Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index Nature's Sunshine Products NSP
For customer and distributor discussions of Nature's Sunshine Products. Not an official site of NSP.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cat - Fleas

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index -> Forum Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CombinedNSP
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec Sat 16, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject: Cat - Fleas Reply with quote

Cat - Fleas

I mixed up a spray bottle with water, Sunshine Concentrate, Nature's Fresh and Lemon oil and sprayed it on our kitten. Also bathed her in it. She was covered in fleas. This stuff stunned them so we could at least pick them off of her. I was amazed at how well it worked. I then sprayed the furniture and house with it to kill the larvae and eggs. -Robin
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Also using a flea comb helps to get them off. Keep a dish of water with the Sunshine Concentrate, Nature's Fresh and Lemon Oil by you to rinse the comb in. They even help you brush out the eggs and get their fur nice and clean. I give our cat and dog Garlic. I just opened the capsule and added a little into their food. Even the cat ate this when she needed it. By using our products, I've haven't had to use flea collars in years. -Chottsie
Do a bath with Sunshine Concentrate with a little bit of Lemon essential oil and spray them often with the Nature's Fresh. Once you kill the eggs you get rid of most of the problem.

We use the Paw Paw Shampoo in a spray of Nature's Fresh. The Chlorophyll in the water seems to help too. -Kimberly Balas
I wash my cats in soap with Tea Tree Oil and the fleas literally fall off dead. People say not to use Tea Tree with cats, but I don't seem to have a problem. Is it because my cats are larger than small dogs?? -Leslie Lechner
Paw Paw Lice Remover gets rid of fleas. -JCNurse
About 5 years ago (still have the cat) I brought in a 2 1/2 week old kitten the mother was not nursing to bottle feed. She had a few fleas and flea eggs which I did not want in my house. What I did was put a very small amount of Garlic in her kitten formula and then set to work on her with a flea comb. I don't believe I used essential oils other than a few drops of Tea Tree in a cup of water to dip the comb in for removing the eggs and drown the fleas. Now I could use some very diluted Paw Paw Shampoo to dip the comb in. -Cottsie
I have used Colloidal Silver with my cat when he came down with fleas, just in case, and had no problems with it. Some folks suggest adding it to their water, but my cat wouldn't drink it that way (picky little bugger), so I just added it to his wet food. -Keisha Hart
How about putting Thyme, Lavender or Sage Essential Oils on your hands and run them on your cat. Then you'll KNOW the oils are getting on your cats!! -Georgiana Duncan
One method of controlling fleas on cats is to plant aromatic herbs around your walkways and entrance to your house. The oils from the herbs rub on to the cats' fur and act as a natural flea repellent. Varieties include tansy, Sage, cat mint, Lavender, bee balm, chives, and Thyme.
Source: TheHerbsPlace.com (The Herbs Place)
About 5 years ago (still have the cat) I brought in a 2 1/2 week old kitten the mother was not nursing to bottle feed. She had a few fleas and flea eggs which I did not want in my house. What I did was put a very small amount of Garlic in her kitten formula and then set to work on her with a flea comb. I don't believe I used essential oils other than a few drops of Tea Tree in a cup of water to dip the comb in for removing the eggs and drown the fleas. Now I could use some very diluted Paw Paw Shampoo to dip the comb in. -Chottsie
You may want to try using Tea Tree Oil in a spritz, and/or added to their bath. Works for my pooch! -cory
There is a really great book give it a try Dr.Pitcairn's "Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs and Cats". -Rachel
There hopefully will be others talking about borax which dries the fleas up. This helps, but I live in Florida where they're REAL bad. If you must spray, spray the yard around your home. If at all possible, get rid of all carpeting you can't wash and replace with tile. Fleas breed in anything like carpet, bedding, etc. which get little or no washing. Bathe the pet frequently, but watch out for fleas jumping on you or the surrounding area. Make sure your neighbors are taking care of their pets if they have them. Otherwise, your fight will be a never-ending battle. Hope this helps! I've got tile floor and live in an area where they spray the yards. I've had no trouble with fleas since. -Erni
You can also spread iodized salt all over the floors and carpets and leave for a few hours, then come back and vacuum or sweep. The iodine kills the fleas. Also if you vacuum make sure you clean out the vacuum cleaner right away or else the salt will rust it. -Gwen
Unfortunately when they spray their yards you then have a problem with harmful pesticides getting into your ground water, air, etc. This is cancer causing. You can't kill every flea. It only takes one. This problem HAS to be resolved from the inside out. Herrings Law of cure - everything heals from top to bottom, inside out, and in reverse order. Clean up the pets diet. Get them on Pet Ration for dietary and digestive support. Spray their coat with a mixture of Tea Tree Oil (just a bit) in water. If they have hots spots from the fleas, add Aloe Vera Juice. I had one dog die from allergy to fleas. The dog I have now almost died. At 9 years old she's now happy and beautiful from applying natural remedies and not chemicals. Fleas will not bother a properly nourished animal. Another thing, NSP's Garlic capsules opened onto the pets food also work. Pet Ration is the best though. -Chottsie
What ever you do....do not use Tea Tree or essential oils on your cats. It is very toxic. The only safe way to get fleas off kittens is to use a flea comb. Fill a glass with water and put a small amount of dish washing liquid in. Flick the fleas in this glass but do not dip the comb in the glass and they will drown.

Next you will need to clean all bedding and vacuum carefully to remove any eggs that are left behind. For every one flea you see, there are 100 more in the environment. The house and yard and bedding need to be treated and cleaned every 4-5 weeks for 6 months. Then every 6 months, then once a year. This is the life cycle of the flea.

Empty and use a new vacuum cleaner bag as the eggs will hatch in the vacuum. Pyrethrins are the safest to use but never on kittens less than 6 months old. Kittens you have to manually remove the fleas and keep it up. Bathing with baby shampoo or approved shampoos for kittens will help. Spreading Eucalyptus leaves in the cushions of the couch and chairs will discourage the fleas from hanging out. - Suzanne
I read that some people use Paw Paw Shampoo (for lice) to treat fleas in dogs. I bought a bottle and I have a question regarding the treatment. As the treatment on the bottle is for children with lice I assume I do not follow those directions (would be kind of impossible to contain a dog for 1 hour anyway). Please anyone that has used this explain what I should do to use this shampoo for flea treatment and the success of it. He has some fleas now (he gets them from playing with dogs in the park) and I don't want to use the poisonous stuff if at all possible(however I have had to resort to it in the past). Any information would be greatly appreciated and soon. Thank you. -Beverley Roth
I had the same question and asked Dr. McLaughlin about it at the Regional Meeting where Paw Paw Cell Reg was announced. He said to leave it on the dog for about 5 minutes (the same length of time most flea shampoos state). My dogs don't have fleas but I use it anyway! -Mike
I live in Hawaii and the house we bought is up on "post and pier". It is a popular place for outdoor pets to lay and sleep. When we moved in our cat started going under the house and ended up with fleas. We were constantly treating her but not the source of the problem.

Local folks told us the cure was to cut eucalyptus branches and place them under the house. After complying to that advise I also used NSP's essential oil of Eucalyptus in a little soapy water to wash the floors and base boards. A mixture of the oil and water was used to spray the rugs. We've had no problem since. That was 3 years ago. Hope some part of that story helps you. aloha. -Marte Kliesh
- - - - - - - - - -
Q: Despite our greatest efforts we have gotten fleas in our yard and now in our house. I am pregnant so I am not suppose to be around chemicals (which I avoid when possible anyway) so my husband has treated the yard twice. The outside dogs and the yard are now flea free.

I bathe the inside dogs about once a week with Tea Tree shampoo for lice and it kills the fleas that are on them very nicely. But within a day or two we have the problem all over again. We did find larva in the dog taxi even though we change out and wash all bedding. I know that there must be fleas and eggs in our carpet that are jumping onto our dogs reinfecting them.

How can I treat the house without us all having to move out?
I appreciate any responses, and I thank you in advance. -Susie

- - - - - - - - - -

I live in Hawaii and the house we bought is up on "post and pier". It is a popular place for outdoor pets to lay and sleep. When we moved in our cat started going under the house and ended up with fleas. We were constantly treating her but not the source of the problem.

Local folks told us the cure was to cut eucalyptus branches and place them under the house. After complying to that advise I also used NSP's essential oil of Eucalyptus in a little soapy water to wash the floors and base boards. A mixture of the oil and water was used to spray the rugs. We've had no problem since. That was 3 years ago. Hope some part of that story helps you. aloha. -Marte Kliesh
Q: I need suggestions on how to keep flies away. I work at a place called Billie Swamp Safari in the middle of the Everglades. We have an awful time with flys and we can't put out poison because of the wildlife, they are really bad around the restaurant. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks. -Gwen
- - - - - - - - - -
I LOVE using Tei Fu Lotion . . . . feels cool, keeps bugs away and makes your skin feel soft.

We have used Skin So Soft from Avon in the past on our horses. . . . but I think I'd use Tei Fu Oil and Eucalyptus in a spray bottle of water now tho. . . . . Personally I think Skin So Soft stinks and my horses hated it. -Georgiana
- - - - - - - - - -
NSP's "Pau D'Arco Lotion" works great for mosquitos, so it may also work for flies too. Plus, if you get bit by ants or mosquitoes (or even spiders!), it really helps soothe your skin and stops the itching. -Laura Clement
- - - - - - - - - -
This works for me. Hang clear plastic baggies (i.e. sandwich bags bound with string) of water over areas where the flies enter (doorways) and/or gather. Not quite sure how it works but it does! -ptan
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index -> Forum Archive All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: