true, but I heard they were dipped in or sprayed with formaldehyde to prevent spoiling. Whatever -- organic is better. Free range, might have more implications, but the way commercial hens live is a horror story. I bought some "retired" layers from a local eggery. Nails a foot long. They lived in little cages, just big enough to eat and defecate. THAT is their entire life.

Health wise -- the most important thing I think of is fertile eggs vs non-fertile. A fertile egg does NOT have a little chick in it. You can get a bloody egg from any hen. The fertile eggs have the right amino acids so that you utilize your cholesterol correctly. Cholesterol is necessary -- but, it's the type and how you utilize it that is critical.

IF you have cholesterol issues -- you want to look at other things besides cholesterol in foods. Do write another NEW question regarding this so we can start a new thread with this topic. Hope this helps. -Georgiana
- - - - - - - - - - - -
I would live to "second" what Georgiana D. wrote - the taste of form-fresh, fertulized eggs is FABULOUS! They are golden yellow and cook so beautifully. Most importantly, farm-fresh, fertilized eggs are LOADED with Omega 3's (vs. "egg farm" eggs, which are full of xeno-estrogens and have virtually NO Omega-3's!!). Omega 3 is crucial for a healthy circulatory system.

We already eat farm-fresh eggs, but my husband started on the 90-day Habit of Health challenge two months ago, and his good cholesterol has climbed 20 points, and his bad cholesterol has dropped 30 points in just two months' time! I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't seen it myself!!

By the way, fertilized eggs are so good for you, you can eat them every day! They will NOT cause your cholesterol to rise. -Sharon Grimes

Dr Mercola -- Eggs are Beneficial
http://www.mercola.com/2004/oct/13/eggs_cholesterol.htm
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index -> Forum Archive All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: