Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index Nature's Sunshine Products NSP
For customer and distributor discussions of Nature's Sunshine Products. Not an official site of NSP.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chinese Herbs

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index -> Forum Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CombinedNSP
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec Sat 16, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject: Chinese Herbs Reply with quote

Chinese Herbs

I remember taking your class on Chinese herbs many years ago and I thought you or someone had said to only take one Chinese remedy at a time. I know we have to be careful to not use combinations that have opposing actions, but I just had a client fill out the "What is Your Chinese Constitutional Type?" and she had 3 areas where she scored about the same: excess wood 10 (total wood 15), deficient fire 9 (total fire 16), excess water 10 (total water 16). Her total combined excess is 44 and total combined deficient is 42. Sagging Chi was 7 and Deficient Chi was 8. I saw the latest herbal hour video on Chinese herbs and my upline gave me this questionnaire, but I'm not sure I know exactly which numbers to determine what to use.

She is experiencing a lot of anger right now and much emotional distress, so I am leaning toward the liver balance. Would this be your recommendation. Can she take something for the deficient fire and excess water at the same time? Is the excess water causing the deficient fire (water puts out fire)? I really want to understand this better. -LaVerne Cribbs
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
LaVerne, I was given the opportunity to sit in on a 1 hour workshop recently on the Wood Element - very interesting. Spring is the when the wood element "wakes up" and winter is when water is the dominant element, so I would think to go with wood. -Carol Matz
There is a sequence of elements that are helpful here in understanding her condition. Water grows wood, which feeds fire. So the kidneys are the mother to the liver, feeding it. The liver is the mother to the heart, feeding it. The kidneys are restrained by the heart, which is weak and cannot properly restrain the overactive kidneys. In some ways, helping all affected organs is necessary, but helping each affected organ will contribute to the better. If the heart fire can be reignited, it will help use up the excess wood, which will in time allow better use of the excess water.

I would say that you could start with any of these. The anger is definitely a liver issue, as is depression. Fear is the dominant emotion of the kidney and the heart's dominant emotion is joy (it's loss is sorrow.) So if a specific symptom is strongest, that may be your lead to try first. As one game plan, you could try the Kidney Activator for a few weeks. Along with it you could try a general tonic herb that addresses all elements, like ginseng or schizandra (if it is available to you.) The ginseng may overstimulate the liver, so I might be tempted to use the American version rather than the Korean. Give it at a different time of day than the Chinese formula. It also benefits by using Bifidophilus Flora Force. The correct bacteria in the gut enhance it's breakdown and increase absorption.

Instead of the ginseng or schizandra single, you may also find the AdaptaMax very helpful. It have not tried it, but the mix of adaptagens is excellent and it may be a great addition to the kidney formula or whatever one you start with.

Nutri-Calm would be a great addition. It contains schizandra and the B-6's which really help with stress. I hope this gives some helpful background. -Richard Lund
The reason I don't recommend trying to take more than one Chinese herbal formula is because it's hard to tell what's happening. Also, each formula is fairly balanced within itself and has ingredients that take care of other organs and systems.

Since water "douses" fire, excess water and deficient fire go hand in hand. But excess water also creates excess wood which feeds fire.

I find the emotional indications to be the best guides as to which formula to try first. Since she is expressing excess anger, this is a sign of excess wood, so I would also lean towards the liver balance. Clearing excess wood energy would hopefully increase fire which would reduce water.

The point is, that you don't know how many things are going to shift when you try one formula because everything is interconnected. If, after you had her on liver balance, you found that she still had a few symptoms of say fire deficiency, you could possibly try that combination next. Health is not static, it is dynamic, so she wouldn't be on liver balance forever anyway. I tend to do therapy in a kind of serial fashion, picking what I think is the most important issue, working on that until I get improvement, then moving onto the next one. If I try to do too many things at once I don't seem to do as well. -Steven
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index -> Forum Archive All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: