Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index Nature's Sunshine Products NSP
For customer and distributor discussions of Nature's Sunshine Products. Not an official site of NSP.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cat -Virus

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index -> Forum Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CombinedNSP
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec Sat 16, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject: Cat -Virus Reply with quote

Cat -Virus

I just purchased 2 kittens from the human society. They are both 8 weeks old, aprox 2 lbs. They have had one series of vaccines, I will not be vaccinating them again. The human society also uses Revolution for fleas. They have already been neutered & spayed.
I also have an older male at home, 14 years old, in good health, who has not been vaccinated.

Here is my problem. The male kitten has been sneezing, from what I am being told by my vet. they have a very contagious upper respiratory virus, he also found a parasite in their stool. They were both running temps.

I have kept them separate from my older male cat. The vet has prescribed Albon for the parasite & Amocicillin for opportunistic bacteria. There is no treatment for the virus itself. Let me control myself here, the vet says that the kittens, as well as my older cat, have NO immune system because they were not fully vaccinated.

I have been giving the kittens Elderberry, ALJ & Colloidal Silver. My older cat Elderberry & ALJ. Only 1 kitten is symptomatic, mostly his nose is very clogged with brownish mucous, which I clean the best I can with Saline. Because they are so tiny, I am being cautious with herbals.

I would like some suggestions, can I use VS-C, is there anything else I can be doing. And what would be the best choice to keep my older guys immune system (even though he has none, Lord, help us)up and running. -Susan Rothman
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Diffusing Breathe Free works with cats. VS-C is wonderful for kitties, also. You could also give them Nature's Fresh for enzymes to boost their immun system (a dropper 2-3x daily).

Where does the vet think cats got their immune systems before wonderful modern man developed vaccines?? ;~) -Miss Sunshine
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
This is quite common for cats coming from the Humane Society. What happens is it very stressful to be in these places and the stress lowers the immune system. Now on top of that kittens being spayed at 2 months?? Awful. Now this adds to the stress and bam, upper respiratory infections spread from cage to cage like wildfire. Now you will have to keep your older cat away from your new kittens. You will also have to wash your hands every time you treat the kittens so you do not pass the virus to your older cat. That means shoes too as this is foamite transmission. I would try the liquid Ech-Goldenseal combination tincture. 6 drops 3 times a day. To boost the older cats immunity, the Astragalus is very kind. You might have mis-heard the vet when he said "no immunity" as all creatures have immunity. He might have meant antibodies to this virus. These guys get tired and say the wrong thing some times. Give the antibiotics to the kittens, make sure their temperature stays around 102.5. The biggest danger is dehydration. You can lift the skin on their necks up a little and it should spring right down. If it does not do this, they need to be hospitalized at a new hospital, not the humane society as cats are already infected. Hope this helps. -Suzanne
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index -> Forum Archive All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: